News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Travis Dewire

What do we need in our private club proshops?
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
I play at a club with roughly 700 members. Mind you, these are ALL members, not just the golfers (which is mostly male)

The club does a demo day around the middle of may - and there are lots of opportunities to try clubs, that the club would never ever have. Adams, Mizuno, and a few more. Our Director of Golf is a Titleist guy, so there are usually Titliest, Cobra, and Callaway clubs (irons/fw woods/drivers). There are wedges from a few different manufacturers, and the putters are generally oddyssey, a couple scotty's, and a few more here and there.

When it comes to running our pro-shop, other than putters, wedges, balls, and apparel, what do we need? Lets say we buy 5 new titleist drivers to start the season. Maybe 3 of those sell. Now throw in some Ping drivers, Cobra's and one or two Callaways. Now we have way too many drivers than we will be able to sell. Lets not even go into the iron sets. Fw wood's are a little easier sell, but when it comes down to it, not many members are reuping their fwwood's each year.

I know many members at the club, and I used to caddy a ton there through h.s and college, so I see what everyone is playing. Same clubs as last year. Is the proshop as a "golf shop" an out of date model for the private club, not operating at an institutional level? I am a strong supporter of supporting the club, but we can't realistically be asked to buy things we really don't need. Stock up balls, stock up logo clothes, have plenty of gloves, tees etc, have a few putters, have a few wedges, but leave the real equpiment out. After a year, when the club is out of date, will anyone be buying it?

What happens to a club like Worcester CC, with 300-400 members, many of which are over the age of 50. The likely hood of that group even buying new equipment is small, so now you have to stock a shop for 150 people? Out of 150 people, who all are avid players, and whom most likely have bough new equipment in the last 8 years, how many are picking up Callaway's new driver? and then how many on Ping, Cobra, etc.

Too much equipment, not enough people.

Thoughts?

Mark McKeever

Re: What do we need in our private club proshops?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »
My club is mostly logo'd swag with a few putters/wedges and demo clubs.  I like that it's not stacked with clubs though.  If someone wants something, it can be ordered quickly.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »
My club is mostly logo'd swag with a few putters/wedges and demo clubs.  I like that it's not stacked with clubs though.  If someone wants something, it can be ordered quickly.

Mark

I would agree with this idea.  Keep the shop heavily stocked with quality logoed apparel and other merchandise and leave the clubs for order.  The turn around time is certainly quick enough to make this viable.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »
Travis,

It's the guys over 50 who are searching for the "Holy Grail" that are buying all the equipment.

As an aside, how would you attract a highly competent professional to Market, Teach and Administer if you eliminated equipment sales as a form of revenue ?

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »
Loft and lie machines. Lead tape, a wide assortment of grips and plain hats with a logo and nothing else on them.

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »

Loft and lie machines. Lead tape, a wide assortment of grips and plain hats with a logo and nothing else on them.

Won't you also need a time machine?

The only thing a club has to sell that their members won't buy at a big box is the logo.Concentrate on the soft goods--the bigger the supply of logo'd merchandise,the better.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:46:39 PM by JMEvensky »

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:47 PM »
All you really need are balls, gloves, tees, and a few hats and shirts...which could fit in a closet.
H.P.S.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
All you really need are balls, gloves, tees, and a few hats and shirts...which could fit in a closet.
Sounds like the proshop at Morfontaine. Which, as I recall, was a closet.

It contained two sleeves of Top-Flites, a couple of Lacoste shirts (size small) with the club logo on the sleeve, and a ball mark repair tool which I received as a memento of my visit.

Next!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 02:52:27 PM »
As an aside, the Mill River plan is awesome for members at my club. Alittle up front money and you buy apparel, gear, and clubs for a song. Very nice to buy a logoed Peter Millar or Polo golf shirt for $50 -60 .
                                                                                                   Jack

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
I am hardly the expert but I'm told the key to a successful proshop is stocking the stuff that sells and not buying the stuff that does not sell.  You know your proshop is well-managed if it has little inventory that it needs to discount at the end of the year.  

Our shop's financials improved dramatically through tighter control of inventory and through making specialized preferences of members available through order rather than having the stuff on-hand.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:36:35 PM by Jason Topp »

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »
Travis,

Unless you're running a specialty shop, seems like a lot of guys are going to get fitted for equipment by guys who do only that for a living and carry hundreds of combos of clubheads and shafts.  That combined with fewer guys willing and able to drop $400 on a whim on the latest tech makes for a nasty cocktail for the average pro shop IMO.  Stick to what you have an edge in, quality logoed apparel.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
Travis,

Unless you're running a specialty shop, seems like a lot of guys are going to get fitted for equipment by guys who do only that for a living and carry hundreds of combos of clubheads and shafts.  That combined with fewer guys willing and able to drop $400 on a whim on the latest tech makes for a nasty cocktail for the average pro shop IMO.  Stick to what you have an edge in, quality logoed apparel.

