News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Green Chairman can make a big difference,
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »
good and bad.

Recently, I played a course that I've been playing for 50 years.

The course NEVER looked better.

The tree removal program has been dramatic, from a playing perspective, esthetically and agronomically.

In addition, the program to expand the putting surfaces back to their original configuration/footpad has been successful as it's recaptured long lost hole locations.

Some golfers perceive this as a negative because the slope of the perimeter of the greens, once a safe haven due to rough, is now a fall off that penalizes marginal shots.

The greens on this course were not expansive, like some of it's peers, thus heavy traffic sometimes took it's toll.

But, the expansion/recapture has provided more room for hole locations, thus diluting and diverting traffic from traditional hole locations, that were almost default locations due to lack of availability for other hole locations.

Fairways have been expanded and in some cases, parallel holes now share the same widened fairway.

On balance, in a matter of just a few years, the course has transformed from a narrow bowling alley to a course with more width, a course that's far more enjoyable to play.

And all of this was accomplished by our own Mike Policano.

He's to be congratulated, not just for his efforts, but, his education of the membership and the success he enjoyed in improving the course, architecturally, agronomically and play wise..

I've always maintained that to be a successful Green Chairman you had to have three things.

1     A love of the entity
2     Time
3     Intelligence

And, Mike has all three.

Ridgewood is lucky to have had his services.

I just hope that they're smart enough to retain him as Green Chairman........... for life.

Jason Topp

Re: Green Chairman can make a big difference,
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Congratulations Mike!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
Mike has been carrying out his devious plan for a few years now with the greens superintendent but had the membership known what he was doing they probably would have said no. Now that they have seen the results I am sure that they realize that it is the best thing to happen to the course in many years.  It is a shame that more courses aren't doing the same thing and bringing back these gems to their pre 1960s glory days before tree planting, etc.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »
I had many conversations with Mr. Policano about agronomics and architecture and how it pertains to him being a Greens Chair, with our last conversation this spring on the back patio here at Pine Tree, overlooking the first tee.
  Mr. Policano "Gets it." First off, Ridgewood has a GREAT superintendent in Todd Raisch and Mr. Policano always said his desire was to protect Todd, give him the tools he needed to make Ridgewood as good as can be. Secondly, Mr. Policano never seemed to be afraid to "take a bullet" for something that may not have been a popular change initially, but was a feature that was originally in AWT's plan and of courses, ended up being a great change. He mentioned to me stories about expanding several fairways, tree removal and such. Mr. Policano isn't the Greens Chairman for the recognition and never seemed to have his own agenda.
  I hope that he has the opportunity to continue to be the GC at Ridgewood and continue to elevate one of AWT's best courses. He's the type of Greens Chair that are a delight to work with because they have the best interest of the course at heart.
  Thankfully, I have 2 Greeens Chairs that really had the desire to put Pine Tree back this summer. Again, another example of Green Chairs protecting the original intent of the course, membership and architect. Well Done!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike Policano

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
Pat,

Thanks for the kind comments. I was just a part of the process. We have a wonderful Tillinghast 27 hole course that wasn't tinkered with materially in the past except for the usual tree plantings and mowing induced changes.  We have great pictures of the course from the opening in 1929 and from the 1935 Ryder Cup held at Ridgewood.

Gil Hanse has been our architect since the mid 1990's when he started on his own. He gave us an updated Master Plan in 2011. The club president and the board of directors were unanimously behind the implementation of the MP.  The Green Committee gave great input on the prioritizing the work to be done. And our superintendent is an excellent professional who plans and carries out the work whether it is in house or with the help of outside contractors.

The members have been very supportive in the main. There are of course some who are not entirely in favor of the work.  But they can't deny that the course looks better and it plays better with the expanded fairways, recaptured greens, sanded approaches, the new bunker work and the wind that has reappeared.

