News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Rock hard greens that are slow
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
I played in a tournament over the weekend and the course had greens that did not hold approach shots at all so you had to play short in order to get the ball on the green. I enjoyed that feature. But when putting, the greens were ridiculously slow. Is this a sign of a good green or not? I hit 15 of 18 greens and had 40 putts. Very frustrating to hit that many greens and putt so poorly.
Mr Hurricane

Dan Byrnes

Re: Rock hard greens that are slow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »
My home course is like that this past week.  Despite a week of good weather in a Spring full of rain the greens were very firm, I was told that because they had some issues with the watering system the greens were not being cut as low as normal in case the weather changed and watering would be needed??

Last two and next 8 days are all supposed to rain so now they will be soft and slow:(

Dan

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
This happened a couple of months ago...but it was because the greens were frozen solid!!   ;D

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
I generally don't mind firm & slow -  as long as they stay true.  It makes it easier to make an aggressive stroke. 

Dave- If firm & slow catches on I`m giving you credit for inventing the phrase. ;) You continue to be a trendsetter. ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:47:51 PM »
I generally don't mind firm & slow -  as long as they stay true.  It makes it easier to make an aggressive stroke. 

Firm and slow is okay, but these were firm and bumpy. I have never played greens like this. Plus, these greens were the first ones to shred my golf ball too.
Mr Hurricane

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
In my personal experience, limited to 20 or so rounds, is that this sort of condition is the norm on links courses in Scotland.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
In my personal experience, limited to 20 or so rounds, is that this sort of condition is the norm on links courses in Scotland.

Compared to the average green here in the States, yes, I would agree that most would call the greens there "firm and slow."
H.P.S.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
Yep, on a real links ballmarks are marks of shame and green speeds are as they should be. Reason # 1,562,937 links golf is the highest form of golf.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »
I agree, compared to high end US courses, links greens are firm and slow - sometimes too slow, but generally in what I would call the best parameters between 8-10.  I wish all greens were firm and slow.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:55:53 AM »
Really firm greens should be on the slow side for normal play, particularly if they have any slope... otherwise you would have to play with a marshmallow to keep players from chipping shots back and forth over the green. Ouch!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 06:38:09 AM »
Not sure where you are, but good supers in the southeast are doing this right now (IMO) to get ready for the summer stress.  It is a great way to play golf, I think, especially on greens that have any sort of fall off in the back and that allow run up approaches. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 08:04:14 AM »
Interesting how a greater challenge, like slower greens, can be perceived as bad. It highlights our brain washed minds and our desire to ease the challenge, even though we cherish it, in concept.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »
It was in the Baltimore City Two Man event at Mt Pleasant. The greens in Scotland are firm and slow, but the grass is very consistent. These were grainy, lumpy, hard, and slow. They played differently than I have ever seen them. On Sunday, they were a little faster and more receptive due to rain overnight. Not sure why they were faster though.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Eder

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »
If the fronts are hard as well and you can hit short and have it bound on I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There was a certain tournament director a number of years ago (25-30) who would water short of the green so it would just stick short but if one hit the green it would either bounce over unless you had a lot of spin. It was unfair. All hard and slow is fair in my opinion. I am not a good slow green putter so personally I would struggle but it is a fair set-up in my opinion.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
The fronts were soft too so it was a challenge. I just did not like putting though bumps on slow greens. Slow and true is one thing, but slow and bumpy is something else.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Eder

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
Jim,

Ughhhhh, that is not good. Soft in front AND slow and bumpy, not good. It is so important to just accept what the conditions are (as they are the same for everyone) and focus on executing and then later with friends talking about the conditions. On a positive note, it is still better than no golf at all. I hope you played well in the tournament and above everything else enjoyed yourself!!

Jim

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
75 day 1 and 66 day 2. Not too bad on day 2 when the greens were receptive.
Mr Hurricane

Jim Eder

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
Awesome, congrats, well played!!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

To elaborate.  Personally, I take the course as I find it and try to adapt to the conditions.  I must say that once I figured out what was going on with the links greens, I had no problem.  For the most part the greens did putt quite true.  Mostly I had to adjust my chip and run shots.  When they were bouncing on the green they covered more ground than I first anticipated, but then in the role stage they covered less.

I've got an other idea about Scottish links greens I want to throw out, but I'll do that in a separate post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back