News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Please vote for your favorite. You have till EOD Sunday. Anyone can vote, not just people who have played the holes. What I do ask of people who have played either of the holes is to advocate strongly (or speak against it) why you believe this hole deserves some love.

Happy voting!

Richard Choi

Huntley Division, #7 Seed, CC of Fairfield, Hole #9, 200 yards

At least six of Seth Raynor’s designs routinely vie for inclusion among the world top one hundred golf courses, making some modern architects sniff that his work garners too much attention/praise. After all, they argue, the man repeated numerous design themes throughout his designs. To them, this is a sign of weakness as perhaps Raynor was running low on original ideas and concepts of his own. Such comments probably are born out of jealousy, primarily at the fact this engineer was afforded the opportunity to work on so many excellent sites. Fairfield is, of course, one such site and indeed, the author looks at Raynor’s appreciation of the Redan as a blessing. Take here at the ninth for instance. Without a preconceived desire for such a right to left falling hole, what architect would have seen that this abrupt hillside presented the perfect opportunity into which to bench a Redan green? Probably not many and one of the world’s three or four great Redans would never have been built. Hepner pronounces the ninth to be ‘as strong a Redan as you will ever find as it features a great angle and no background, plus the most uniquely contoured approach area that I’ve seen.’

Richard Choi

Huntley Division, #10 Seed, Kiawah Island (Ocean), Hole #8, 197 yards

Pete Dye’s Comment: The only key here is the front part of the approach to the green is short mowed grass.  Downwind, players will have to hit it short hoping it bounces up there.  Into the wind, it’ll be an easy hole, but downwind it could be a nightmare.  The water behind the green shouldn’t come into play.

Mark Saltzman

CC of Fairfield.

In all the times I have played Kiawah, I have never thought (and still don't think) this hole was a reverse redan.

Bill Brightly

CC of Fairfield

PCCraig

How in the world could you call the 8th at Kiawah a Redan?  ???
H.P.S.

Ronald Montesano

Fairfield
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

I thought the 14th at Kiawah was more based on the Redan ... a very hard one at that.

Kalen Braley

I agree with the above sentiments, that 2nd doesn't look like a redan much at all.  Plus that hole at Fairfield looks to be channeling a bit of Shinnecock with the openness and all.

My vote goes to Fairfield as well.

David Kelly

Fairfield in a walkover. Count me as one who doesn't think Kiawah #8 is a reverse redan.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

George Freeman

CC of Fairfield.

In all the times I have played Kiawah, I have never thought (and still don't think) this hole was a reverse redan.

+1
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Andy Hodson

Wouldn't a hole have to be a redan or reverse redan to qualify for this playoff???

#8 Kiawah needs to produce its redan birth certificate, or its out!

Richard Choi

Hmmm... perhaps I selected the wrong Kiawah par 3!

I chose #8 over #14 (which were both nominated) because #14 did not have any fairway run up area at all (it has very raised entrance area which would kick away most ground approaches). I don't think either hole would have made very far...

Bill Brightly

Did you get Fishers Island into the field? If not, dump Kiawah...

Richard Choi

Fisher Island is in. Will be part of the featured matchup next week...

Tiger_Bernhardt

Fairfield

K. Krahenbuhl

Fairfield.  Not even close.

Sam Morrow

Fairfield, I don't see any redan in the hole at Kiawah.

Brent Carlson

Fairfield

Sean_A

Pile on.  #14 is the Redanish hole.  #8 is just a good par 3 - tee hee.  I feel confident that Fairfield deserves this matchup do to a DQ. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark McKeever

CCF

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Phil McDade

Fairfield. Kiawah only has slight Redan-like tendencies.

Michael Ryan

So I have played Kiawah, yet I haven't played CC of Fairfield.  I only point that out as I live exactly .5 miles from the 9th hole that is up for a vote!  So while not properly credentialed to make this vote, CC of F is a far stronger redan hole....

Mike

Richard Choi

15-0 Fairfield blowout so far...

Jason Baran

Fairfield.  How did the Kiawah hole even make it in and #8 at Creek (beautiful example of a classic reverse) got left out?  Baffling.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back