News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Buzminski

Back Yard Short Game Area
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Anyone else have a little short game practice area in their backyard?   I made an area for my 6 year old son last summer to try to get him interested in golf - I put the mower on the lowest setting, made a little green.  My son and I made a flagstick together out of a a tomato stake and some plastic which we made into a flag.   In the fall, I moved my kids' sandbox to that area so I could teach my son how to hit sand shots - as soon as it dries out (it's been a really wet spring here), we can start trying those.  I should add that we are lucky in that we live in a rural area on an acre or so with wooded areas, so there is no chance of a skulled shot hitting a car or someone's house, etc.  Anyway, it has worked....I get home from work some days and my son is down there happily playing pitch and chip shots.   He can hit a 3/4 wedge shot from the furthest point, probably around 30 yards or so.   It may not rival Tiger's new Jupiter digs, but it certainly has been fun to take turns hitting pitches with my son - he gets a real kick when he sticks one in there close to the "pin"!   It's funny though - even just this one little area has piqued my interest regarding turf conditions, watering, etc.  Who knew!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:46:06 PM by Mark Buzminski »

David Harshbarger

Re: Back Yard Short Game Area
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 04:29:27 PM »
Mark, I've told my kids I would put in a ball field and a golf course (4 greens) on part of our farm.  They are excited about both.  I'm sure they would be down there playing away if it were there, even if the greens are mowed to 1/4" or higher, or the fairways are really light rough.

Good for you for doing that.  In the end it's all about fun.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
I used to have one back at my parents house.  It has since grassed over, but I think the hole is still in the ground and the bunker shapes remain.  I dug two bunkers and had an old school green made of dirt/sand.  I used to grow the rough nice and long too which made for some fun shots.  There was a good angle where I had a full 80 yard wedge into the green (and an optional tee that required a carry of the pool on my tee shot)  :)  I'd spend hours out there growing up.  I will have to dig around to see if there are any pictures of it.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:33:47 PM by Mark McKeever »
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

David Harshbarger

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
I love the pool carry.  I have a plan where there's a lob wedge 40 yard shot over the pond, where for some pins the play is off the roof of the barn.

Good on you for setting up that little course. 
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Brock Peyer

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:54 PM »
My Brother dug a little bunker in one backyard we had, in another, I could hit drivers off our deck into a field behind our house, my kids and I hit shots off of a mat on our patio into various flower beds but the best one was in college, I lived on Wrightsville Beach and my buddies and I would hit 5 irons off the beach at night towards the Johnny Mercers pier, does that count?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back