News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Norbert P

Re: Herb Kohler eyes property on Oregon coast
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
 Keiser would be most folks' first choice for a visionary benefactor but,  Herbie, welcome to Oregon. 

If it's going to be cartball.  So be it.  We'll get over it if the golf is great. And please !!! NO volcano bunkers. If any place deserves naturalism, this location is it. Even though it will require some heavy engineering, it needs no Trumping up.  That would only add a cancer to the honesty of the unique natural experience.   
Dye, IMNSHO, needs a strong editor, but I'm sure he doesn't think so. If French Lick comes to Pistol River, it will be a huge travesty.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mark Johnson

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »

2. The golf there is very difficult and demanding.  The experience of walking the courses is beyond measure, but a lot of 16 handicappers will get tired of putting "X's" on their card and 3-4 putting every hole.

Really? Aside from a few holes at Bandon Trails, I'd say it's very wind dependent and much less demanding than many other championship destination courses.  Again, that's why they have one of the best caddy programs in the country...

I think here is the difference.  When you look at most of the top destination courses (Pinehurst, PB, Kohler, etc.), they are part of a complex/areas which several other albeit very nice, much less challenging courses where you can take a breather and a 24 handicap would be more comfortable.

Each one of Bandon's courses could be the best course in each of those place.   I think that is the big difference.  If your golf is off or not that good to begin with it can be a long 72 holes

Phil McDade

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 07:31:10 PM »

2. The golf there is very difficult and demanding.  The experience of walking the courses is beyond measure, but a lot of 16 handicappers will get tired of putting "X's" on their card and 3-4 putting every hole.

Really? Aside from a few holes at Bandon Trails, I'd say it's very wind dependent and much less demanding than many other championship destination courses.  Again, that's why they have one of the best caddy programs in the country...

I think here is the difference.  When you look at most of the top destination courses (Pinehurst, PB, Kohler, etc.), they are part of a complex/areas which several other albeit very nice, much less challenging courses where you can take a breather and a 24 handicap would be more comfortable.

Each one of Bandon's courses could be the best course in each of those place.   I think that is the big difference.  If your golf is off or not that good to begin with it can be a long 72 holes

Mark:

I wouldn't characterize any of Kohler's four courses -- Blackwolf Run River, Meadow Valleys, Straits or Irish -- as easy for a 24-handicap, or even playable in some instances. It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of them for players of that caliber (of which I'm one) -- they are for the most part quite penal, and frustrating, for the high-handicapper.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:38:04 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:43 AM »
Mike, Why delete?

I read the article and it made little sense to me, but, it did highlight how far America has gotten away from it's roots. So much legislation, so many people with agenda driven BS, it's amazing we've lasted this long.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Erdmann

Re: Herb Kohler eyes property on Oregon coast New
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »
Adam, I deleted my post only because I had unknowingly posted within minutes of Peter Pittock posting the same information on a different thread.  Just wanted to limit redundant threads.  But for those that are interested in the subject, I'd posted that the Crook Point resort has been delayed at least a year thanks to the Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals remanding Curry County's approval of the project.  Project isn't dead by any means, but enviro groups appealed Curry County's approval of the project and LUBA ruled that the county made a number of procedural errors and so they're going to make the developer and the county go back and jump through a bunch more hoops.  Article is at http://www.currypilot.com/20110525117805/News/Local-News/State-orders-county-to-make-changes-to-resort-decision
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:35:32 PM by Mike_Erdmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back