News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

John Gosselin:

I've played Merion regularly since 1966 (45 years).  However, I was told years ago that much of the $$$ from the 1950 U.S. Open was spent on a new watering system that, although snap valve, was still the beginning of softer fairways and "longer than the yardage" playing conditions.  Given the source at the time, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I hope I'm still posting on GCA in 2026 so that my own memories will, legitimately, represent 60 years of experience.  Also, I hope I can remember 1966+ in 2026!

Steve Goodwin

Chip -- I have no point of reference since I played Merion for the first time last Wednesday.   Yes, there was some roll in the fairways, though I wouldn't have called them fast.  Some other observations:

1.  First cut of rough was really lush and, for me, penal.  The line between rough and fairway is razor sharp, and a drive 3 feet off the fairway settles down in what I believe is primarily bluegrass rough.   It's only about 3 inches deep but for me but that was usually enough to mean that the next shot was not going to played for the green.  Made several visits to this three inch rough but drew only one lie where I had a chance to get the club face cleanly on the ball.

2.  Some fairways -- notably #11 -- seemed to have been somewhat arbitrarily defined.   Fairway is narrow and the mowline is awfully straight.  This is the one hole where the setup irked me.  I hit a pretty good drive and missed the fairway by a yard.  I tried to force a ball from the rough and made a mess of it.  Had I been playing for a score I would never have gone for the green -- by this point in the round I knew how the rough was playing.   It was like trying to move a ball on the other side of a mattress.   Disappointing not to have a better crack at playing this famous hole.

3.  Greens were slower, far slower, than I expected.   Perfect surfaces, wonderful contours, but a putt of any length had to be slugged.  Championship conditions?

4.  Maybe it was one of them-thar days, but I had an unusual number of horrible lies in bunkers -- one plugged, two downhill, one under the lip.  The plus side:  I hit some excellent bunker shots, usually on the second attempt to get out of the sand!

5.  Re the question of "normal play":  everyone in my group scored significantly higher than usual, and the round took longer.   Part of this was due to the fact that three of us were on an unfamiliar course, and relishing the experience.   But honestly the conditions seemed severe.   If i were in charge of the set up, some of the fairways would be wider (esp those where the landing area is blind) and I'd cut that rough so that players had a fighting chance to get the club on the ball.   

Dan Herrmann

Steve,
I think Mayday hit the nail on the head with post #7.  After a very wet season, we had a stretch of beautiful, dry weather.  That helps with fairway roll, but there' still a LOT of water out there just under the surface..

Rough in Philly is amazingly tough right now.  I've taken to hacking out a 9 iron because it's so succulent.  Greens have been a bit slow because of the weather.  Plus, this is the time of year that bentgrass grows quickest.  And I know that our greens have been healing from deep tine aeration and topdressing.  Slows them down for a bit now, but provides great conditions for our hot, muggy summer.

Kevin Pallier

MM

You raise some valid points. One thing I noticed on my trip through America a few years ago was the overtly narrow fairways at many sites who have hosted US Opens. Many times one could vividly see the obvious intention of the design and the difference between it and the maintenance programs that are in place.

There were parts of Merion that seemed somewhat narrow to me in my viewing of it and coming from a background where I'm used to seeing fairway bunkers adjunct to the cut portions of grass rather than in the rough - I was a little perplexed at times.

ChipOat

Steve Goodwin:

Welcome to 24/7 championship condition!  See my post #8 on this thread as to why, for Merion, I think that, net-net, it's the best way to go.  I guarantee you that not everyone agrees with me on that and, in recent years as I have aged and play less frequently, I see the other side of the argument.  However, for the long term good of the club (i.e. hosting major championships and maintaining its reputation within the world of golf), I believe it's the better alternative.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back