News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Why Don't They Build Some Easy Courses?
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
Mark

Ever the Policeman. Or is that just you opinion you are trying to force upon me.

Yet there is no dig – my case is that more ride in the States when playing golf than in this country. That is I believe somehow down to human preference or perhaps actual human nature.

I must say Mark I am surprised by you, of all people I would have thought you would have looked at all the facts before coming up with that load of bollocks.

For the record (again). Time after time I keep saying I have no problem with Americans, I have American relatives, but I do object to the name golf being used to describe all manner of the offshoots of the game. All I have ever sought is to call the game one plays by the right name. Golf by its long history is a walking and thinking game, any other variation is just that a variation and so should be identified as such – Is that being ant-American, is that being ignorant. Ignorance is born of the mind and my friend I feel your intentions to me are not honourable otherwise you would have checked your fact.

I cannot stop that which I am not guilty of.

Regrettable not your humble servant, well certainly not in this case.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:28:02 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »
Melvyn,

Time after time you claim to have no problem with Americans.  Time after time your posts betray the truth.  I wouldn't have posted except that, as a Brit with many American friends, your frequent digs at the US and its people embarrass me.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

Mark

Oh dear we can’t have that now can we – But its seems no matter what I say you don’t believe me

So it looks like in your mind, I will continue to embarrass you.

Melvyn

Ken Moum

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
Ken,

I will pass that on.  I have had five tees converted to four by many course operators, who say golfers "prefer it that way" and that five tees is "too confusing."  BTW, the course isn't officially measured, and the yardages just came off the rendering.  I know we added some forward tees, like the one on ten to avoid the water carry, so they are probably a little less than the card shows all around.

FWIW, I just realized that I misstated in my original post, the hole my wife didn't like was #8. It's right by the cliubhouse and I confused myself.

I probably enjoyed playing partly because the tees were up, maybe they were taking "Tee it Forward" literally.  LOL

K

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Doug Wright

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »
I would like to see someone like Doak take a shot at building a very very good course with no traditional bunkers and no water hazards yet still defend par with native grasses that can be played from and green complexes that are the real character of the course.

I believe it could be done and would be received well by all if pulled off. Greenside bunkering in particular is almost helpful to the good player and disproportinately penal to the regular player... just a bunch of raised/undulating greens with a wild closely mown areas as surrounds... kinda like what we have just done with our 5th hole at Cabo del Sol.

Greg, I think this course has already been built by Doak & Co. It's called CommonGround in Denver, CO. Yes it does have some bunkering that could be called penal for the average golfer and some water but there is plenty of room for the average golfer to avoid the trouble and a lot of interest provided by the green complexes and surrounds. I played it last week off the Gold tees (Slope 122) and it was immensely playable yet challenging and fun. The course routinely gets positive reviews from all levels of players.  FYI here are the slope and ratings for CG:

Black Tees          73.0           129
Gold Tees           70.3           122
White Tees         68.7           115
Red Tees            65.1           108

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back