News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: The World's Best Short Par 4s
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »
Another vote for Pac Dunes #6.

Tom, would you care to comment on your creation? It would be neat to read your thoughts on that particular hole.

For those of you who've yet to experience it...

second that..

only driveable under unique circumstances and a perfect bounce!
It's all about the golf!

Trevor

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »
16 Friar's Head
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

archie_struthers

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »
 ??? 8) ???

The 8th at Pine Valley is so good

Left (original green of course),   It is drivable but the dangers all around it keep any but the foolish from trying except on a lark!    So much strategy and different ideas on how to play it.  Watson says driver to get it as close possible, I'm on board after seeing thousands of shots here in my youth..and a few more recently.....

Alex Miller

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »
HOLY CRAP. It hasn't been mentioned, but from the images available as well as the recently updated google earth imagery, I can GUARANTEE that LACC North #6 belongs in this group.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
Milwaukee CC #9
Rock Creek #15
Sand Hills #7
Mr Hurricane

David Whitmer

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »
#17 at Double Eagle.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 09:16:06 AM »
5th hole at Tobacco road

15th hole at TPC River Highlands

Doug Spets

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
#3 ANGC  Different pins call for different approaches and approach lengths...and different tee shots.  Missing short sucks...and missing  long isn't any picnic either with several humps behind the green....and, in most cases, very very fast.  Left pin fraught with danger...miss it long and you're looking at an extremely fast chip that might very well roll 25 yards from the green.  Incredibly underrated.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
I haven't played many of the newer short par 4's mentioned on this thread.  I agree with TOC #12, CPC #9, NGLA #1, #2, and #17, and many of the other ones mentioned as being worthy of recognition as great holes.  However, and I may be biased, I still have yet to find a short par 4 that compares to the strategic values of #10 at Riviera.  It's length (must be driven fairly long by a well accomplished golfer to reach the putting surface), it's width, bunker placement and angles/shapes of bunkers, pitch and angle of green and fairway mow lines are unequaled IMO.  I have yet to play a hole that has so many choices of how to play it.  Even better, the list of potential options on the second shot are just as endless as the tee shot.  It is an absolute genius design and should be enshrined in a "how to" museum of golf architecture.  One of the best "man made" designs ever, IMO.

The short par 4 is my favorite type of hole in all of golf.  The reason I hold so much respect for these holes is that they offer such a huge scoring value to all golfers.  They can make or break rounds easier than any other type of hole.  I haven't done any sort of analysis to back this claim up but I see them as the paramount hole of any round.  They are crucible holes where the  interaction between golfer and course is at its most scrutinized.  Short par 4's with the scoring opportunities are few in number and they present all golfers with that feeling of need to take advantage of them.  I can't tell you how many tournaments won or lost I have experienced or witnessed that have been decided on these holes.  I think we all know the feeling of making a bogey or even sometimes double-bogey on a hole we so expect to birdie or par at the very worst.  It leaves you scratching your head and wondering "what if".  

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
I really like the 14 at Loch Lomond. The 6th at Kingsbarn is a great hole, and the 8th at Brancepeth Castle is wonderful, not sure if its reachable but its a great hole.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Jonathan,

I think the really big boys just might be able to reach 8 at Brancepeth with a running draw but it's a hell of a long way.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »
5th hole at Tobacco road

15th hole at TPC River Highlands

I agree with 15 at TPC River Highlands. Although most of the tour players go for the green you have options.

Jamey Bryan

Re: The World's Best Short Par 4s New
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
I have to be a homer.....    5 at Camden Country Club has to be on the list.  Only place I've seen a really good player putt into the bunker from 5 feet, declare it unplayable and make the 5 footer for bogey to halve the hole.  Gene Sarazen said it was the best short 4 he ever played.

Jamey

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:05:27 PM by Jamey Bryan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back