News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

I have just been advised by Lionel Freedman of The World Hickory Golfer- the internet magazine on Hickory of the following

I am pleased to announce that the 7th World Hickory  Open will take place at Craigielaw Golf Club  Aberlady East Lothian on October 10th-11th 2011. Details will shortly be on the World Hickory Open website  www.info@worldhickoryopen.com     
The link for World Hickory Golfer is www.worldhickorygolfer.com    Issue 9 was out at the beginning of May and all issues are archived.
The magazine covers many aspects of golf and is a most interesting read.

Best regards
Lionel Freedman
Chairman of  The World Hickory Open
Editor of World Hickory Golfer.

Trust that some of you many find this of interest and perhaps even make your way to Craigielaw Golf Club on the fateful days of the 10 and 11th of October 2011

Remember you heard it first on GCA.com

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

Why on earth choose to play this at Craigielaw?
Kilspindie just over the wall. Musselburgh ten minutes away. Gullane just around the corner. NORTH FREEKIN BERWICK along the road.
But no, let's play with the auld sticks roond some new-fangled, hoose-ridden, cookie-cuttered, watter-meadie.
Sometimes I wonder...a few moments later I'm okay again.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Melvyn Morrow

Marty

If you have something to say, don't hold back, let it all out - you will feel better for it.  Then you can ask Lionel why

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

Mel,
Baby,
very, very few things in this world perturbate me to the point of annoyance.
One of them - which manifests itself in many of my interests - occurs when two worlds collide. You know, like when an MOR singer tries to 'do' Rock (cringe) or maybe when a politician tries to 'get down with the kids' (eek) or when your dad tries to dance like James Brown at your cousins wedding (aaarrggghhh!).
The thought of some blokes dressed in plus-fours thwacking a guttie around Askernish with Hickories fills me with awe, pride and much emotion. The same thought involving Craigielaw fills me with nothing but vomit, snot and phlegm. (Apologies if anyone is reading this at dinner!)
Where Craigielaw is redolent of titanium, graphite, long-shafts, rangefinders and CARTS(!), Kilspindie is tweed, cardigans, brogues and cloth caps.
Horses for Courses, old boy, Horses for Courses.
As it happens, I will be driving past both venues tomorrow en route to the marvellous NBWL. I'll give them both 'salutes' ;)
bestestest,
F.

RSLivingston_III

Marty,

The big name clubs won't give up their courses to a private event, too much lost tourist dollars.
I tried for NB west in 2000 for the inagural Hickory Grail and learned that lesson.
Happily, Kilspindie stepped up and allowed us the use of their course.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:24:38 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Marty Bonnar

Marty,

The big name clubs won't give up their courses to a private event, too much lost tourist dollars.
I tried for NB west in 2000 for the inagural Hickory Grail and learned that lesson.
Happily, Kilspindie stepped up and allowed us the use of their course.

And, once again, the cosmos was in balance!!!
 ;D
It's just that I can think of at least ten better venues within ten miles of Craigielaw more suited to hosting such a fine event. My dad was a pretty good dancer actually...
F.

Mark Chaplin

Marty - of course there maybe better venues but it's exactly the same on the tours and the Ryder Cup. Would competitors pay £90 a round on top of the other fees to play a more suitable venue. We can criticise everyone but members still have bills to play at their clubs and the world hickory open is hardly likely to bring in extra longterm revenues
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back