News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

Re: Australia Golf Trip
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
My trip is almost complete.  I was able to confirm Royal Melbourne West this week :-).

Monday: Arrive
Tuesday: Play Royal Melbourne West
Wednesday: Not Confirmed, but will probably play Victoria
Thursday: Play Kingston Heath
Friday: Play Barnbougle Dunes
Saturday: Play Lost Farm
Sunday: Depart

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Royal Melbourne East will be closed for 6 months.  Does anyone know what they are doing to the course?

Paul, that is perfect. I'd definitely try to play Victoria. You'll find a week isn't nearly enough and you'll want to be back ASAP. That's how I feel, anyhow. If my wife would have it, I'd live there!

Justin Ryan

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:35 PM »
I would play the courses at Peninsula or Woodlands before Victoria. And Commonwealth.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 01:40:51 AM »
Paul

As nice as Peninsula and woodlands are, Victoria is a clear step above since Clayton's work

You should plan on 36 holes a day in and around the sandbelt, even walking some of the courses in the evening before you head to the wonderful array of restaurants the boys have mentioned.

Most of our overseas visitors either play the heath, commonealth or vic afther playing here in the morning

I concur with Brett regarding Voretex, if you are tight for time you can do both BD and Lost Farm in 1 day flying in and out.

If you need any access help let me know and I will do what I can

Andrew Bertram
Head Professional
The Yarra Yarra Golf Club

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 02:11:57 AM »
Andrew beat me to it - Justin - am not sure why you would recommend Woodlands over Victoria, as Andrew said, after the changes have been completed, it is a great track and experience. perhaps only cost may be a factor - not sure of difference in green fees.

And staying at Victoria is also a really nice way to 'feel' the sandbelt.
@theflatsticker

Justin Ryan

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2011, 06:09:46 AM »
Andrew beat me to it - Justin - am not sure why you would recommend Woodlands over Victoria, as Andrew said, after the changes have been completed, it is a great track and experience. perhaps only cost may be a factor - not sure of difference in green fees.

And staying at Victoria is also a really nice way to 'feel' the sandbelt.
I always found the Woodlands offered more variety and interest than Victoria. Although I must concede I haven't been to Vic for a while, and haven't played the new first hole (or 17th).

Staying at Peninsula, having breakfast then knocking over 36 would also work pretty well I'd have though.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35:23 AM »
The North at Peninsula contrasts with most of the rest of the sandbelt because it is a lot more undulating.
Only Royal Melbourne was more interesting land and for that reason it is worth playing.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »
If you are not planning to play 36 at Vic on the Wednesday I would say get over to Woodlands for a quick 18 in the morning before Vic in the afternoon or make the short drive down to St Andrews Beach if you want to save some money. It is definitely the best value golf I have ever played but with playing both the Barnbougle courses you might prefer to spend more time on the sandbelt?

Personally from my limited experience I preferred Woodlands to any of the the other sandbelt courses outside the big two (RM an KH which I only walked) and maybe even preferred it to Vic, controversial I know though I would need to play Vic again a few times to really decide. Commonwealth is also a very solid course with a couple of excellent holes but I don't think it has the charm which Woodlands has in abundance.

Saying that I haven't played Metro or Peninsula but have heard many good things about both.

Sightseeing wise in Melbourne there isn't much as has already been discussed. It doesn't have the big landmarks like Sydney has but it has lots of little bits and pieces to visit and the city is at its best if you take the time to get to know them. If you get the chance to do this Melbourne is fantastic. On a short trip like yours I'd say take a quiet evening and head down to St Kilda beach, get yourself some fish and chips which are not up to British standards, but not bad and sit down by the beach eating them whilst the sun goes down over the harbour. Then wander down to the promenade and if your lucky enough to not have Japanese tourists scarring them off watch the Penguins come out as it gets dark. A fantastic little experience which I never expected in a city like Melbourne.

Have fun I am hugely jealous...I need to go back there sometime!

Scott Warren

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
Thomas: if by "not up to British standards" you mean the fish and chips down here aren't soggy and stodgy, then yeah, I agree.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
Thomas: if by "not up to British standards" you mean the fish and chips down here aren't soggy and stodgy, then yeah, I agree.

I was waiting for the standard Aussie response to my complaints about your fish and chips!

I will assume you have just had a poor experience whilst in Britain and let you off for your outburst as not every fish and chip shop over here is really that good, the best ones need to be searched out for a proper fish supper.

I'll admit the fish is usually pretty decent and often very fresh in Oz but those things you call chips are a sorry excuse to say the least. Nobody does chips quite like the British, slightly stodgy maybe I can accept that as they aren't exactly meant to be healthy eating but they should certainly not be soggy......unless of course you have soaked them in malt vinegar, none of this white wine vinegar rubbish most Aussie fish and chips shops I visited had!!

