News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lenny Polakoff

Chicago golf help needed
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
Hi,

I am in need of a course to play in or w/in about 20 minutes of Glenview / Northfield, IL.  The Glen Club has an outing the day I need to play.  It's client golf, so I am not looking for a Muni if I can avoid.

Last resort will be to ask my pro to make a couple calls to private clubs but I would rather just look for a higher end daily fee or semi-private.   Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mitch Hantman

Re: Chicago golf help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »
One course that gets little press, but when I played it in 1999 it was a very pleasant surprise is Shepherd’s Crook in Zion. 

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
Lenny:

On the public side Pine Meadow could work, on the "gently private" side it may be worth calling Kemper Lakes. Both are closer to 30 min from Glenview (where I grew up), but are the best bets that I can think of off the top of my head.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »
One course that gets little press, but when I played it in 1999 it was a very pleasant surprise is Shepherd’s Crook in Zion. 

Shepherd's Crook is good, but it's a solid 45-60 min north of Glenview depending on traffic. If that's not an issue, Thunderhawk is also good and right next door to SC.
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »

If that's not an issue, Thunderhawk is also good and right next door to SC.

Pat:

You're gonna' start a side debate here. :D

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »
Another vote for Pine Meadow.  Just note that their emphasis is on golf and not the "club house" -- which resembles a double-wide that's 1/2 pro shop, 1/2 greasy spoon.  It works for me, though.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
I am a huge fan of Pine Meadow as well.

In terms of private courses, Merit Club isn't that difficult to get on.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
Stonewall Orchard isn't bad, except for the last hole.  It's got a nicer clubhouse/restaurant than Pine Meadow if that's important.  Google maps lists it at 50 minutes from Northfield/Glenview, but that doesn't seem right to me.  That said, if it's about the golf, Pine Meadow is better.  And it's got a nice practice facility.  I walk out there as a single on weekend afternoons all the time, so I can't imagine it's difficult to get out on a weekday.  It's pretty much my "go-to" course on that side of town.

As for private clubs in that area, I don't know how tough it is to get on, but I just played a practice round at Sunset Ridge Country Club today, which is really close to where you'll be, and it was in terrific shape.  Pretty tight, and too many trees, but it was fun to play.

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 09:36:55 PM »
Among the publics, Hillcrest in Long Grove was private until this year and is now operated as a "semi-private" by the same group that owns Royal Fox.  It wasn't a great track by any means but it was challenging and well maintained.  60's style large tees and greens.  Not to far fom where you are at.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »
Wow, no votes for Frank Govern Memorial nee Peter Jans? :(

The price at Thunderhawk has come down pretty drastically ($69 last Wednesday), and the course was in beautiful condition last week -- played there Wed and Thurs. Tonier clubhouse than you'll get at Pine Meadow, tho I'd probably take PM for the golf.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Make the calls-skokie, glenview, north shore, briarwood, evanston
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back