News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Re: Australia Golf Trip
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:47 PM »
Okay - My problem is that I can only make the trip on Wednesday and they do not allow outside play on Wednesday.

Wednesday seems to be Ladies day in Australia.

I have Royal Melbourne on Tuesday and Victoria/Kingston Heath on Thursday then fly to Barnbougle for 2 days.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
Paul -- NSWGC allows outside play on a Wednesday if you can find a member to host.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:29 AM »
If NSW doesn't pan out, head south for rounds St. Andrews Beach and Portsea... or the courses at Peninsula... or  the courses at The National... or stick to Melbourne (Commonwealth, Metro, Woodlands, Yarra Yarra).
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Michael Taylor

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »
Paul,

If you do decide to make a day trip up to Sydney during your holiday, I would be more than happy to host you at NSW. It would be fantastic if you could get a game at The Lakes as well, but I do not know of anyone that would be able to get us on there. NSW is currently resurfacing all 18 of our greens, and the work is planned to finish in late December. So they should be great putting surfaces by the time you are in town.

What are the dates of your trip down under Paul?

Justin Ryan

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »
Okay - My problem is that I can only make the trip on Wednesday and they do not allow outside play on Wednesday.

I have Royal Melbourne on Tuesday and Victoria/Kingston Heath on Thursday then fly to Barnbougle for 2 days.
If you want NSW style views but with a decent golf course, stay in Victoria and play National Old. Probably worth having the National burger then working it off playing the Moonah course why you are there, given it is highly rated. Or scoot around to St Andrews Beach.

Paul Jones

« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »
Paul,

If you do decide to make a day trip up to Sydney during your holiday, I would be more than happy to host you at NSW. It would be fantastic if you could get a game at The Lakes as well, but I do not know of anyone that would be able to get us on there. NSW is currently resurfacing all 18 of our greens, and the work is planned to finish in late December. So they should be great putting surfaces by the time you are in town.

What are the dates of your trip down under Paul?

WOW - Thanks Michael.  Just sent you an email.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Jones

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
I finalized my trip for March and was able to add Victoria (stay and play).

Now a few logistic questions... 

Does Australia accept US Dollars are only AUS Dollars?
If AUS only, is it better to do the exchange in US before I go or when I arrive in AUS ?
What is the best way to get a cell phone to use while in Australia for local calls - can I add a local SIM card to my ATT phone?
Is it better to rent a car or taxi?

My final schedule is as follows:
Monday - Land and Play Victoria
Tuesday - Play Royal Melbourne West
Wednesday - Play New South Wales (Thank You Michael for hosting me)
Thursday - Play Kingston Heath
Friday - Play Barnbougle Dunes
Saturday - Play Lost Farm
Sunday - Depart

Thanks for everyone help !!!

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

David Kelly

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2012, 12:16:05 PM »
If AUS only, is it better to do the exchange in US before I go or when I arrive in AUS ?
What is the best way to get a cell phone to use while in Australia for local calls - can I add a local SIM card to my ATT phone?

AUS dollars only.  The exchange rate is so close that I would just do the exchange in the Melbourne airport on arrival.  You won't get the best rate but I think the convenience factor is more important.

I would normally say that renting a car is always better but you are there for such a short time and your trip is broken up into four segments so it might make sense to just get a taxi.

I called T-mobile the last time I went to Australia and they took care of my phone for me.

BTW, If you plan on eating dinner at Victoria during your stay and play bring a jacket.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
I finalized my trip for March and was able to add Victoria (stay and play).

Now a few logistic questions... 

My final schedule is as follows:
Monday - Land and Play Victoria
Tuesday - Play Royal Melbourne West
Wednesday - Play New South Wales (Thank You Michael for hosting me)
Thursday - Play Kingston Heath
Friday - Play Barnbougle Dunes
Saturday - Play Lost Farm
Sunday - Depart

Thanks for everyone help !!!

Paul

Nice schedule... you are really hitting the high points there. Glad Michael Taylor is hosting you. As you've probably worked by now, Wednesday is not Ladies' Day, but midweek Mens comp day at golf clubs throughout Australia–so throw down your $8 in the pro-shop for the comp, jump on Pup's back for the Fourball and you might win it back in the form of a single Pro V1... ;)
Next!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
Paul, Katie just got home from Oz. Nonstops from DFW to Sydney.  Cell service was great, but internet was hit and miss depending on hotel and area.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

AUS dollars only.  The exchange rate is so close that I would just do the exchange in the Melbourne airport on arrival.  You won't get the best rate but I think the convenience factor is more important.

I would normally say that renting a car is always better but you are there for such a short time and your trip is broken up into four segments so it might make sense to just get a taxi.

I called T-mobile the last time I went to Australia and they took care of my phone for me.

BTW, If you plan on eating dinner at Victoria during your stay and play bring a jacket.

You're not going to believe this David but down there they now have these incredible machines that spit cash at you. I think the locals call them "ATMs" and they often seem to show up in these places they call "banks."

Sorry, I'm just having fun with you.

Re sim cards not all US carriers' phones accept them and for those that do you first must get your carrier to unlock your phone.

No need for a car rental in Sydney or Melbourne, taxis and trams will get it done, although you'll miss the chance in Melbourne for a few exciting hook turns.

Scott Warren

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »
You will get far and away the best exchange rate by withdrawing from the ATM/cash machine/cashpoint/bankomat/hole-in-the-wall/call-it-what-you-will.

Between some countries there is a necessity that your PIN for such machines is a certain number of digits, but if you check with your bank before you go, you won't have any issues.

You also need to know whether to select savings/cheque/other when the machine prompts you. These options may differ from what the machines at home display and, again, your bank can set you straight.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2012, 05:25:52 AM »
I'll pick you up from your hotel in the city and drive you to and from KH on the Thursday Paul.
I'll throw a few hook turns in for good measure.  :)

Also - I've found a great cash exchange here in Melbourne -
I just swapped $1K aust for $1050 US today.

If you've got green backs with you, they will offer a good rate.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Paul Jones

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I'll pick you up from your hotel in the city and drive you to and from KH on the Thursday Paul.
I'll throw a few hook turns in for good measure.  :)

Also - I've found a great cash exchange here in Melbourne -
I just swapped $1K aust for $1050 US today.

If you've got green backs with you, they will offer a good rate.

MM

Thanks Matthew. I will call you
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back