News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Somewhat OT - Zokol elected to Canadian Golf Hall of Fame
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:55:11 PM »
This might be somewhat off topic. But there's been a lot of discussion here about Sagebrush, so I thought I'd let anyone interested know that today it was announced that my friend, Richard Zokol, has been deservedly elected to the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame.

Congratulations, Dick!

Vancouver Sun article, of today:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Zokol+gets+well+earned+spot+Canadian+Golf+Hall+Fame/4244745/story.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:08:00 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Ian Andrew

Re: Somewhat OT - Zokol elected to Canadian Golf Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
Jeff,

I sent a note to him this afternoon.
I think the honour was quite overdue.

Congratulations Richard.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
Congratulations Dick!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Congrats!

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »
Congratulations Richard

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:07 AM »
I have met Dick a couple of times at Sagebrush. A true gentleman who is very passionate about the game of golf and GCA. Congrats Dick....

Pat Burke

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:00:14 AM »
Not sure he would even remember me, but as a clueless rookie, Richard was one of the few "vets"
who would be friendly and helpful without any effort.
Congrats Richard!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
Pat,

Dick wants me to let you know that he remembers you well. He says he has fond memories of you on Tour. And your brother, too.
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »
It might also be appropriate, on this occasion, for me to relay one of the best Zokol stories (which is architecture-related):

Zokol's playing in the Dunhill Cup, at St. Andrews. He was matched against Mark O'Meara. Zokol gets to the Road hole with a three stroke lead. The hole is cut directly behind the Road bunker. Both men drive down the middle of the fairway, then hit their approach shots into Road bunker.

Zokol has the honour. He decides O'Meara has a more difficult bunker shot, so attempts to play boldly toward the hole (rather than safe). He wants to basically end the match, then and there. Zokol says he executed the shot perfectly. But, his ball hits the top edge of the bunker, deflects up into the air, then drops straight down, right up against the vertical sod wall. He has no backswing for the next attempt, so he banks the ball off the sod wall, back into the bunker.

This bank shot finishes in his heel print. Terrible lie. He fails to get the ball out of Road bunker again, with the ball coming to rest in a mess of footprints. His fourth try from the bunker fails. Then he blasts out to about 30 feet from the hole. O'Meara makes 5. Zokol makes 9, to go two strokes down with one hole to play. A couple pars later, O'Meara is victorious.

Later that evening, watching television, devastated, Zokol sees his ordeal at the Road hole as part of the day's highlights. The commentator is Peter Allis (oh no!). As they show Zokol exiting Road bunker, Allis says: "It looks as though a couple of Shetland ponies were mating in there".  

Classic :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:24:02 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Matt Bosela

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »
What a great honour for Richard, one that is very much well-deserved.

In addition to being one of our country's finest amateur and professional players, Dick has proven to be a wonderful ambassador for the game in Canada, donating his time and expertise to both the RCGA and to aspiring young golfers.

Dick is a great conversationalist as well and loves talking architecture - one great part of the Sagebrush experience is sitting down with Richard in the Hideout over a steak and a glass of red wine, talking about the great courses of the world.

I know he lurks on the site from time to time so congratulations my friend!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »
Saw him play at the old Greater Milwaukee Open (RIP) a couple of times. Seems like a great guy. I remember he used to have a walkman with him.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »

After Will McEwan passed on the news, I sent Dick an email of congratulations and it is clear he is very honoured. Any of you who have been to Sagebrush know how he loves the firm and fast game in particular and he is always willing to talk GCA over a steak and wine in the Hideout, or out on the course. A true gentleman.

I am bringing the Road Hole bunker story from Jeff to his attention, in case he is not lurking today. I think that deserves a response!

Matthew, yes Dick was known as "Disco Dick" at the GMO, which he won in 1992, as he carried a Walkman and listened to it between shots to relax. Rumour has it he was listening to the BeeGees.

Pat Burke

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
Ahhh Jeff, nice to hear!
Tell him congrats from me!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
I will, Pat.

Dick says: "Pat's a very sharp guy, and he was very impressive and courageous when he stood up to, and put Lanny Wadkins in place in a debated issue that happened in a closed door PGA Tour player’s meeting. Lanny tried to intimidate Pat in a tête à tête. Lanny played a BS card stating that 'he’s been on Tour for 20-years…therefore...' intimating that he knew better than Pat. Pat looked Lanny right in the eye and said in essence, 'So, you being on Tour longer than I have makes you right?' He made Lanny look foolish... it was awesome."

Imagine this is as vivid in your mind as Dick's?!

jeffmingay.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
His induction ceremony will be held Tuesday July 19th in Vancouver at Marine Drive

http://www.golfcanada.ca/amateur-competition/amateur-championships/article3869.ece

Sandy Smith

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 11:58:18 PM »
If anyone is planning to attend the dinner for Dick and wants to play Marine Drive please let me know.
It will be a great night and a lot of fun. I just wish his dad Dr Joe was still around to share some really good stories!
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
As I responded before, really happy for Richard.
Always a good guy. 
Hope it is a great event!

Richard Choi

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
Had the pleasure of meeting Dick at Sagebrush and enjoyed it greatly. Congratulations.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »
I met him once, in 1992 at what was then the Canon Greater Hartford Open. I was browsing in the pro shop at the TPC of Connecticut when in leaving I somehow went out the wrong door and found myself in a roped-off area reserved for caddies and players to move between range and course without being bothered by fans like me. I find myself walking next to Dick and his caddy. Being Canadian, I could not resist the opportunity to greet a fellow Canadian and wish him luck. He stopped, asked where i was from, and when hearing "Halifax", immediately asked if i knew the pro at Ashburn Golf Club here, whom he remembered from playing here years earlier. We had a brief chat and he was remarkably friendly and gracious. I guess nice guys usually are.

Congratulations, Mr. Zokol! 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 03:12:07 AM »

Any chance he could become a member? 

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »

Any chance he could become a member? 

Could, yes. Will he? Highly unlikely ;D
jeffmingay.com

Mark Studer

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
I had the pleasure of being Mr. Zokol's walking rules official on friday at the pebble beach 2000 US Open.  He was a true gentleman and played very well. He just made the cut and went on to finish with a 69 on Sunday and make an excellent check for 2000(over$25,000). I remember his caddie wore a red brimmed pittsburgh pirate hat and was a big help to Mr. Zokol-kept him in the present and coooool.  I saw him at Southern Hills the next year and he pretended to remember me....dressed in the usga khaki slacks and a white oxford cloth cotton button down. Yeh sure, but CONGRATULATIONS Richard Zokol. You are a gentleman and represent golfers and the game so well,-eh! -Mark
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back