Jerry, it wasn't my plan. It is Gil's master plan based on Tillinghast's design. In fact at the kickoff meeting, I asked Gil for his unfettered thoughts. I said that I wanted him to only have input from one person and that was our superintendent. I was just part of a small team that reviewed the plan before it was finalized.

Every single thing we did is in the plan. Every tree that came out was either in the plan or taken out by Sandy. And as always, trees were controversial. Finally, I generally told the membership everything we were doing and why in letters and in bi-weekly emails that our super sends out.

Mike Policano

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 05:53:04 AM »
Tony,

Thanks for the comments. The pictures at Pine Tree look great. I can't wait to get down there.   Now if I could only play this game like Jerry, that would be great.

Cheers, Mike

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 06:10:23 AM »
Mike,

I'm interested, and impressed, to see how regularly you and your Super wrote to members. I don't think the value of that can be overstated.

Communication is crucial during a period of change - in a business, relationship or at a golf club - and it surprises me that many clubs think that a message to members every month or two is sufficient during a time of significant on-course change.

Not only does a regular update encourage enthusiasm and make the members feel included, it cuts off the rumour mill before it can get started.

Congratulations to all at Ridgewood on the success.

Mike Policano

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »
Scott,

Good to hear from you. We started a communication program three years ago. Our super sends a weekly email telling everyone what is going on with the course and what will be done the next week. It generally goes out every week in the heat of the summer and every other week unless more is needed the rest of the season.

We monitor the unique hits every issue and remarkably it gets viewed by the majority of the membership every time. PM me and I will send you an example.

Cheers, Mike

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:11:42 AM »
Mike,

Congratulations on all of your hard work paying off. Your fellow members are lucky to have a Green Chairman who really gets it.
H.P.S.

Steven Blake

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
Greens chairs can make a significant difference and change the trajectory of the club ... both good and bad. 

Congrats Mike and Ridgewood. Change can be hard for some but it seems you are now reaping the benefits of your hard-work!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 08:18:04 AM »
I couldn't think of anyone better suited to that job.

I just need to see if hickory play has been given any consideration.

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
I echo the thoughts regarding the work that has been done under the leadership of Mike and Todd.  Ridgewood used to feel like playing golf in a pinball machine.  There is now room to work the ball and the majority of the strategic interest has been restored.  Its a really special course that deserves great caretakers.  

Chris Johnston

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
Mike,

Well Played!

CJ

Lou_Duran

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Every single thing we did is in the plan. Every tree that came out was either in the plan or taken out by Sandy. And as always, trees were controversial. Finally, I generally told the membership everything we were doing and why in letters and in bi-weekly emails that our super sends out.

Mr. Policano is most humble.  Getting Gil Hanse to plan the work was genius.  Ditto for aligning the people and the resources to work the plan.  But systematically communicating with the membership may be as important.  It shows respect and includes everyone in the continuous process of improvement.  Though it is impossible to please everyone, transparency probably minimizes trafficking in bad information and rumormongering.  At my club where no one seems to know what is going on, any given day one can hear of $1 Million operating deficits and that the owner is making so much money she is putting in a humongous infinity pool and doubling the size of the dining room.

Using the same principles applied at Ridgewood, might Mr. Policano be willing to act as Chair of the federal government?  We have excellent, extensive aerials.  We just need someone to plan the work, work the plan, and honestly, regularly report to the members.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »
Sounds like some great stuff happening at Ridgewood.  It's one of my favorites, but confess I haven't played it in about 2 years.  Can I ask about the playability of the "new" Ridgewood.  Mr. Policano talks about the new found "wind" on the property and Mr. Mucci discusses slope and runoffs on green perimeters that have been recaptured.  Both of those to me sound like improvements that require a higher "shot value".  How has the membership responded in terms of comments on difficulty, playability?  Is there a universal opinion?  Does it differ by Handicap level?  Thanks in advance

Mike

Andrew Buck

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 09:53:13 AM »
Scott,

Good to hear from you. We started a communication program three years ago. Our super sends a weekly email telling everyone what is going on with the course and what will be done the next week. It generally goes out every week in the heat of the summer and every other week unless more is needed the rest of the season.

