News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: The World's Best Short Par 4s
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
It's been suggested the second at St. Andrews Beach (Gunnamatta) is potentially the best short 4 in the world.

With which holes is it competing for the title, and is it indeed the best?

Barnbougle Dunes 4
Royal Melbourne West 10
Riviera 10

and a few others have to give it a run for it's money...

MM

Riviera's 10th was in the first post! Also Merion east has been mentioned as having a few candidates (by Tom_Doak), but I too am surprised Oakmont's 17th hasn't been brought up.

Sorry! ;D Focused on the pics......

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
Travis,

try uploading them here:

http://tinypic.com/

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »

I too am surprised Oakmont's 17th hasn't been brought up.

In the 2007 U.S. Open there, it was almost impossible to drive the green.  They also made the layup shot real, real hard.  i.e. the hole seemed too penal to me. 

J Sadowsky

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Amongst (way) lesser known courses, #2 at Glenn Dale is a great short par 4.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Reddish Vale 16 8)

I mean it - it is truly a classic!

The hole is named 'Cotton's' after the former multiple Open champion Henry Cotton who wrote an article in praise of the hole in the national press in 1940. Here is a photo from the article;

And here is a photo of how it looks today;

And a Google Maps shot;

At 320 yards it is just about driveable, but the river on three sides of the green makes stopping the ball there tricky in the extreme. Most of us mortals play 100 yards short over the river and are faced with the pitch from hell into a tiny green surrounded by water.

The beauty of it is that there is absolutely nothing artificial about the hole; the green is at the end of a natural peninsular formed by the meandering river.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
CPC 9 is right up there.  2 at Muirfield is worth a shout.  But Mark B has the winner.  14 at Ganton is just a brilliant golf hole.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »
No love for Pine Valley #8?  I don't think #12 qualifies.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Assuming that we are not confined to sub 300 yarders

TOC 12
North Berwick 13
Lahinch 13
Kingsley Club 13
Rivermont 11
Lane Creek 14
Dormie Club 3
Crystal Downs - too hard to choose!

Alex Miller

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »
I prefer #1 to #6 at Pac Dunes, at least from the tees we played at the KP. Then again, how could I not like that hole when I birdied it both times and took driver both times  ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Only driveable holes for me and ones not already mentioned:

St Enodoc #4 - I will always admre this hole because it makes great use of dead land

Prestwick #16

Kington #18 (still my favourite and as you all know, the greatest finishing hole in golf)

The Island #14

Cruden Bay #3

Pennard #7

Portrush Valley #s 5 & 9 (perhaps the best course on the planet for short par 4s - they go a long way to making up for an unusually weak set of 3s for Colt)

Church Stretton #8

Stoneham #13

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:11:36 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jim Nelson

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 06:41:15 PM »
Ballyneal #7.  Ballyneal #12 is often overlooked because of #7, but another great hole.  Both offer up a legitimate shot at the green for long hitters, but also reward the strategic player with a well placed approach shot.  Being able to pick the teeing spot also adds to the tactics in match play.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Chris Cupit

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »
Here is Rivermont #11.  Yardage from the tips is 305 slightly downhill.

Here is a view from the twelfth tee looking down at the green.  This shows some of the contour on this small green (2300 sq. ft.).

A view from just left of the left front pot bunker:

I don't have pics but the hole plays straiight away.  First fairway bunker on left is 190-210, a second cross bunker mostly on the right is 240 to carry.  To the left pot bunker is 295 and there is a right front bunker at about 285-295.  The back right bunker is eye candy!  One of the last holes to be built, we had money for some fun!!

Also, a creek runs all down the right side tapering right just past the right front bunker.

Here is a picture of the right front bunker:

A pic of the left fairway bunker (background) and the cross bunker in the foreground:

Two more pics of the left pot bunker during the fall--nasty little thing!

Not sure it isn't an overstatement to say it is one of the world's best, but it is a good, fun hole and with tees at 305, 275, 240 and 220 it gives everyone a chance to drive it if they are longish hitters.

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 09:41:06 PM »
Winged Foot West # 6

Winged Foot East # 15

Westchester CC West #`s 1 and 16

Merion West #1, #7 and # 8

Fishers island # 3

Newport CC # 3

Piping Rock #5 and #13

Essex County Club # 17

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
Pacific Dunes #6

David_Elvins

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »
matt,

you made a big mistake by not defining 'short'.     :D
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Chris, maybe from 305 it isn't one of the best in the world...as almost everyone would lay up.  But I'm telling you, playing it from 265-275 it is freakin' awesome.  Everyone thinks they can drive it...if they just hit the perfect shot.  But I've yet to see someone pull it off and HOLD the green.

Heck, our man Eric Smith...Mr. two wood in the bag...who never hits driver.  Asked to borrow mine and give it a shot.  It is just the perfect distance to think it is possible.

I played it the other day with a pretty good golfer...2 handicap...from 275 yards.  He hit driver, pulled it a smidge, ended up in the Devl's Arsehole.  Hit out of the bunker, just caught the lip, landed on the fringe.  Putted at the hole, over looked the ridge due to its subtleness, 3 putted in total...bogey.  I did my 6 iron, wedge, putt, putt and won the hole.  :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
matt,

you made a big mistake by not defining 'short'.     :D
No mistake...this is a great thread!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
#17 The Downs.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
Sean you magnificent bastard I'm not reading your Kington book, no matter how many times you post that pic!

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »
I've always liked 15 at Pine Barrens.

WW

Chris Cupit

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
Chris, maybe from 305 it isn't one of the best in the world...as almost everyone would lay up.  But I'm telling you, playing it from 265-275 it is freakin' awesome.  Everyone thinks they can drive it...if they just hit the perfect shot.  But I've yet to see someone pull it off and HOLD the green.

Heck, our man Eric Smith...Mr. two wood in the bag...who never hits driver.  Asked to borrow mine and give it a shot.  It is just the perfect distance to think it is possible.

I played it the other day with a pretty good golfer...2 handicap...from 275 yards.  He hit driver, pulled it a smidge, ended up in the Devl's Arsehole.  Hit out of the bunker, just caught the lip, landed on the fringe.  Putted at the hole, over looked the ridge due to its subtleness, 3 putted in total...bogey.  I did my 6 iron, wedge, putt, putt and won the hole.  :)

6 iron!!!!!  I need a center bunker at 175 ;D

That is a small target from 100-125 yards or so.  Nice win--how did you do on 13?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
how did you do on 13?

No comment.   :-X

jim_lewis

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
Third at Pinehurst #2
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
Third at Pinehurst #2

Jim, you may be crusty but you're no clown. Jeezus that hole is a little diorama of terror.

John Shimp

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
18 palmetto. ( Also partial to 15 but many hate it. Everyone thinks they should score well and discount the green)
18 Woking. What a green. 
17 at chechessee creek.  I prefer 12 there but it's a bit long for this.
10 at yea mans hall. Big hitters can almost drive it now. Another fine green.  Brutally tough hole at times.  Lots of choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back