News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: LACC North, the restoration
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »
This looks like an absolutely amazing (and important) achievement.

I'm not surprised at all by Gil's, Jim's and Geoff's smart, detailed contributions. But I am (very happily) surprised that the powers that be at LACC bought into the "big picture" concept of this important restoration.

Congratulations again to all involved. 
jeffmingay.com

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2010, 12:31:36 PM »

That booklet published by the Club is very special and a great read. I loved the description of Gil sitting on a backhoe and uncovering original bunkers 6 feet down! Not so dead after all!

Great writing and soooo interesting. Thanks to Gil and Geoff and congrats to all involved.

Bob J

Tim Liddy

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2010, 07:53:43 PM »
A textbook example on the best approach for golf course restoration. It is exemplary in every way.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »

That argument about it being like it used to be doesn't always fly with a high powered membership.  There were a few at SFGC who didn't agree with restoring the original 13th to 15th holes and they are still up in arms five years later ... and that was not as big a cultural change as these pics show.  Hopefully the LACC membership is an enlightened one.
[/quote]

There are some big differences between the conditions at LACC and SFGC.  LACC has 36 holes and is hosting the Walker Cup in a few years, although the decision to do the work was well in advance to the Walker Cup announcement. 

SFGC did not have John Harbottle butcher the course like LACC.  In fact, at SFGC, they were very happy with the architect and the rebuild of the greens they took a leap of faith.

In the end I think both have "enlightened" memberships but the North course was in such poor condition they had to do something.

jkinney

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »
Played the restored North for the first time 11/5. In every respect Hanse's work is sensational. Captain Thomas and Billy Bell are surely smiling down from Golfers' Heaven. The PDF put on this thread earlier is a must read for anyone interested in George Thomas' work. And yet....
the pictures therein from Geoff Shaclkleford, though well framed, cannot begin to capture the effect on one's senses of the sum of all the parts of the restoration put together. What was heretofore one of the very top parkland grounds has now, IMO, one of the best
parkland courses on it. I suspect LACC North will move into the second ten in US rankings.

Alex Miller

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »
Bump

Don't know how many others like to explore courses via google earth, but the imagery for LACC has been updated and I love taking "interactive" tours where I can measure out yardages and look at aerials while also having ground level photos.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
I played the course a few weeks ago and it is truly magnificent.Gil and Geoff should visit a few more Thomas courses in this area.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »
I too played this gem a few weeks back.

Always a fan of the terrain, the routing and the club, I was blown away by the work Geoff, Gil and Jim did there. It's one of the very best renovation/restorations I've ever seen. The bunkering style is magnificent and the restoration of the approach angles elegant. The new 2nd is solid and at no spot on the course did I ever feel like anything was overdone or out of character. The expansion of certain greens made me feel like I was playing the course for the first time (I've played it regularly over the past 15yrs)

Although I played poorly on my most recent round, I was so impressed and wowed by the course, I didn't care a bit. The "new" LACC North is simply one of the very best courses in the US! Bravo to the Hanse/Shackleford/Wagner triad and kudos to the club's decision-makers for supporting such a bold strategy.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

George Freeman

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2011, 12:30:10 PM »
Jon,

Like so many courses, sometimes the unique features, the ones that originally distinquished the course, are lost over time.

I've always liked the bunker style of Dr Mac & GT.

The look is improved and I can't see how playability isn't anything but better.

If you have more photos, please post them.

Thanks

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Superb overview and the results speak for themselves. Thought the tree removals, in the main, were spot on. I've not played the restored North yet, but when I had my only spin around it thus far, in 2001, it was in fine condition and the ground rated as good an inland, parkland setting as I'd played to date. This restoration would seem to elevate it. Well done to the entire team and kudos to a membership that dared for greatness!  8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back