News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Wow, I was really impressed by the changes
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
to Somerset Hills.

As I drove up Claremont Rd, as I looked left I saw parts of the golf course that I had never seen before.

It was obvious, before I reached the clubhouse, that a significant tree management program had been successfully undertaken.

As I played the golf course, it only got better.

The fairways seemed to have been widened and the greens expanded.

And, the wind/breeze seemed to be more of a factor.

Areas a little removed, but not totally removed from play have been allowed to grow unchecked, creating a textured look.
In some areas, this long grass might present too severe a penalty, but, overall, the changes to the golf course are quite impressive.

The vistas of the holes and internal features was terrific.

The course was also in very good playing condition, even on a 90+ degree day.

Some of the fairways appeared to be 50-60 yards wide.

The putting surfaces have some marvelous contours.

In the past, the trees were encroaching and intruding into the playing corridors, today, the openess is quite stunning.

Ryan, the young Superintendent and Adam the Head Professional are enthusiastic about the changes to date and the potential for additional changes.

Somerset Hills is fun to play.

If I had one comment, or thing I would do, I'd reverse the nines.

The finish, with 7,8 and 9 is incredibly strong.
The current finish, 16, 17 and 18 is very benign.

What a joy and pleasure to play, can't wait to do it again.

Tom_Doak

Re: Wow, I was really impressed by the changes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
Pat:

I will pass on your comments to Brian Slawnik, who's been doing the consulting work there.  It's a wonderful place.

The club actually did reverse the nines for a few years, about ten years ago, but eventually reverted back.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:21:06 PM »
Tom,

Yes, please convey my congratulations and appreciation for the work done to date.
I have no doubt that the ongoing improvements will produce an even better product.

I had played Somerset Hills a great number of times over the last 50 years, but my recent play was the most enjoyable play to date.
The changes have dramatically improved the playing experience.
Too often people claim the only reason SHCC is so highly ranked is due to it's connection to the USGA, but clearly, the golf course is what's responsible for the lofty rating.

I was thinking about SHCC in comparison to Baltusrol, Upper and Lower, Ridgewood, Fenway, Quaker Ridge, Shackamaxon, Winged Foot East and West, and the advantage that SHCC has over all of them are those incredibly WIDE fairways.
Some seemed 50-60 yards wide.  This enables players of differing abilities to play the course as their game permits.

One of the other really neat features of SHCC is the natural rolling fairways with the contours and mounds throughout.

The expanded putting surfaces present plenty of challenge with a terrific combination of slope and contour.

We played the back tees and the course was very manageable

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
Pat, I wholeheartedly agree.  SHCC is REALLY good.  Tremendous width, lots of interesting features, some very cool greens, great presentation.  I loved everything about it.  I actually don't have a problem with 16-18, although I agree that flipping the nines would make for a truly outstanding finish.

Tom, I was there last summer.  Has any further work been done since then?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:34:34 AM »
Pat, I wholeheartedly agree.  SHCC is REALLY good.  Tremendous width, lots of interesting features, some very cool greens, great presentation.  I loved everything about it.  I actually don't have a problem with 16-18, although I agree that flipping the nines would make for a truly outstanding finish.

Tom, I was there last summer.  Has any further work been done since then?

Ed:

They are doing most of the work (so far) in-house; most of it to date has just been about the mowing lines, we haven't done much work at all on the bunkering.  I'm sure they did some work last fall, but don't know exactly which parts of what Pat saw.  I haven't been back since two summers ago, just after the U.S. Open.  My only real contribution was telling them they should stop worrying about the course being dismissed as easy, and whack back some of the unmaintained rough, which was brutal after a wet spring.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back