News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou_Duran

Re: WAY OT - IN-N-OUT GOES EAST!!
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
Anybody been to the emerging Cook-out chain in NC?  Real good burgers and fries.  Great pricing that includes a 3.99 BBQ plate that can hang against the local places which is amazing.  40 shakes too.

John,

I know you can tumble the numbers with the best, but how can an eatery earn a return on $3.99 a plate?  Unless those shakes are irresistable and double the per person check average.  On the other hand, I have seen the houses of two of CiCi's Pizza founders on a fabulous golf course, and they seem to be doing ok.  BTW, in super-cheap Texas, our better BBQ plates are approaching $10.

I don't get In-N-Out.  Perhaps my expectations were unreasonable after years of hearing TommyN singing its praises, but I thought the hamburgers were average at best and the fries no match for McDonalds.  Talk about a category that's overbuilt.

Heart Attack Grill also opened a store in Dallas yesterday, though, due to "operational issues", it was shut-down shortly afterwards.  It is due to re-open today.  Probably a great place to cap off an afternoon of 5-hour cart golf.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
Lou--

Most Cookout locations do not have indoor seating and they take up very little space, that helps.  Like In-n-Out, Cookout's volume is amazing and lower overhead, so they do quite well despite their seemingly low pricing.  Their burgers and shakes are excellent. 

John Foley

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »
Mark down this western NY as a big fan.

Every time I head to CA or AZ I try to fit in lunch at one. IMHO Five Guys can't hold a candle to them.

My two daughters whole heartedly agree as type this!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Sam Morrow

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
I propose a GCA Outing in North Dallas. Play Old American, The Tribute, and Preston Trail. Between the courses is the In-N-Out in Frisco. Any ties in matches can be broken on the putting green at PGA Tour Superstore.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2011, 12:44:57 PM »
Sam,

You put it together and I'm there.  Add Frisco Lakes and Ridgeview Ranch (I can help there) to the mix for pre and post rounds, Randy White's, Spring Creek, Rudy's for BBQ, and Cristina's and Hacienda Ranch for Tex-Mex, then we're doing some talkin'.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
At least you guys are trying your best to tie this burger fest into something about golf.

My attempt to tie burgers to golf was looking fairly seriously into buying a franchise for "Culvers" in North Platte so I could be close to great golf.  Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure one of founding family members, current CEO is reportedly a member of SHGC and perhaps a few other prairie golf courses out there.  So, we'd share that appreciation for that style of golf.  I even found a perfect available location on HWY 83, mile south of I-80 interchange, very close to the 800 acres I also contemplated/investigated possibilities for another great prairie golf course development site.  But, when I finally got down to the nitty gritty of what the franchiser wanted the prospective franchisee to go through in mandatory training and 'apprenticeship' on the franchisee's own dime, and the literal slave time/hours demanded that the franchisee physically puts into the operation on site duties, and other mandatory operational edicts, I felt it was unreasonable expectations for the potential upside. 

Like some of the other observations, Culvers started out as a local custard and burger stop near Devils Lake in Sauk City WI.  For decades they were a legend.  Their franchise burger is good, but the whole quality aspect is not what the original was.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jud_T

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2011, 01:58:55 PM »
By the way anyone heading through Milwaukee, like the Mashie attendees, would do well to stop off at AJ Bombers or Sobelman's for a burger and a beer (and Kopp's for custard)...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Will MacEwen

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
fresh ground chuck, regular
fresh Kaiser
sliced tomato, onion, pickle
salt and pepper on the patties
a few condiments
Weber kettle with hardwood lump

John Shimp

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
Lou
Adam nailed it on cookout.  Their service and speed for a made to order drive thru is Harvard business school operations 101 good.  They staff really well much like maybe the best fast food place on the planet chik fil a.  You'd be pleased w the 3.99 BBQ plate.  Gotta try it next time in NC.  Out of Greensboro, no franchising, really strong

Sam Morrow

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
Sam,

You put it together and I'm there.  Add Frisco Lakes and Ridgeview Ranch (I can help there) to the mix for pre and post rounds, Randy White's, Spring Creek, Rudy's for BBQ, and Cristina's and Hacienda Ranch for Tex-Mex, then we're doing some talkin'.

I've never played Frisco Lakes but love Ridgeview Ranch. I have Spring Creek and Rudy's close to home down here, the rest of your ideas work for me. Plus a friend told me they just opened a Spearmint Rhino in Dallas, just saying. How do you like Old American?

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Man you guys obsess about hamburgers. 

I travel a lot and the two things I'm always on the lookout for...BBQ...and a kick-ass burger.

But no, we don't obsess.  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Walsh

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »
My one and only visit to In and Out was in January in San Diego. My son became a Marine on January 14 and his only request was to get a lot of burgers after the ceremony from the In and Out near the recruit depot. Of course we complied. We got burger, fries, and drinks for 15 and ate them by the pool at the hotel. 70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Chillaxing with our new Marine. San Diego in January. When we left St. Louis it was 9 F. We were in some kind of heaven.

