News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Hawaii: Where to play
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:31 AM »
Hypothetically, given a day for golf on the big island, is Mauna Kea the clear choice (assuming the prospects are slim at Nanea)?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jeff Evagues

Re: Hawaii: Where to play
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:19 AM »
Unless you're staying at Hualalai, Mauna Kea would be first followed by Mauna Lani.
Be the ball

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:40 AM »
I thought Kukio was pretty cool, but it's also private. 

I would guess, however, that Kukio is a bit easier to wangle than Nanea for those with well-polished begging skills!

Mauna Kea would indeed seem to be the best accessible option.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brad LeClair

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
Not sure what your timing is but Mauna Kea was just aerated very recently. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »
I didn't play when I visited but Makelei was the course that intrigued me the most - particularly including price in the equation.

http://www.makalei.com/golf/proto/makalei/index.htm

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:03 AM »
Not sure what your timing is but Mauna Kea was just aerated very recently. 

Probably not until August, hypothetically. ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Unless you're staying at Hualalai, Mauna Kea would be first followed by Mauna Lani.

I'm almost assuredly not staying at Hualalai. Is the resort doing well enough to adhere strictly to its "no outside guests" policy?

Richard Choi

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »
Very timely question. I will be in the Big Island in 3 weeks. Will Mauna Kea be playable by then (aka worth the big bucks?)

Stan Dodd

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »
Hilo Muni, $12 a round and a cool local scene.

Brad LeClair

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »
Very timely question. I will be in the Big Island in 3 weeks. Will Mauna Kea be playable by then (aka worth the big bucks?)

Probably.  I'd speak to the head pro. 

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

Probably.  I'd speak to the head pro. 

I would think 3 weeks of grow in there would be plenty....

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
played Makela (sp) a few years ago and it was memorable.Seems like you are a thousand feet at least above the Kona airport and the weather is much cooler.A good break in a trip.I also thought Hapuna was pretty good so if you wanted an emergency 18 after Mauna Kea that would be the easy option since they are on the same property.Hualai is very neat and the hotel was closed from the tidal wave until recently so you never know.The real key is to drive out at night and look at the stars.Your score will become irrelevant quickly.

astavrides

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
The real key is to drive out at night and look at the stars.Your score will become irrelevant quickly.

there's always somebody who shot a better score than you, and somebody who shot worse, especially when you take into account golfers from all the other solar systems and galaxies.

I concur the choice of Mauna Kea by the way.

William_G

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
FWIW, I think Mauna Kea is a one hole course, the par-3 #4. Love the classic hotel and great beach... but for fun, drive south to Volcano National Park, for golf at Volcano Golf and Country Club. It is no country club and there probably will be no else playing, but it would be cheap and different, LOL.

http://www.volcanogolfshop.com/HomeSite/TheGolfCourse.htm

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:12:01 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
It is number 3 actually.I would say it is much more than a one hole course.It feels very RTJ though,with a number of uphill approaches.It is a must play just because of it's place at the front of the resort boom.

Richard Choi

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
I drove to the Volcano National Park last year when I was there. After the 2 hour drive, my parents who were vacationing with us, said "this is it? this is what we drove all that way for?" :)

Big depression (not even a pointy peak) with some smoke coming out was about it. Pretty big letdown... :)

William_G

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 10:01:28 PM »
Thanks Mike, you are correct, it's been awhile. Yes RTJ, nothing inherently wrong with that IMHO, but, hillside course, bermuda wall to wall, you know....it is an original Rock Resort, great logo too!
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
I drove to the Volcano National Park last year when I was there. After the 2 hour drive, my parents who were vacationing with us, said "this is it? this is what we drove all that way for?" :)

Big depression (not even a pointy peak) with some smoke coming out was about it. Pretty big letdown... :)

Tough crowd huh?? All the Hawaiian Islands are volcanoes in and of themselves....lol

To see the lava you need to do a big hike or take a night cruise.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:26:09 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

astavrides

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 10:53:53 PM »
golf at Volcano Golf and Country Club. It is no country club and there probably will be no else playing, but it would be cheap and different, LOL.

not a bad course, but nothing particularly interesting about it besides its name.

William_G

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
golf at Volcano Golf and Country Club. It is no country club and there probably will be no else playing, but it would be cheap and different, LOL.

not a bad course, but nothing particularly interesting about it besides its name.

+1

That can be said about most resort courses, where you are just spending money and driving a cart because you can.

If not Nanea, Kukio or Hualalai (either course), then  ::)

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
Hypothetically, given a day for golf on the big island, is Mauna Kea the clear choice (assuming the prospects are slim at Nanea)?

Hypothetically, never travel for Trent.

Nanea looks quite good. The club history is bound in wood.

I bet if you hang out near the entrance with a sign that reads "honk if you love DMK's humps", with your rater badge clearly exposed, that would work.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Joe Grasty

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
A timely thread, to be sure, as I'll be on the big island in late July.  Makalei looks like fun.

William_G

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
I didn't play when I visited but Makelei was the course that intrigued me the most - particularly including price in the equation.

http://www.makalei.com/golf/proto/makalei/index.htm

looks good
It's all about the golf!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Just open a very large account at Charles Schwab and you'll gain access to Nanea.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »

Hypothetically, never travel for Trent.

I bet if you hang out near the entrance with a sign that reads "honk if you love DMK's humps", with your rater badge clearly exposed, that would work.

Why am I not surprised by your opinions? I assure Trent is not the reason for travel.

"I prefer to call them DMK's lady lumps," though that admission may put my rater badge at risk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:27:17 PM by Kyle Henderson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back