News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

restoration/alteration in the making ?

A short while ago, I read a restaurant review in the Sunday New York Times about a Chinese Restaurant in Wayne, NJ.

On the following Monday night, I had to take my family on an errand about a half hour from my house.

On our return, we were trying to decide where to have dinner and I thought about the review I read the previous day.
So, we drove to the restaurant.
I walked into the restaurant and heard someone call my name.
It turns out it's a golfing friend who won the MGA Sr Am who went to college with me.
We chatted for about 15 minutes about golf and his pending trip to Scotland.

Then, we sat down in a booth.

Shortly thereafter, a fellow sat in the booth next to us.  Then another fellow joined him, then another and finally a forth.

As I sat ordering and eating my dinner, I wasn't eavesdropping, but, I couldn't help but hear these fellows discussiong golf courses.

After a while, it seemed that one of the fellows was a superintendent, another a developer, another an architect and another a financial guy.

In between my sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, water chestnuts and snow peas, I kept hearing the name "Tillinghast", over and over and over again.

So, I'm thinking, AWT, Wayne, NJ = Forest Hills, Somerset Hills, Shackamaxon, Suburban, and maybe a few others not far away.
There is Ridgewood, Alpine and Baltusrol.

Could it be that one or more of these courses are about to embark upon an architectural project ?

I would have stayed longer, but, my son had alot of homework that night.

Joe Bausch

Re: The New York Times/Chinese architectural connection, or a secret
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
Ancient Mucci secret.

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Patrick

Are you familiar with the writings of Carl Jung?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
A meaningful coincidence? Perhaps. Is the New York Times restaurant critic a member of Somerset Hills?

Patrick - too bad you weren't eavesdropping, imagine what you would've heard it you were!  :D

David_Elvins

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
Not that I would suggest that Patrick would ever make anything up......BUT.....

would a restaurant reviewed in the New York Times really serve sweet and sour chicken and fried rice?

and would Mr Mucci really order a dish from the menu?   ;D
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »
The NJ grapevine is on overload! Rumors of a Mucci siting among the cognoscenti of local golf are a flying around these parts.

The story I'm hearing is that Pat's lovely bride was doing most of the listening (as Pat was doing most of the talking ;) ) and that his son was taking copious notes. This part was confirmed. Pat supposedly recognized the former Met Sr Am winner only after he was allowed to run his hand over the guy's face. allowing for a braille-like means of identifying ideal maintenance meld.

Said developer, architect (clearly lost on this coast!), superintendent, and financier were thought to be discussing how to finance a takeover of the Tillinghast society, then planning to restore all the original template holes to the likes of all of AWT's works in the area.

Snippets were said to include hiring the team of Moriarity, MacWood, Morrissett, and Cirba to craft "the definitive" story of how McDonald (and Tom Doak's long-lost great-grandfather) really did every course everywhere (AWT was little more than a drinking buddy). Out of kindness, they all agreed to share in the future cardiac-infarction prescriptions for  Mr Phil Young and further agreed that Uncle George was finally cured from his perchloroethylene posioning. Now all of this might be debatable as it remained spoken under the haze of too much MSG.

The last part of this tale was a rumored siting of a TRUMP 2012 sticker on the back of the Mucci Hummer. I'm not sure if I believe this as I've got a hard time believing anything could fit on that truck with all it's ugly golden dome emblems!

What does remain absolute and unquestionable is that Pat personally 86'ed the restaurant's supply of green tea (even taking home the spent tea leaves)...something about making ink out of it???

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:48:48 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

Not that I would suggest that Patrick would ever make anything up......BUT.....

would a restaurant reviewed in the New York Times really serve sweet and sour chicken and fried rice?

Yes, it's on the menu

and would Mr Mucci really order a dish from the menu?   ;D

Only under certain circumstances  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
Slapped,

I wouldn't own a hummer and the only decals on my car are two small American flags, one on each front fender.

In addition to hearing AWT's name a few times, I did hear references to redoing a number of holes.  I don't recall hearing anyone mentioning any rerouting, but, just because I didn't hear it doesn't mean that it wasn't discussed.

It appeared that the conversation was in the design phase rather than the construction phase, but I couldn't wattle sure.

What I was wondering was. Would this project be a" theme" type concept ala Old Macdonald. and  Tom Doak's effort, or would any altered or new holes have a disconnect: identity ?

What i wondered was, If the course is an AWT course, how sympathetic will any work be ?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:40 AM »
Pat,

So sorry to spread those nasty rumors about you having gotten a hummer (or something). Sounds to me like your flag-adorned car would be perfect for retrofitting into a Benghazi-Tripoli shuttle!

As for all the AWT talk, you know, better than most, to never let the facts get in he way of a good story. I'm told that while you were face down in the Dan-Dan noodles, the plotters were seeking USGA approval to create this newfangled "theme park" course with the ultimate Rees Jones perimeter-mound fencing, ensuring he'd never be allowed on the property. All of this blasphemous talk must have really roiled your stomach by the time the Kung Pao hit your plate.

I can only speculate what name these heinous plotters sought to title this new found plan, but those in the know did believe they would begin a 5+year process of getting it approved by those humble Philadelphians who used to frequent these parts. Speculation about this was tempered by that fact that such Phillyites had discovered they were all related just two generation ago, and were now facing severe consequences for their lack of depth in their genetic pool.

Last I heard, most of these characters were planning on next meeting and discussing this over a visit to Broadway to see The Book of Mormon...something about divine direction from the likes of Stone and Parker???
 :o
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back