News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Merion - where's the strategy off the tee for the pro?
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »

Another item which seems to be taking on less significance is the official date of any land swap.

It seems to me that the parties in charge, had everything under control, in terms of the land to be used, and that the official dates of the swap is almost irrelevant.

I don't understand why...fr example, if we knew exactly when it was, without doubt, it would likely tell us when the bulk of the initial routing work
was completed. That's important to me in determining if it was before o after they selected the actual land they were going to buy.
Jim,

What gave me this sense was the following

According to others, the Merion Board approved the final plan on April 19th. (they probably approved it, informally, prior to that date)

According to others, they began building the course in April.  Are we in agreement so far ?

Does anyone disagree ?  And if so, how ?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Patrick,

Sure we agree.  At least the committee approved the routing April 6 when CBM was in town.  Probably got shown around.  They had an agreement to complete a golf course with HDC and time was a wasting by this time.  Had to start to seed in September.

Lost in all of this is that there is no discussion of when Pickering was brought on board.  Not sure why, as his contract would have shown up in some minutes somewhere, no?  And, probably informally secured well before the season to make sure that no one else took him off the books for another project.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Terry Lavin

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
This is an epic thread jack.

If The Music Man is on television, do you guys start arguing with Marian, Madam Librarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrian?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike Cirba

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
Jeff,

Tom MacWood mentioned that Pickering worked for Johnson Contractors, of Boston,

In the April 19th, 1911 minutes the Committee, after first thinking they could do the construction inhouse but realizing they are woefully equipped from an infrastructure and equipment perspective, recommends using them.   

The passage is in Wayne and Tom's book, and part of the Wilson Committee report read by Robert Lesley.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
Jeff,

OK, we agree that Merion's board approved the plan/routing/hole deisgn on April 19th and they began construction in earnest immediately thereafter.

But, here's the rub.

They didn't own the land.
So, how could they start construction on land they didn't own.

The land was officially purchased/deeded to them on July 19, 1911.

What I've contended all along is that these fellows were in pretty good control of the land dynamics and could acquire or gerrymander pretty much whatever their needs were or would be.

Hence, I don't think Merion was as confined or trapped in terms of determining a routing.

If CBM suggested acquiring a spit of land to benefit the club/course, I can't see anyone preventing the acquisition from happening.

CBM didn't just make the wrong turn and end up at Merion's front door, he was invited in for a purpose.
And, I think that pupose extended far beyond just feasibility.

These fellows, powerful, influential fellows wanted to build a championship course and to do it they invited the most reknown figure in American Golf to show them how.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

D_Malley

« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
D_Malley,

I'm not saying your source is incorrect re: a new championship tee box on #4 but, for the life of me, I can't envision where it could be without completely interrupting the flow of play on #7 and, possibly, the 3rd green.

50 yards further back would put it squarely in the left rough about 150 yards from the 7th tee box.  Even if the club brought in a couple of big trees to protect it, there's no way anybody on #'s 4 or 7 would tee of until the other was clear.

Actually, I'm not sure I like the idea as it would (I think), then make the second shot a lay-up - how boring.  From the current location, there should be a lot of "do I or don't I?" depending on the tee shot, the lie, the wind and the rough around the green.  Now THAT would be exciting. 

Chip,
next time you are there take a look at this area, because from what i understand this new tee for #4 has already been built. Although there are several trees around the tee that have not been taken out yet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back