News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

NorthWest Wyoming Golfing
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »
So I'm headed to North West Wyoming, Cody area, for the Memorial day weekend.  Does anyone know if there are any courses in the general vicinity, (25-30 mile radius or so), that would be worth taking my clubs for?  I'll probably have time for one round.

P.S.  As I'll be coming west from Spokane, I'd like to stop off and play Old Works along the way, but don't think the family would put up with a 4 hr lunch break!  ;D

Thanks in advance!

Garland Bayley

Re: NorthWest Wyoming Golfing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:36:04 AM »
So I'm headed to North West Wyoming, Cody area, for the Memorial day weekend.  Does anyone know if there are any courses in the general vicinity, (25-30 mile radius or so), that would be worth taking my clubs for?  I'll probably have time for one round.

P.S.  As I'll be coming west from Spokane, I'd like to stop off and play Old Works along the way, but don't think the family would put up with a 4 hr lunch break!  ;D

Thanks in advance!

Dude,

You're talking Montana and Wyoming. There is nothing within 25-30 miles from anywhere in that country. Besides, why would you limit yourself to a 15 minute travel time?

They tried golf in that part of the country, but the grizzly bears interfered. They told the golfers to wear bells, and carry mace to handle the bears. When the golfers asked how they would know bears were around, they told them to look for bear sign. When the golfers asked what bear sign was like, they said it was easy to identify, it had bells in it, and it smelled like mace.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:22:03 AM »
Olive Glen is the only place I could find.

http://oliveglenngolf.com/
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
Adam,

I found that course as well as one in Powell and a few other neighboring towns. I was curious if anyone had any experience with them and which one if any, are worth a play.

Thanks,

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
Kalen,

Besides Adam and I, how many people on this board do you think have ever been to Cody or Powell?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:48:44 PM »
Kalen,

Besides Adam and I, how many people on this board do you think have ever been to Cody or Powell?

I was taking a shot in the dark....was hoping perhaps someone lived in the area for awhile.  We'll see if someone else chimes in the next day or two.

P.S.  Matt Ward would have likely chimed in if he were still around, but apparently this isn't the case.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
I've yet to get up that way. Its on the GW ballot and fit the vicinity. Wyoming, I suspect has more nine holers than 18's.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Lance Rieber

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
Kalen 
I played Olive Glenn a couple of years ago.  It;s a fun course with some interesting holes that get away from the houses, good shape and Dave Snyder (PGA)is a great guy.  Nothing to else to see or play close though.   You could stop off in the Teton Valley and get a look at Huntsman Springs and Headwaters at Teton Springs.  I haven't played Huntsman but Headwaters is the best course I have played in Idaho.  Lots of fun.  Or Jackson and maybe get onto Shooting Star (Fazio) or Teton Pines (Palmer).  They are both pretty fun along with Jackson Hole Golf and Tennis(RTJ Jr I believe).  Cody is a really cool town.  Rodeo every night starting in June and ending in August, great food and wonderful scenery back to the west and north.   
Lance

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »
Thanks Lance,

Have you ever played the course in Powell?  And if so how does it compare to the one in Cody?

Thanks again.

Kalen

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Kalen,

I've been to Cody twice!  Great little town...  No idea about the golf however.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
Kalen,

Have you ever played cow pasture pool?

You should look for some small town, unimproved golf course. The greens are actually brown, because they are made of sand. The fairways are the only "mown" portion, where there are tufts of grass here and there about, and you all allowed to move the ball with your clubhead to one of those tufts, before hitting. The rough is rough, play it as it lies. If you are worried about playing by strict rules, have no worry. You never hit fairways, so playing it as it lies will be how you will be playing from the rough. And, you putt so bad that you will not need to use the bar to smooth a path to the hole, as any random path will do for you.

Now if we can just get you off that vanity handicap thing. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back