News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Lodestone Golf Club, McHenry, MD (Wisp Resort)
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
I just noticed that Golfweek has this course ranked as the #2 best public course in Maryland.  Has anyone played it?  Any insights? 

Chris_Blakely

Re: Lodestone Golf Club, McHenry, MD (Wisp Resort)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
I just noticed that Golfweek has this course ranked as the #2 best public course in Maryland.  Has anyone played it?  Any insights? 

I played the course last fall.  Had the entire course to myself.  It was a very serene experience.  Course is in McHenry, MD and as of right now is part of the Wisp Resort (they have two golf courses - with Club at Wisp being the other).  I believe they want to go private with a ton of real estate around the Lodestone course, but I don't see that happening anytime soon!  They have very few homes built around the course.  Of the courses I have played in Maryland, it is probably my favorite.  I do not believe the course is walkable, I remember a couple of long halls between holes on the back nine.  As to be expected with a course on a mountain, there is a lot of elevation change.  I also, love the exposed rock and rocks they left on many of the holes.  I took a bunch of pictures, I will look and see if I can post some for you.

Chris

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:27:38 PM »
In an effort to avoid the wrath of Irene I headed west this weekend and played Mystic Rock at Nemacolin Woodlands and Lodestone at Wisp. All I can say about Lodestone is WOW! I absolutely loved the course and I think it is the best public access course in Maryland ahead of both Lake Presidential and Bulle Rock. The course is definitely not walkable due to the extreme elevation changes and several substantial treks from green to tee. But who cares, the golf is outstanding. The conditioning was excelent from tee to green (Partially due to a lack of play). The greens were some of the largest (Easily Averaging 10,000+ square feet) I have ever seen and they were very undulated and stimped around  9. In fact now that I have seen the greens I would like to go back and play it again so I know where to hit it.

The design credit goes to Hale Irwin with Todd Schoeder listed as the Architect. I am not familiar with this architect. DOes anyone have any insight?

I would highly recommend that anyone visiting western MD or Morgantown, WV go to Lodestone. You will not be disappointed!

David Cronheim

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:31:47 PM »
It was my understanding (confirmed by the website) the at the course is private. Is that not the case? Are they one of those private clubs with "trial" tee times which makes it essentially public?
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
It was my understanding (confirmed by the website) the at the course is private. Is that not the case? Are they one of those private clubs with "trial" tee times which makes it essentially public?

They want to go private eventually, but they are not private now.  The day I played the course, I was the ONLY one on the course.

Chris

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
David-
The website lists (quite reasonable) 18-hole rates through the end of 2011.

Michael Huber

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »

I played the course last fall.  Had the entire course to myself.  It was a very serene experience.  Course is in McHenry, MD and as of right now is part of the Wisp Resort (they have two golf courses - with Club at Wisp being the other).  I believe they want to go private with a ton of real estate around the Lodestone course, but I don't see that happening anytime soon!  They have very few homes built around the course.  Of the courses I have played in Maryland, it is probably my favorite.  I do not believe the course is walkable, I remember a couple of long halls between holes on the back nine.  As to be expected with a course on a mountain, there is a lot of elevation change.  I also, love the exposed rock and rocks they left on many of the holes.  I took a bunch of pictures, I will look and see if I can post some for you.

Chris

You know, a few weeks ago my dad asked me if I wanted to play some course in Maryland called The Club at Wisp, and I declined based on the prententious name alone.  Was it a good call on my part?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back