News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Greenest course on tour?
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:29 PM »
Muirfield or Augusta?

Murfield is so green on HD it makes my eyes hurt  ;)

This cannot help local supers/golfers who want firm and fast

Tom_Doak

Re: Greenest course on tour?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
Jerry:

It's been a pretty wet spring here in the Midwest.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:17 PM »
Here's the catch though, some grasses are simply greener than others. I've played Harding Park and Pebble in California when they were "Augusta green" and both were plenty firm. Not St. Andrews or Bandon firm, but plenty firm enough for a very enjoyable round. Same with any number of courses in the South, though bermuda is not as green as the rye or poa or whatever they have as turf in Cali. "Firm and Fast" does not always mean brown, some grasses are simply really green in color if they are healthy. And in truth, type in a google search for pictures of Bandon Dunes, those pictures show some rather green grass. Green isn't bad.

Richard Choi

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
Jamie, not sure if your definition of firm and my definition of firm are the same. Not necessarily saying that either of us is wrong, but I have a hard time believing that a poa green is "firm" when it is very green, especially during summer. The greeness of poa reflects the moisture in the ground. There has to be fair amount of water in the ground for poa to be very green in the summer.

I have a hard time believing that greens can be that firm with that much moisture outside of Oakmont...

To me, the green is not firm if I have to fix/see any pitch marks.

Jamie Van Gisbergen

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
Jamie, not sure if your definition of firm and my definition of firm are the same. Not necessarily saying that either of us is wrong, but I have a hard time believing that a poa green is "firm" when it is very green, especially during summer. The greeness of poa reflects the moisture in the ground. There has to be fair amount of water in the ground for poa to be very green in the summer.

I have a hard time believing that greens can be that firm with that much moisture outside of Oakmont...

To me, the green is not firm if I have to fix/see any pitch marks.

Last week I was out in California and played Wildhorse in Davis. The greens were "Mountain Dew" green, kind of a slightly faded green. The fairways were green as the infield grass at Safeco Field and I was rolling the ball 40-50 yards on some tee shots. I hit a SW into #3, it hit the green, bounced 4 feet in the air and nearly rolled over the green. Those greens were very firm and, like I say, a slightly yellowish green, but still a very vibrant green color. And I am fairly certainly they were Poa, or at least a fairly significant portion of the grass was; I could certainly see the seed heads on the tops of the grass.

Bent grass in the South is much the same, still really green, but tends to white-out a little bit. And I've played bent grass in the South in the middle of summer that were like almost like pool tables, green in color, hard as rocks, and rolling over 13.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back