News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Re: GCA Boomerang 2012 at Paraparaumu NZ, expressions of interest...
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »
Hi all

Anyone looking to extend their trip or take in some of the other areas while here, let me know what I can do to help.

Also, my partner is a travel agent here in NZ so if you need someone with good local knowledge of all things travel she would be most happy to assist.

Grant

James Bennett

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
I am interested.  It might be my opportunity to see the South Isalnd as well.  I would prefer a 2-day or perhaps 2.5 day event, plus some optional golf that will probably be independent of the event before/after.

ps  if the person with the 'job' in Adelaide needs some local advice, let me or terry Thornton know.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dustin Knight

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 05:31:26 AM »
Definately in for this!

KP - I agree, I think four days with only one venue could be too much for some. If i'm coming over for a week I would want to include KC,CK, Titirangi etc. getting those in then becomes a solid 10 day trip. If the event were 2-3 days maximum it would still make it viable for those who could dash over from the east coast (late Thursday afternoon and be back for work Monday morning.) for what would essentially be a long weekend and minimal hassle for those with work commitments. I know I would be prepared to pop over and back just for 3 days, its not really any more travel time than tassie. Just a thought.

I'm happy to go with the flow.  The touble with the wham/bam play as many as you can routine is that you lose a bit of the magic of a course if you only play it once.  I suppose that's where the 36/day thing comes in, but I'm just getting too out of shape to handle that over multiple days  (I suppose there is plenty of time to get in shape!).

Scott C,
You better get in shape quickly, I think an evening test match of Aussies v Kiwis will be high on the agenda.....
Current series is a MASSIVE 1 nil lead to the Aussies ;D ;D maybe its a good thing you live close by ;)

Lost Farm........ WOW!

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 05:54:19 AM »
Seems to be a fair chorus against a 4-day event and I can see why.

A 16-man matchplay bracket would mean four rounds, which could be 18 Friday PM, 36 Saturday and 18 Sunday AM. Obviously those who were keen could add extra rounds on Friday and Sunday if there was availability.

Would work for those just coming for the weekend, would still allow a chance to get acquainted with Pram and would allow those making a longer trip of it 5.5 days beforehand if they fly in Saturday AM and leave the following Sunday night.

Also avoids Thursday with Leo saying that wasn't a really good day because it will be busy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:21:27 AM by Scott Warren »

Ash Towe

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 06:18:23 AM »
Hi Scott,

That would work for me.

If I cannot get there to play on Friday it would still give me 54 holes and that is certainly worthwhile.

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing to make this happen.

Scott Coan

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 11:10:42 PM »
After taking everybody’s advice onboard and consultation with the Club, it appears a 2-day event fits best with options at the front and back for an extended tour.

The primary dates are Friday, 2 March & Saturday, 3 March 2012; 36 holes per day (with secondary dates of Friday, 23 March & Saturday, 24 March 2012).

In terms of hitting up some other NZ courses, the following itinerary seems the best fit.  I’m more than happy to fly into Auckland and troupe down the North Island with anyone that wants to take this route:

Get yourself to Auckland Tuesday night...
Play 18 at Titirangi on Wednesday morning (www.titirangigolf.co.nz).
Drive to Lake Taupo on Wednesday afternoon (~4 hrs.)
Play 18 at Kinloch on Thursday morning (www.kinloch-golf.com).
Drive to Paraparaumu on Thursday Afternoon (~4.5 hrs.)
Play 36/36 on Fri, Sat at Paraparaumu Beach.

Fly Wellington to Queenstown on Sunday morning and play Jacks Point (www.jackspoint.com).
Get yourself back home out of Queenstown...

Anybody coming in from further afield than Aussie will most likely want to play either Kauri Cliffs or Cape Kidnappers as they are bucket-list type courses, they just present the dual problems of being super expensive and a bit out of the way.  Kauri is a 4 hour drive north of Auckland and Kidnappers is a 2.5 hour drive east of Taupo.

The list:
1.  Scott Coan (NZ, Pram)
2.  Scott Warren (OZ, Sydney)
3.  Leo Barber (NZ, Pram)
4.  Kevin Hughes (NZ, Pram )
5.  Russell Fitzgerald (NZ, Pram)

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 11:29:03 PM »
Great work, Scott.

What sort of cost are we looking at for Kinloch? I thought it was about the same as KC and CK?

Scott Coan

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 11:52:20 PM »
Great work, Scott.

What sort of cost are we looking at for Kinloch? I thought it was about the same as KC and CK?

Kinloch won out over Kidnappers for a few reasons...
It’s 2.5 hours closer to Auckland in drive time and it’s half the price (175 vs. 360).
Also have the option of adding in Wairakei, which is just down the road.

All the other courses are quite reasonable in terms of cost.
Titirangi        150 (75 if NZ affiliated – another debate in a different thread!)
Paraparaumu    150 for 36 holes
Jacks Point        80

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
Beautiful.

I have recips at Titirangi, so that helps if I can sign some others in as my guests and we split their savings through the group.

There's also the fact that all those prices in NZ$ come down by about a quarter when converted to Aussie/US dollars.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:17 AM »
Thanks Scott C

I like the look of that trip moreso now - please pen me down.

Ash Towe

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
Scott,

I should be able to get there for March 2 and 3.  I will confirm soon.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 02:59:01 AM »
Do not under estimate driving times in NZ whilst good quality the roads are not quick. From our experiences earlier this year Kinloch is superb and well worth a trip but negotiate on price as they are in need of business. Seeking out the Kiwi Experience bus in Taupo is the road to nowhere!!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back