News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Monumentally OT: Philly Cheesesteaks
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »
Mr. Bausch and Sven are bang on with their calls! Sad but true...in the main, the best Philly cheese steaks are made OUTSIDE the city. Pat's and Geno's are tourista rip-offs. I'm shocked at some of the postive local plugs...lads, you MUST have better taste, no? To each their own, I guess.

If you have to go to those two two as a visitor, be ready to buy about three to feel you got a meal. They're scrawny, greasy and come on... crap cheese squeezed out of a bottle...how "JV" can you get? They make a fortune serving slop. Grew up there and I never even went near those two 'til I was in my thirties and only went once, at the urging of a fellow Philly boy from the Northeast. I ripped him all the way there because I knew what was coming...the weakest excuse for a cheesesteak I ever ate!

The "cheesesteak-hoagie"  at the right places is where you get some serious efforts and a well-made one is devine. On the next Philly "executive course" foray we need to have a cheese-steak tour "throwdown' to helps educate some folks and let the GCA taste buds vote the winner. I'll happily put it together with a little help from the Phellow Philly Golfalcoholics!

Cheersteaks!!!!!! ;D ;D
Kris 8)

Kris-When you combine golf and food together what could be better. Set it up and count me in.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
If you're out on the Western Main Line, try Jack's Pizza on US30 in Frazer.    Really good pizza but even better steaks.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Johns-Pizza/115293751868390

Nearest golf course:  Chester Valley

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
Mama's in Bala Cynwyd is the best.  Best bread, freshest ingredients, and about twice the size of the crap you get at the other places mentioned here.  D'Allessandro's is also pretty good, but Mama's is in a class by itself.

I guarantee that I am the only one here that has done Mama's after a round at Walnut Lane.  :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:29:37 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »
(in case you're interested in Walnut Lane:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/walnut-lane/)

Carr Harris

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »
Thanks for the course ideas Dan. I have my itenerary all set for this Trip, Gulph Mills GC (Calling Tom Paul!), and then my first sojourn to Merion. Your recomendations are much appreciated though, for I will be back. There's just too many awesome courses in the area not to. I have had the luck to play four pretty good ones in the last two years. That would strip mine most golfing markets. In Philly, it just starts to make a dent.

As for the titular Cheesesteaks, everyone's input has been great. I thought that Pat's was the place for me until I read Kris Shreiner's stern rebuke. Now I'm not sure what to think. I guess that I'll make a gametime decision based upon all the variables of my trip. All this talk of beef and melted cheese has made my arteries feel extra cloggy already :).

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 10:47:50 PM »
Kris & Mike,

No doubt Mama's makes a great product but it can't compete with Pat's,Geno's, Tony Luke's or even John's in the ambience, tradition and history categories that we raters factor on our scorecard. There's nothing like having a Pat's cheesesteak around midnight or later, outside,under the bright lights, leaning on a ledge with your arms in the proper position, indulging in Philly's finest.

One strategy I use at Pat's is to order mine with double meat. Ooops, the secret is out now.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 11:38:12 PM »
Mama's in Bala Cynwyd is the best.  Best bread, freshest ingredients, and about twice the size of the crap you get at the other places mentioned here.  D'Allessandro's is also pretty good, but Mama's is in a class by itself.

I guarantee that I am the only one here that has done Mama's after a round at Walnut Lane.  :D

You'd be wrong.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »
Tim,

You're in pal! I keep a spot locked up for the GCA...GREAT CHEESESTEAK ADVENTURE Throwdown... with a suburban/city gastromic tussle to the finish! Lunch clash after morning round...dinner duels after the p.m round. Evaluations, voting and stomach pump testing on into the evening!!!!

Steve,
I love ya man, but come on...your tapping ambiance to prop up the product offered by Pat's/Geno's ...with that location!!!!????

Here we go!

How about...Cobbs early round followed by, in succession... my nominee Larry's "Home of the Bellyfillers!," on 54th and City Line(Let's GO ST. JOE!), followed by Mamas and then on to Garrett Hill for the SUBURBAN-STEAK Challenge Line-up.

