News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Please vote for your favorite. You have till EOD Sunday. Anyone can vote, not just people who have played the holes. What I do ask of people who have played either of the holes is to advocate strongly (or speak against it) why you believe this hole deserves some love.

Happy voting!

Richard Choi

TEPaul Division, #8 Seed, Tamarack, Hole #7, 187 yards

This hole was once a lot longer according to Paul Runyon--I had to drive him by the course on the way to a hotel in Greenwich back in 1989.  We stood in the parking lot for a few minutes while he reminised how the course used to give him fits because the bunkers were so deep.  He pointed to this hole and said it was the longest Redan that they used to play back in the day.  I think the tee used to be back forty yards which would make things kick accross the green better.  I currently does not play anything like a Redan.

Here is the view of Tamarack's #7 Redan hole from the tee box.  You can see the fairway bunker 50 yards short of the green, but there are 2 giant bunkers front left and back right, which are not even visible from the tee box.

This picture gives a sense of the size of the right rear bunker (behind the huge hill on the green).  The picture was taken from the 8th tee, to the right of the hole and looking across the green.  You can also see how the rectangular green is actually angled 45 degrees so the front left bunker actually has greater carry the further to the left you go (although it looks parallel from the tee).  Makes the back left pin particularly sneaky for those trying to carry the front left bunker.

This picture, from the left of the hole, gives nice perspective of the front left "hole" bunker.  Note from the size of the pin, how deep this bunker actually is, standing in it, you are a good 10-12 feet below the putting surface.  One of my least favorite places at Tamarack!

Richard Choi

TEPaul Division, #9 Seed, Kingsley, Hole #16, 225 yards

From Tim Bert: From the tips, a low runner well right of the target works rather well.  Mike teed his ball up on this hole and hit his shot well right of the green.  It was far enough right that I recall thinking he must have really pushed it out there to the right.  He seemed pleased enough with himself despite what appeared to be a lackluster effort.  Well, we all learned the lesson of "architect knows best" as we watched his ball land well right, bounce and roll to the left, disappear from view behind a small mound, reappear on the green, and trickle left until it settled rather nicely on the green not too far from the pin.

Jim_Kennedy

No comments as to the relative merits of the individual holes, but comparing a modern aerial to ones from '34 and '49 doesn't show a 40 yard difference in the length of Tamarack's Redan. It does look like a small section at the back of the '34 tee was removed, but nothing that would add up to 40 yards. The front left corner of the 6th green (a rather square corner) was rounded off sometime between '74 and 2004 and an existing bunker at that corner was repositioned. Some bushes were planted to screen the 7th tee from the 6th green, the tee for #7 was widened, and a new front tee was added during that time frame.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:38:52 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill Brightly

Kingsley

Ronald Montesano

scraping the bottom of the barrel here, it seems...Tamarack
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jonathan_becker

Kingsley

George Freeman

The Tamarack hole does look good but I have to give the nod to Kingsley.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Kalen Braley

I'm assuming the bottom 4 seeds in each bracket will be voted on to reduce down to a 32 hole bracket with the traditional 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5 structure?

Never played either but the one at Kingsley looks far more interesting.  So I'll vote for that one.

Jud_T

Wow, a bracket where I've actually played both numerous times.  Actually a tougher call than I'd like to admit and I'd love for Tammy to get more exposure here, but I have to stay loyal: Kingsley
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Baran

Kingsley

Nick_Christopher

Kingsley

Mark McKeever

Kingsley

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

PCCraig

Sorry Kingsley lovers :) ... #7 at Tamarack  :-[
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

Tamarack -- although I could be convinced otherwise....

Richard Choi

9 to 3, Kingsley so far. I think this could end up close...

Barry Cohen

Given I took the photos, and I think even they don't fully do the hole justice.....TAMARACK!

I've played that redan at Kingsley a number of times, never well!  I think it's the 16th hole and it's crushed a nice round more than once!

Brent Carlson

Kingsley

Richard Choi

10 to 4 Kingsley wins and will meet The Original (North Berwick) next.

Jud_T

Great.  Kingsley against The Original.  That's like the Bulls vs. LeBron & Co., what happened to the easy early rounds?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Richard Choi

Sorry, Jud. Things are not looking up... :)

Perhaps if I took one of those offers to play Kingsley, it would have been seeded higher. I definitely need to get out there one of these days...

Jud_T

Just say the word and I'll meet you there!...I'll be seeing the chiropractor this afternoon after 76 holes this weekend....

John_Cullum

Kingsley's has no charm at all. Tamarack is a decent hole
"We finally beat Medicare. "

George Freeman

Kingsley's has no charm at all. Tamarack is a decent hole

John - KC's 16th has no charm at all?  Please expound.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Charlie Visconsi

Kingsley.  I had the same experience as Richard's earlier post as I was lucky enough to play the course twice with Mike DeVries.  He showed me the shot about forty yards right of the green and then watch is feed towards the green.  Very very cool natural use of the land.  I cant wait the play the hole in about a month when I visit Kingsley again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back