News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

My NEXT Ten
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:13:10 PM »
We have a thread on our last ten.... but how about one on our NEXT ten...?

Here are my next ten, please discuss and help me understand what I can expect, and any suggestions along the way...

Timuquana
European Club
Portmarnock
Royal County Down (36)
Royal Portrush (36)
Castle Stuart
Royal Dornoch (36)
County Louth
back to reality - Timuquana

Tom_Doak

Re: My NEXT Ten
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »
You're flying from Ireland to Scotland for two days, and then back to Ireland? 

What prompted that itinerary?

JESII

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 11:37:29 PM »
I would say...expect to feel like it went by too fast.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
You're flying from Ireland to Scotland for two days, and then back to Ireland? 

What prompted that itinerary?

The itinerary was set by my friend who's organized the trip... We're playing golf in the north and flying from Belfast to Inverness - playing Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch - then returning to Dublin for a round at County Louth before returning home.
I think he has a special fondness for Dornoch and felt it was worth the few days in Scotland. What are your thoughts?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
I always think it's a shame to see an itinerary that only stops at the Bucket List clubs.  I know I enjoy great courses all the more for comparing them to very good but not quite top class courses on the same trip.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
I always think it's a shame to see an itinerary that only stops at the Bucket List clubs.  I know I enjoy great courses all the more for comparing them to very good but not quite top class courses on the same trip.

This was my thought too.  However I don't have many other courses to recommend in the area between Dublin and Portrush.  And though I was always a huge fan of the Valley course at Portrush, and recommended that no one going there should fail to play it, I don't know how badly it's been compromised by the changes to the Dunluce ... other than that two of its best holes have been stolen and modified.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
I am just impressed that people know their next 10....that would be an extreme rarity for me. I am meant to play the foloowing in the next 2 or so months, but I hope to play some other courses that just come up. 

Woking
The Island
Baltray
Corballis
Kington
Trevose
Crowborough Beacon
Littlestone
Rye

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:31:47 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »

This was my thought too.  However I don't have many other courses to recommend in the area between Dublin and Portrush.  And though I was always a huge fan of the Valley course at Portrush, and recommended that no one going there should fail to play it, I don't know how badly it's been compromised by the changes to the Dunluce ... other than that two of its best holes have been stolen and modified.

I see no problem with playing County Louth,....but ..I'm not sure I would fly BACK to Dublin just for it.Though I really do like the course.

To Tom's point, between Dublin and RP, there's the mentioned Valley, The Island, Ardglass, Castlerock (with a cool releif 9) Portstewart, Louth, Layton and Bettystown etc.

I'm sure there are schedules and logistical/flight issues.
Enjoy.

Speaking of which, I just found out there are no more US nonstops to Belfast.....That's a real bummer
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:45:42 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Don Jordan

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
I am a couple of weeks away from my first trip to Ireland and Scotland, I am travelling with my non-golfing wife so have to manage how much I can get in. Spending time on this site has helped build the itinerary.

1. Royal Dublin (reciprocal)
2. Ballybunion
3. Royal Portrush
4. County Down
5. Royal Aberdeen
6. Cruden Bay
7. Royal Dornoch
8. Prestwick
9. North Berwick
10. Elie
11. Jubilee
12. Old Course
13. Carnoustie

Niall C

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
Getting off topic but I was just discussing with another member of this discussion board about the idea of a possible Carnoustie excursion. Then he mentioned the cost and I was flabbergasted. £175 for a single round on what is supposed to be a municipal ! I don't doubt they can charge that and get away with it but FFS where does this all stop ? The idea that public golf as being reasonably priced seems to have disappeared and now it is whatever they can get away with.

Niall

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
I am a couple of weeks away from my first trip to Ireland and Scotland, I am travelling with my non-golfing wife so have to manage how much I can get in. Spending time on this site has helped build the itinerary.

2. Ballybunion
3. Royal Portrush
4. County Down
5. Royal Aberdeen
6. Cruden Bay
7. Royal Dornoch
8. Prestwick
9. North Berwick
10. Elie
11. Jubilee
12. Old Course
13. Carnoustie
Don - if this great list is the result of having to 'manage how much you get in', might I respectfully suggest that you ALWAYS travel with your non-golfing wife! 😃
Peter

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:12:18 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Adam Uttley

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have a great run of courses through June and July:

Centurion Club
The Addington
Tandridge
Royal Ashdown
Castle Stuart
Dornoch
Woodhall Spa (both courses)
Goodwood
West Sussex
Kingsbarns
St Andrews Castle

Steve - I'd echo the point about going back to Ireland just for County Louth. See if you can persuade your trip organiser to squeeze The Island in. It's certainly possible to do both in the same day and it's got some great holes including the narrowest fairway you're ever likely to see

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »
Interesting observations.