Adjourning then for a quick 25 minute scamper East on 276,via 476, we hit then an arranged, hosted afternoon round at the "Executive Gem" that is  LU LU Temple(hu..raahhh).

At each stop, we can order some steaks, cut them into fours and have at it! The Committee will arrange a criteria sheet for the "RATERS" (HA-HA-HA) to judge. Two categories, the standard, naked cheesesteak and "Doctored" division seems to make sense

Following a post round libation at LU LU(the 19th hole also lurks 8) :o).... on to the Geno's/Pats Howler first, followed by another two selections that I'll leave to the inner city denizens to determine.

Final tabulations, analysis, voting and winning results could continue at Roache & Obrioune back on the Main Line. While some pre-event training may be in order for the non-professionals, a merry day in every way would be assured.

That sounds like a Philly "Golfstromic Humdinger" of a day to me. I'm opening up full input from others...The Committee will then finalize the proceedings and set a date. Be there, or be medium rare!

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »
Kris,

The best cheesesteaks are from outside the city?

The best one I ever had - in all seriousness - was in Luxor, Egypt! ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 07:11:15 AM »
Tim,

You're in pal! I keep a spot locked up for the GCA...GREAT CHEESESTEAK ADVENTURE Throwdown... with a suburban/city gastromic tussle to the finish! Lunch clash after morning round...dinner duels after the p.m round. Evaluations, voting and stomach pump testing on into the evening!!!!

Steve,
I love ya man, but come on...your tapping ambiance to prop up the product offered by Pat's/Geno's ...with that location!!!!????

Here we go!

How about...Cobbs early round followed by, in succession... my nominee Larry's "Home of the Bellyfillers!," on 54th and City Line(Let's GO ST. JOE!), followed by Mamas and then on to Garrett Hill for the SUBURBAN-STEAK Challenge Line-up.

Adjourning then for a quick 25 minute scamper East on 276,via 476, we hit then an arranged, hosted afternoon round at the "Executive Gem" that is  LU LU Temple(hu..raahhh).

At each stop, we can order some steaks, cut them into fours and have at it! The Committee will arrange a criteria sheet for the "RATERS" (HA-HA-HA) to judge. Two categories, the standard, naked cheesesteak and "Doctored" division seems to make sense

Following a post round libation at LU LU(the 19th hole also lurks 8) :o).... on to the Geno's/Pats Howler first, followed by another two selections that I'll leave to the inner city denizens to determine.

Final tabulations, analysis, voting and winning results could continue at Roache & Obrioune back on the Main Line. While some pre-event training may be in order for the non-professionals, a merry day in every way would be assured.

That sounds like a Philly "Golfstromic Humdinger" of a day to me. I'm opening up full input from others...The Committee will then finalize the proceedings and set a date. Be there, or be medium rare!

Cheers,
Kris

Kris-Your a genius man.It should probably be a BYOD event-bring your own defibrillator. ;D

Dan Boerger

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »
Timely topic, since we did a couple days downtown for history and fun this past weekend. Did the Pat's/Geno's showdown and Geno's won handily with the kids. As Jason points out, more of an experience than anything else.

Many say Tony Lukes for Cheesteaks and Roast Pork. Have done both and never been disappointed.

But give me a Chink's Cheesteak any day. First time I had it it was a near out-of-body experience, along with the milk shake. http://chinksteaks.com/about-us.html
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
Go to Jim's, order 2 cause one won't fill you up.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
Dan,

I've never been, so Chinks... into the possible line-up! I love it ... with the milkshake sidecar...priceless.

A public, Wilson & friends?  Cobbs offering, followed by the entertaining, executive Ross cracker that is Lu Lu Temple, with a foodie bonanza tossed in throughout the day... A late Sempember early October date sound like the appropriate window?

Chime in and we'll get it dialed up! The Committee may even create a commemorative cap, bagtag, or other dittie for the GCA Blingwearers that attend!

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Chink's, Pudge's, D'Allesandro's, Tony Lukes...some great suggestions. All of them >>> Pat's or Geno's, IMHO.

Personally, I'd find my way to Ted's Place in Conshy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back