Exactly what are the core users...
Business for leisure?
Business for entertaining?
Men's club for escape/golf?
Family club for multi purpose?
Family for golf only

Must haves
Logoed aapparel
Goves
Balls
Putters
Wedges
Drivers (hottest item... R11)
Fitting system
Logoed Bags

Will MacEwen

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 03:36:18 PM »
My club does well with Ping - everything is custom order, wide product line, and the big stores can't discount.  A fitting cart and some demos are all it takes.

We are a good 2 hours from a big box though so may have more of a captive market.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
Shivas: That's what the internet will do.

WW

Richard Choi

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
I think for a specialty shop like this, it would be enough just to provide custom fitting, where you are providing the value-add and not have any equipment in stock.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
As an aside, how would you attract a highly competent professional to Market, Teach and Administer if you eliminated equipment sales as a form of revenue ?

By paying them what they are worth - without having to fold shirts.
(I think they are worth a lot to each and every member)

I brought someone to Wolf Point this year.
He asked if it was stocked.
I said, of course, there are 2 taps - coors light and blue moon.
He said, "no with shirts, pants, naked lady tees..."

I wanted to say WTF do you need that for.
We're going to play some golf.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:19 PM »
Custom driver fitting is not something which most pro shops can do.  You need a wide selection of drivers and shafts in order to really fit a player and a pro shop is not capable of doing that.  I went to Golf Galaxy and tried a bunch of drivers using their launch monitor - it was a small fee - I believe $30 - and then I went to my pro and ordered the club.  I know the fitting was the best out there but it turned out to be correct as I went to the Ping factory range and they told me there was nothing that would really get me more distance, etc.  Personally, I like to buy logo shirts, hats, etc., when I visit a course so I rarely buy clothing at my club.

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
I guess the other issue is that eventually you end up selling merch mostly to guests looking for a souvenir.  After a few years every member already has a dozen shirts and hats, 2 rain pullovers, a couple sweaters, towels, winter hats, a fleece pullover, umbrellas, glassware, a wallet and logoed jockey shorts...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:33:48 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
I guess the other issue is that eventually you end up selling merch mostly to guests looking for a souvenir.  After a few years every member already has a dozen shirts and hats, 2 rain pullovers, a couple sweaters, towels, winter hats, a fleece pullover, umbrellas, glassware, a wallet and logoed jockey shorts...

Come on Jud... you know you get a shirt with each visit to Kingsley... just can't help yourself.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
I told the guys in our pro shop they just needed to start stocking Kingsley Club and Royal Cinque Ports logo'd shirts. They won't do it so apparently they don't want mine and Jud's purchases to help their bottom line...

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
Rory,

I recently went to have my loft and lies checked at a pro shop that actually knew what they were doing and was SHOCKED at how off several of my clubs were.  The loft of four irons were off, with my three iron off almost a full three degrees! No wonder I was coming up short and I was lamenting adavncing age and loss of power. I'm no stick, but this area is one most players TOTALLY ignore, along with the petrified grip syndrome one sees regularly, especially among the skinflint gang. Fresh grips, when needed, do make a difference and having equipment that at least has a chance to deliver for you is a plus as well.

Most assistants today, and half of the older pros, barely see the workbench... it's an area that could have good returns for the shop. There are some very solid shops that really know their business, actively educate their golfers and do a lot of club repair /tuning, something most big boxes don't provide or generally excel at.

Other posters have weighed in with some sound points on stocking heavily in essentials and smartly logo'd goods. In short, it's getting tougher and tougher for the shop pros to earn a living unless you're from an upper tier facility. Resourceful, passionate folks will survive, the others face a bleak future. Stay sharp and engage your golfers regularly is the order of the day or the door won't be far away.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »

I think this is the old compensation model, which some clubs are moving away from, where the professional is an independent contractor who makes a substantial percentage of his/her overall compensation on carts, pro shop sales, and lessons.  Our long-time (and beloved) pro recently retired, and when he did, the club decided to make the new pro (and everyone else) a club employee and to bring everything in the pro shop directly into the club's budget.  I'm sure the new pro's ultimate compensation still turns on sales, etc., but in a way that's a lot more similar to other club employees.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:13:35 PM by Carl Nichols »

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »

Come on Jud... you know you get a shirt with each visit to Kingsley... just can't help yourself.

Only bought a sweatshirt this weekend, but at least I didn't have one already...The classic was when I thought I lost my fleece so I replaced it only to find the original still stowed in the folding compartment of a suitcase on my next trip....now if they only had sweaters that weren't V-neck....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:01:06 PM by Jud Tigerman »

JMEvensky

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

I went to Golf Galaxy and tried a bunch of drivers using their launch monitor - it was a small fee - I believe $30 - and then I went to my pro and ordered the club. 

You just made every club pro's day.Sadly,it's the converse which now usually happens.

Richard Choi

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
What most people don't realize is that there is very little performance difference between driver heads. Most of them are similarly sized and have similar MOI numbers. What you will notice more is the shaft. The flex and kick points really affect your trajectories.

If you can stock 2 or 3 (interchangeable) driver heads and have about dozen shaft options, you can really fit the driver to the customer.

That would be much more useful for most people than stocking dozens or more driver models.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back