News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Two of the nicest compliments yet
« on: January 30, 2002, 08:15:43 AM »
I received a copy of Florida Ledge newspaper from January 17th. On page E2, there is a big picture of architect Steve Smyers in front of a blown up picture of the home page of GolfClubAtlas.com.

The caption is My Favorite Site and the text reads "Local golf course architect Steve Smyers enjoys keeping track of golf courses around the country and the world. He found the site www.golfclubatlas.com allows him to read up on other golf course architects, discuss design and architecture, opinions, and the history of architecture. "It's interesting to keep up on it," said Smyers, who has an office in Lakeland. He visits the site about three times a week."

The second compliment came in a letter from an individual (who lives in what many consider the center of the golf universe) that reads "....All in all I think you really brought forward the concept of protecting the old and inspiring the new." I may put "protecting the old and inspiring the new" somewhere on the home page - pretty much says it all, don't you agree? What a lofty goal that is for us to pursue!

Hopefully, the web site can live up to the compliments from such knowledgeable devotees of the game.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

Re: Two of the nicest compliments yet
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2002, 08:17:26 AM »
VERY cool, Ran.

And I love the new motto....

Thanks again for all your efforts here.

TH

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2002, 09:27:57 AM »
Ran:

I firmly believe in your forum and the positive far-reaching effects it is having now on golf course architecture and it will have in the years to come. Viva GCA!!!

Sorry we couldn't get together here in one of the centers of the golfing universe last year - maybe 2002.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 09:52:39 AM »
It truly must make it all worthwhile.  It is great that you get such nice feedback, and I am sure you realize that all the contributors feel the same.

Paul Daley

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2002, 11:30:20 AM »
Ran:

You, this website, and your hordes of devotees, are having what is commonly referred in Australia as ..."A RED HOT GO".
Keep up the great work.

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2002, 06:00:38 PM »
Ran,
Congratulations. I hope our paths cross at one of the GCA get togethers this year. Thanks for all your efforts. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2002, 06:03:59 PM »
Thanks for everything. Keep up the great work, R & J!

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2002, 06:33:15 PM »
Ran-baby

I've been in the design industry for around 14 years, mainly as a backbencher. Putting the lines on paper, handed to me from the designers. I always wanted to get more hands-on with the actual design process at some stage, but really feel my lack of exposure, or at least seeing in person these great golf courses of the world, would keep my design thoughts "restricted".

I reckon I have learned more in the last 18 months exposed to GCA and been more beneficial in my career path, than the previous 12 years.

Now, unless the right balls in lotto drop, I doubt if I will get the opportunity to duck over to St Andrews, Bandon Dunes and the like, to further my education. However in the meantime the exchange of ideas on GCA is the best i've got to work with.

Many thanks to Ran and all the contributers.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2002, 08:04:35 PM »
Ran,
I must admit that I had never heard of the site before it was mentioned this past summer at the Donald Ross Society meeting at Holston Hills. Your father promoted it a bit as well! ;)
Thereafter, I bet that I have visited the site every single day. Although I have not participated in the DG very often, I do read and try to contribute in other ways, such as with the "in my opinion" section.
Many of my friends, some of which I have not spoken to in years, are starting to frequent the site as a result of a prior one-stop inquiry. They see what is offered and they are "hooked" just like myself. I now know of at least 10 gentlemen who visit the site often but do not contribute to the DG. My point is that there must be thousands who do the same.
Consequently, I think the architects are wrong for not contributing any more than they do because of their belief that they would be arguing points of interests against such a small group of inner-devotees. The site is much bigger than the Tom Pauls, Tommy Naccaratos, Pat Muccis, Mark Fines, Jeff Mingays, Tom Macwoods etc. I hate to single these few out but I'm sure that they would agree.
If the architects knew of their misconception and actually participated, it may perhaps bring alot of readers out of the woodwork. I, for instance, would love to ask Ron Pritchard a question about bunker restoration, and on a more personal note, I would love to talk to Bill Coore about Old Town Club where he played in college. Tom Doak gave Roaring Gap Club and Old Town very high grades in his Confidential Guide. I was pleased and surprised! But Why?
Thus, this site is BIG and it is still growing, but who knows what level of communication and education could be ultimately acheived if more of the experts, such as architects (Supers and Editors) participated.
Great Job, Ran!!!  And Thanks! ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2002, 09:18:25 PM »
Mr. White,

If too many of those archies start getting as hooked on this site as some of us, whom among them would have time to be out there designing, building, and restoring the courses?  ;)  This could start a whole new leading economic indicator measuring the activity in the golf construction market based on how many archies are posting on GCA during a given period.  But, I'm glad they do lurk in.  I think the site has evolved from when I first started following it when perhaps the archies saw us as a small bunch of computer addicted golf desing geeks.  Now, I believe they might see GCA as a site that is unquestionably the broadest source of informed opinions and resource on general architecture/design taste and trends available.  I've tried to check for internet resources on other design and art forms.  There are some very paltry efforts in building architecture, and art and sculptor etc.   But, there is nothing on the net that I know of, including various bulletin boards in science fields and technical fields that have the depth and bredth of discussion found here.  

The best part is when you get to meet someone whose writing you have been reading for a long time.  Always surprising and exciting...  ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back