News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Carlson

Re: World's Best Non-Drivable* Short Par 4's
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
While theoretically drivable, no 5 at Dornoch has always been a favorite of mine.  It looks great from the tee and has loads of strategy.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
RCD #6 is a nice wee hole. The 8th on the 'wee course' is a great hole,  thought sometimes when I mess it up my opinion changes ;)

kurt bowman

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
I second

#14 Cabo del Sol
# 8 Cypress Point

and add #5 at Long Cove Club.

Kurt

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
merion #1
Garden City #9
Woodhall Spa #17
are three that quickly come to mind.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
PV # 8

Greg Tallman

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »
I second

#14 Cabo del Sol
# 8 Cypress Point

and add #5 at Long Cove Club.
Kurt

Oh Bowman... this Tressel mess has caused you to go completely MAD.

kurt bowman

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
Greg,

Yes this "Tressel Thing" is weighing on my mind no doubt. Having said that, I would have added #5 at Long Cove Club before the mess at OSU.

Here is what's great about it. Half the people that play it like it (me), half hate it (Lipe). Most importantly no one forgets it. Holes like that are good for golf as they make for great conversation. Also, if the ball didn't go so far I'd add #9 at Cypress Point which I doubt Mackenzie ever thought would be a driveable par 4.

I'd also add #12 at May River (yes I know that's biased). It's my favorite there, and I just played it again Friday. A great drive over the left waste area receives a huge reward. It's not all that short from the tips, but I don't play there anymore.

The "Dye Course" at Colleton has a great short par four but I can't remember what number it was. Maybe if Anthony Nysee is lurking he can remind us. BTW, Great post!

Kurt

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »
8 at Pine Valley is a great example. I flushed my drive and had about 60 yards off a downhill lie over the bunkers with the pin cut on the front/bottom tier.

That may be the toughest half-wedge I have ever faced, but as Tom says, you don't want to be any further back because the hill just gets steeper and you're holding more and more club.

Is there an advantage to driving way right? Even when the left-hand green is in play? I seem to recall the fairway on the hard right was somewhat flatter than down the left?

Anthony Butler: 14 at NSW is one of the best I have ever seen. Heaps of options on the drive and then a do-or-die second shot.

Ken Fry

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
I'll put #16 at The Warren Course at ND out there.  345 from the back tees (looks 100 yards further), wide open fairway (but doesn't play that way), what could be so tough?

Ken

Bill Brightly

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »
8 at Pine Valley is a great example. I flushed my drive and had about 60 yards off a downhill lie over the bunkers with the pin cut on the front/bottom tier.

That may be the toughest half-wedge I have ever faced, but as Tom says, you don't want to be any further back because the hill just gets steeper and you're holding more and more club.

Is there an advantage to driving way right? Even when the left-hand green is in play? I seem to recall the fairway on the hard right was somewhat flatter than down the left?

Anthony Butler: 14 at NSW is one of the best I have ever seen. Heaps of options on the drive and then a do-or-die second shot.

Scott,

Yes, the right side is the way to go. I accidently hit a crappy low slice was 25 yards right of my intended line. As I started to moan, the caddy said "you'll like that". When I walked over the ridge I found my ball in the last foot of fairway, as far right as you can be, and it was an EXCELLENT line of attack. I had about 80 yards to the left green and a bit of a backstop to hit into. Played to 10 feet past the hole on the left and made a wimpy birdie attempt.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:41:35 AM by Bill Brightly »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:50 AM »
8th at Valderrama and 13th at Valhalla. They are reachable for the big hitters but too risky to go for the green.

Ari Techner

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
I will second #3 at Prairie Dunes and add #8 at Sand Hills (from the back tee).  At 350y its only drivable for the absolute longest of hitters.  Ill also add #13 at Franklin Hills CC. 

Tim Nugent

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
#4 Spyglass pops in the mind.  You need to hit enough to get angle in to a very unique green.  Took a lot of balls to make that, especially at that time, and considering the author.
Coasting is a downhill process

Trevor

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »
#1 at TOC
#7 at Old Mac
#16 Pac Dunes
#8 Apawamis

I've seen someone drive it over the 17th at NGLA, but never on
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Trevor

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Also #3 at Eastward Ho!
"When expectations are low, they can be met"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back