News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Wilbur

Man vs. Nature: Nature Wins
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/collection_10652f9a-76d2-54a2-86cb-795cc6d0b0e7.html#6

Sorry to see the likely devestation occur.  I was scheduled to play there Friday and hoped to present some pictures of an under-appreciated Palmer design.  The course lines the Missouri River and the huge cottonwood trees provide an impressive setting.  I am assuming the design team felt that the dam upriver would protect them from excess flooding, but it does open up a question for designers.  Would you ever use a personal "sniff" test to determine that putting a hole or a course in a susceptible setting is not an acceptible risk?

the 18th hole pictured had an island green that went into the main channel when first designed.  That didn't last long.

David Harshbarger

Re: Man vs. Nature: Nature Wins
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:43:38 PM »
First thought following your link was "Damn, the governor sure takes his golf seriously!". Then I realized it isn't just a golf course being flooded.

The Hudson took out our Baseball fields in late April and after the waters receded they were none the worse for wear.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back