We are returning to Dublin from Inverness to fly back to the states. It so happens that County Louth will be on the way out. We aren't making a special return just to play it.

It's my first golf trip to that part of the world and I am thrilled to play wherever our itinerary takes us. I haven't planned the trip, but we are working with a seasoned tour director who I presume knows what they are doing. I was delighted to be invited.

I wasn't asking for a critique of my itinerar, because it is set. I am interested in learning from those of you who have been there or live there if there is anything to be aware of that I may not see or know about myself - either on the golf courses, at the club's, in the towns, or along the way.

As I approach age 50 this year, I know it will be a trip of a lifetime with good friends. That is the real purpose.

David Davis

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »

2. Ballybunion
3. Royal Portrush
4. County Down
5. Royal Aberdeen
6. Cruden Bay
7. Royal Dornoch
8. Prestwick
9. North Berwick
10. Elie
11. Jubilee
12. Old Course
13. Carnoustie

Don, great list. don't you dare go all the way from Dublin to Ballybunion and not play Lahinch. If you have to drop something else in the list like Jubilee to make sure you can get a round at Lahinch in. Just my opinion, it's just such a unique and wonderful course.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »

Getting off topic but I was just discussing with another member of this discussion board about the idea of a possible Carnoustie excursion. Then he mentioned the cost and I was flabbergasted. £175 for a single round on what is supposed to be a municipal ! I don't doubt they can charge that and get away with it but FFS where does this all stop ? The idea that public golf as being reasonably priced seems to have disappeared and now it is whatever they can get away with.

Niall

Same could be said for TOC. Funny thing about Carnoustie is that back in '86 when I first played it the cost was £14 and even though it was a little ragged condition wise it was a better and more enjoyable course than when I played it in 2003 with a GF cost in excess of £100. To me the top end club GFs should be some where in the region of £80.

Jon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 06:20:36 PM »

Niall

Same could be said for TOC. Funny thing about Carnoustie is that back in '86 when I first played it the cost was £14 and even though it was a little ragged condition wise it was a better and more enjoyable course than when I played it in 2003 with a GF cost in excess of £100. To me the top end club GFs should be some where in the region of £80.

Jon

Perhaps its the Torrey Pines of Scotland?  They gouge you to play that one given its history with tournaments and all...

Don Jordan

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »

2. Ballybunion
3. Royal Portrush
4. County Down
5. Royal Aberdeen
6. Cruden Bay
7. Royal Dornoch
8. Prestwick
9. North Berwick
10. Elie
11. Jubilee
12. Old Course
13. Carnoustie

Don, great list. don't you dare go all the way from Dublin to Ballybunion and not play Lahinch. If you have to drop something else in the list like Jubilee to make sure you can get a round at Lahinch in. Just my opinion, it's just such a unique and wonderful course.

I really wanted to play there but they have an event wont he day we are in town. I am staying next to the course so will go for a walk around and take some photos instead unfortunately,

Ira Fishman

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Lahinch is completely unpretentious. Suggest checking even at last minute if there is open slot in event. Really is a special place.

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 03:16:22 AM »
I used to love compiling these lists with all sorts of exciting golf trips on the horizon.

Now with two kids, 3ys & 8mths, my next ten is NSWGC x 10 and it will probably take me until November to play them!

One of the good things about FB & Twitter is vicariously enjoying other people's golf travels (like Whitty's current Scotland trip and Simon Holt's 69 at TOC today) and remembering my own trips past through the social media of clubs, their pros and supers.

Ash Towe

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 05:09:25 AM »
Scott,

Your turn will come again.  Not a bad place to wait in the meantime

Glad to see all is well with the family.

Jud_T

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
This is half real and half maybe:

Spring Valley
Shoreacres
Beverly
Sand Valley
Kingsley
Greywalls
The Loop
Warren Course
Battle Creek
Barton Hills
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:28:33 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back