We monitor the unique hits every issue and remarkably it gets viewed by the majority of the membership every time. PM me and I will send you an example.

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

Congrats on seeing the fruits of your efforts.  Can you share how you handled the contentious tree situations?  Currently, we have been able to remove several trees that interfered with greens, however there are many more that, IMO, should come down for benefit of turf, maintenance budget and aesthetics.  Obviously, it is the entire membership's course, so you run the risk of having the membership simply say no (or get a new greens committee) if you threaten their trees.  Currently, we are moving slowly by discussing with members while we can.  Of course, some people really like the tree removal around greens that has already happened, and some people don't like it.  

I'd just love hearing any advice on that subject.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:16:36 PM by Andrew Buck »

Mike Policano

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »
Andrew,

I will write something up on the topic in the near future. In the meantime, Brad Klein does a great presentation on trees on golf courses. Some of which,  he speaks about in his new book. I also retained Brad to give a second opinion on the Master Plan update six months before we received the update so that I would have additional ammo for the naysayers to consider. He also made a presentation for about 30 members to which they still refer.

Cheers, Mike

JMEvensky

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
Andrew,

I will write something up on the topic in the near future. In the meantime, Brad Klein does a great presentation on trees on golf courses. Some of which,  he speaks about in his new book. I also retained Brad to give a second opinion on the Master Plan update six months before we received the update so that I would have additional ammo for the naysayers to consider. He also made a presentation for about 30 members to which they still refer.

Cheers, Mike

Before BK's presentation,were the 30 members naysayers or already on the bandwagon? Just curious.

Mike Policano

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »
I was a brand new director and Green Chair. It was my second month. I just invited a cross section of members. I have no idea where they stood on trees. I do know they were significantly more informed after Brad's talk.

He first spent 10 hours on the course going thru each of the 27 holes. He had great insights and observations which he wove into his presentation. It was a priceless exercise that I pull out of my back pocket whenever I need to.

I also a developed a 7 point criteria to evaluate every thing we do and to evaluate every tree. I have shared this before on this site. The seven criteria are

Agronomy, maintenance, golf architecture, playability, aesthetics, cost and safety.

Any time a member asks why a certain tree was taken down. I go through the seven criteria for that tree and then I add that the process includes running it by Gil unless it is in the Master Plan ( over 100 Sandy damaged trees were not in the MP to come down) and/or we spoke to our tree company. I don't expect anyone to change their view. I just want them to know there is a very thoughtful process and criteria used to decide each tree.

Going forward, all new trees have to be approved by Gil as to placement and general type. We consult with our tree company as to the specific type of tree to be planted. No sense planting trees that some future board has to take down because they are the wrong type or in the wrong place.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:10:48 PM by Mike Policano »

Frank Pont

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Mike,

if only we could clone you for every inland club in GBI and Europe......

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 02:33:06 PM »
Mike,
if only we could clone you for every inland club in GB......
Seconded.
All the best.

Mike Policano

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
Frank and Thomas,

Thanks for the votes. However my wife would advise you that one of me is probably almost one too many.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »
Frank and Thomas,

Thanks for the votes. However my wife would advise you that one of me is probably almost one too many.

I would be the voice of quite a few more who'd agree with his spouse!  8)

BTW......I should think that Pat's suggestion that Mike serve as RCC's Greens Chair for life would cause Mike to change his position and support the death penalty!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
Andrew,

Mike,

Following up on the above, I had Brad Klein speak to the members at Mountain Ridge and his presentation was spectacular, worth it's weight in golf.

It allowed many members to visualize the value of tree removal and the value of the club's assets, on and off the golf course.

Cheers, Mike

SL_Solow

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
To think I knew Mike P. before he was famous and discussed his taking on the job.  Kudos to one of my favorites.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back