Have I had a better burger--sure. Is the double double one of the great values for the money--you bet. But the union of family, friends, the sun, In and Out, and San Diego gave me a memory for the rocking chair.

Tom
"vado pro vexillum!"

Tom Yost

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
In-N-Out is a very good burger, but it's hardly the best in the world as many in CA would like you to think. Heck, I think Five Guys is just as good, not to mention 100's of other spots accross the midwest. Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, IL is as good of a char-burger you'll find anywhere, and I'd take that over In-N-Out anyday.

Nobody claims it's the best in the world.

Alex Miller

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2011, 07:19:51 PM »
In-n-Out is the best franchised drive-thru burger joint.

@claimed
 ;D

Tom Yost

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »
Big Kahuna Burger.  Now that's a tasty burger!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
Alex,

In-N-Out is NOT a franchise:

http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

It is THE best drive in free standing chain, national or semi-national , burger joint.

Eveyone else,

Of course there are better burgers in many restaurants across the country but you can't compare apples to oranges, as the saying goes. Just last week I spent $16 for one of the better burgers I've ever had at :

http://www.parc-restaurant.com/

As far as bbq goes, the best I've ever had is at:

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:40:22 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
My one and only visit to In and Out was in January in San Diego. My son became a Marine on January 14 and his only request was to get a lot of burgers after the ceremony from the In and Out near the recruit depot. Of course we complied. We got burger, fries, and drinks for 15 and ate them by the pool at the hotel. 70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. Chillaxing with our new Marine. San Diego in January. When we left St. Louis it was 9 F. We were in some kind of heaven.

Have I had a better burger--sure. Is the double double one of the great values for the money--you bet. But the union of family, friends, the sun, In and Out, and San Diego gave me a memory for the rocking chair.

Tom

THAT is a great post.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Kelly

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
I would bet that I am at least in the top 3 on GCA for most In-n-Out burgers eaten career but even I know that there are a lot of places that you can get a better hamburger.  But I doubt that you can get a better value or more consistent cheeseburger for under $4.00 than the Double-Double at In-N-Out
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2011, 09:32:08 PM »

Tom

I agree with Joe.  Nice post.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »
How 'bout a nice greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?

Now you're talkin' serious business. Anyone can do a burger at home better than what you get in them burger places.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

DMoriarty

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
I would bet that I am at least in the top 3 on GCA for most In-n-Out burgers eaten career but even I know that there are a lot of places that you can get a better hamburger.  But I doubt that you can get a better value or more consistent cheeseburger for under $4.00 than the Double-Double at In-N-Out

Only top 3?   Hmmm . . . You are talking about current GCA members, right? 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jon Heise

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »
Pat,
I love the atmosphere at Kuma's, but the burgers are better at DMK

Jud,

I actually haven't been to DMK yet, but after quite a few endorsements I'll have to give it a try!!!

Hey you Chicago Burger-eaters, where and what is this DMK you speak of?  I've heard of Kuma's.  As a guy new to town, it's high on my burger-list...
I still like Greywalls better.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:48 PM »
Alex,

In-N-Out is NOT a franchise:

http://www.in-n-out.com/history.asp

It is THE best drive in free standing chain, national or semi-national , burger joint.

Eveyone else,

Of course there are better burgers in many restaurants across the country but you can't compare apples to oranges, as the saying goes.

Fair enough Steve, good point.  RR is then excluded.

But is Sonic considered drive-in?  Cause the Sonic burgers I've had are way better than In-N-Out.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
Sonic recently entered the Philly market. I haven't developed a large enough sample of their product to compare them with In-N-Out
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Seitz

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2011, 09:57:11 AM »

Hey you Chicago Burger-eaters, where and what is this DMK you speak of?  I've heard of Kuma's.  As a guy new to town, it's high on my burger-list...

DMK is on Sheffield just barely south of Wellington, right off the Wellington brown line stop.  It's probably a 5-10 minute walk from my apartment.  The food is very good, but I don't remember it being mind-blowing, maybe because I had high expectations.  Good variety of offerings, excellent beer list.  I hear it can be tough to get into, but it's been open for a year, so maybe it's getting easier.  The only time I've been was at about 9:00 on a Sunday night when my brother was visiting from Anchorage.  The same owners just opened a seafood restaurant next door called "Fish Bar" I think. 

I've heard good things about the Urban Burger Bar as well, but I haven't been there yet.  Same general concept as DMK.  High end gourmet burgers and a good selection of craft beer.  It's on Clybourn just south of North Avenue, by the North/Clybourn red line stop.
http://burgerbarchicago.com/

With regard to In-N-Out, one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the high praise they've received for the way they operate their business.  Employees earn quite a bit more than minimum wage from the day they start, and according to Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation", managers can earn close to or into six figures. That appears to be backed up at the link below.   I know from several people that it's a great place to work.  It tends to show in their customer service as well.  I've never had an In-N-Out experience where the employees weren't friendly, and I can't ever recall receiving something other than exactly what I ordered. 
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-In-N-Out-Burgers-RVW209477.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back