News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Randy Thompson

Re: The Next Golf Boom Is In........
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
There will be market without a doubt, lots of investors are looking and studying but are still nervous about getting in bed with the goverment of Cuba. Frankly if i had any money, I would be worried aout having any goverment in the world as a partner but naturally more nervous in Cuba or Venezuela.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
These "news" get recycled periodically.  The Canadians and Spaniards both have long histories of dealing with Castro and his cronies.  I am not aware that any of the deals have yielded happy results for the foreign partners (with the Cuban government), and there's a long line of prospective investors that've gone home with their tails closely tucked under.

While capitalists will exploit most any opportunity to make money, a major consideration has to be first how they're going to make it, followed by how they're going to repatriate it.  In a country controlled by the brute force of men who believe that capitalists are at best "gusanos" and at worst degenerate, immoral exploiters of "the people", I wouldn't want to be doing the risk analysis for those deals.

And even if the Castro regime experiments with the Chinese model, the temperament and culture of the remaining population is unlikely to simultaneously hold capitalist ideals while marching to the tune of the Communist Party.  No doubt that the expatriate community will have some say.  Just like Israel cannot accept the rights of return of Palestinian refugees and survive as a Jewish state, neither can communist Cuba and golf course investors when legitimate claims are made on property forcibly taken by the communists.

The other thing to consider is that Cuba is a rather small place with an extremely poor population.  How many courses can it sustain?

It is a beautiful island, one of many in the world.  Once the "forbidden fruit" attraction wears off, what will it fall back upon?  Gambling?  Legal prostitution? Drugs? Vice?  Been there, done that; enabling the intelligentsia to overthrow the government and force a 50 year experiment in deprivation and hardship on "the people".  God only exiled his immoral, rebellious, faithless chosen people, the Jews, to wander the desert for 40 year!  Surely no one here is suggesting that the new land of milk and honey is replete with neo-classical golf courses?

Let's pick somewhere else.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
I talked to Les Furbur about working there last week.
It's not easy getting paid .... and in some instances you don't.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Ian,
This is normal life outside North America.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
Who is architect Graham Cooke from Canada?

MHiserman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
I have a vote for Argentina.  Wine Country and between Buenos Aries.
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

Tony Ristola

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »
Years ago I'd had contact with an individual who had negotiations with officials about using an international Cuban brand, and exploiting it worldwide. Interesting considering it's a Commi nation and what the plans were.

When Castro's Communist state falls, I don't think the families going back to reclaim their properties will look kindly on those who have developed/assisted the Commies. I know of a developer in a Baltic nation who got toasted after the USSR fell.  I sure wouldn't want to invest in something that you'll likely lose. Now if they're planning something for Gitmo, that's another story!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:05:19 PM by Tony Ristola »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »
I can see it now...Guantonomo Bay will be the Pebble Beach of Cuba!!  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tony Ristola

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
I can see it now...Guantonomo Bay will be the Pebble Beach of Cuba!!  ;D

With Optic Orange clad Caddies.

John_Conley

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »
Who is architect Graham Cooke from Canada?

He's a champion amateur golfer from Canada that has designed a lot of courses, working more than 30 years.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »
... 7 years.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back