Scott Warren

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
In the spirit of your concessions above, I will say that among the best fish and chips I have eaten are the serve I had from Anstruther Fish Bar. Wow!

Truly though, in two years living in and travelling around Britain, I had very few fish and chip experiences that impressed me. The chips in Britain, as you correctly point out, are spectacular. The fish, though, tends to be too heavily battered for my tastes and retains too much oil, leaving you with a mouthful of grease.

Aussie battered fish + British chips + a cold pint of an American IPA = heaven!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
The Fish Bar next to The Quest at Brighton Beach is fish and chips at it's worst, fortunately it wasn't me eating them!

Australian beer also sucks it's impossible to get a warm pint anywhere  :'(
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »
....it's impossible to get a warm pint anywhere  :'(

Chappers

As it should be. 

BTW  I saw some of your Dealies hangin about Burnham on Saturday watching England squeeze out what can loosely be called a victory.  For sure your deck chair and matching bag are well famous - tee hee.

BTW II - Scott is right.  Fish & Chips in England is way over-rated.  Its very hard to find a decent quality fish bar.  In fact, the last time I had really good f&c was in PadStein - go figure.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
There were 8 deckchairs on display at dinner in NY on Friday as well as deckchair trousers matched with a dark blazer, that did look cool.

For London visitors the Sea Shell in Lisson Grove, Marylebone, NW8 serves very good fish and chips as does the little one at the end of Strutton Ground off Victoria Street, SW1.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »
Chappers

Its a small world.  I have been to the Seashell a handful of times and it is good.  Shame about the London prices though.  I seem to recall paying $35 or maybe more (this was when I first moved to England and was still in conversion mode) for cod and chips and a few pints.  All of us Yanks could only laugh...

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tom Kelly

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 07:01:16 AM »
The new (ish) place in St Andrews the tail-end is pretty good if your ever in town.

You're are right it is starting to get ridiculously expensive for what was traditionally a basic, cheap meal. Anywhere they can sell to tourists it is going to be steep!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:30:26 AM by Thomas Kelly »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »
It's currently around $16 for a G&T plus service so pricing is on the whole very similar. We decided last night the US is slightly cheaper than the UK for food and drink until you add tax and service.
Cave Nil Vino

Kalen Braley

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
It's currently around $16 for a G&T plus service so pricing is on the whole very similar. We decided last night the US is slightly cheaper than the UK for food and drink until you add tax and service.

$16 for a Gin and Tonic?  Holy hell my man, that must come served in a very large glass!!   ;D

Seriously though, I guess I missed it, what is G&T in the context you used it?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
Gin and tonic. I do not mean the pints of G&T at PV either.
Cave Nil Vino

David_Elvins

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
It doesn't really matter whether Australia's fish and chips are better or worse than Britain's.  Because in Australia there are many other foods to choose from if you don't like the fish and chips. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2011, 01:46:07 AM »
Pure Gold Dave! ;D
but you can also get a curry...
@theflatsticker

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2011, 04:00:58 AM »
Dave,
Your witticism certainly supplies a taste of Australia....or should that be Australians!

'n Brett,

I cooked a huge curry for my numerous siblings when back in Dundee a couple of months ago. They all smacked their lips and said "Lubberly, jubberly" which left me proud but under no illusions that my culinary expertise was exceptional....rather that Dundee's curry shops leave a wee bit to be desired. Any Dundonians attempting to come to these outlets defence (Marty Glynn?) have, in my 'umble opinion, never had a decent curry. Strange that Dundee's curries are so bad as its history with the jute industry meant there were legions of Indians and Pakistanis in the environs but they didn't seem to pass on the tricks of the trade.

Cheers Colin

"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Paul Jones

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
Is it possible to do a day trip from Melbourne to Sydney for 1 round of golf at New South Wales? 

Has anyone done this before and is it worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »
Paul,
Absolutely possible, I did a day trip a couple of years ago with a mate to La Perouse. Even had time for a nice lunch.
Club is pretty close to the airport. Maybe 15-20 mins, sydney-ites can confirm that.

Whether or not you should will depend on the 36 you are giving up in Melb.
Can't recall if you heading down to Barnbougle, but a day trip down there with Vortex Air (36holes) would be better than Syd IMHO,
Cheers
Brett
@theflatsticker

Scott Warren

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
Absolutely do-able. Airport to NSWGC is as close as or closer than Brett said.

IMO it's worth giving up some more of Melbourne because you're getting something completely unlike what's in Melbourne. As far as experiencing great variety, it's worth doing. Plus, it's a brilliant golf course in an all-world setting.

David_Elvins

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »
It would be a big day, but you could do The Lakes and NSW as a day trip.  Would be worth the extra effort to see the lakes on the same day. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back