News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: WAY OT - IN-N-OUT GOES EAST!!
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
In-N-Out is a cool place, and I love that you can see the potatoes being peeled, and I also love their miniscule menu.

Part of its attraction is that you can only get it in certain parts of the country.  It's the same pull that Juengling beer has (it's tasty, but its limited geographic availability is part of its draw.  Coors used to have this advantage as well, but no longer obviously).

I'm a vegetarian so I cannot comment on the quality of the burgers.  I do like In-N-Out's milkshakes.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
I'm partial to Sonic...anyone else wish there was one in NYC?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brent Carlson

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
In-N-Out all the way!  I always thought that part of their brand was California "cool".  Heading to Utah and Texas takes away some of that.  They are darn good burgers.

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
pat,

In-n-out is way better than 5 guys...but neither can hold a candle to DMK....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
In-N-Out is a very good burger, but it's hardly the best in the world as many in CA would like you to think. Heck, I think Five Guys is just as good, not to mention 100's of other spots accross the midwest. Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, IL is as good of a char-burger you'll find anywhere, and I'd take that over In-N-Out anyday.

You're on drugs.  Five Guys is good.  In-N-Out is in a class by itself in terms of large chain fast-food burgers.  If they opened an In-N-Out across the street from the Five Guys on Clybourn, Five Guys would last about as long as the establishment next door that has now been five different bars in the last eight years.  

As for Paradise Pup, I'm sure it's great, but t's not really fair to compare the chains to mom-n-pop burger stands.  In-N-Out has the reputation it does because it has combined the consistency of McDonalds with the quality of mom-n-pop.  DMK Burger Bar may make a better burger than In-N-Out (though I'm not convinced), but they're not really in the same class of establishment.  

In & Out is by far the best burger and fries for any chain. Here in Sacramento they opened a Five Guys down the street from an In & Out and the FiveGuys is empty and going out of business while the In & Out is lined up outside the parking lot. I tried FiveGuys and besides being twice the price of In &Out the FiveGuys burger had no taste and the fries were the worst I have had anywhere. It was so bad I sent a complaint on the internet to FiveGuys and I got a call back from the manager offering to buy me another lunch and that was three months ago, I still haven't been back.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:24 PM »
Add me to the list of those who don't get the IN-N-OUT phenomenon. I've tried it several times when living in cali and at best it was only a small step above McDs or BK.

Utah has a 5 guys and I was a "one and done"

For an actual good burger, Red Robin is the spot for me.

Red Robin-High grade dog food. They have to give you all you can eat fries just to sucker you into this place. The one time I went there even my 12 year old son(a number of years ago)said "Dad this place sucks". Come on Kalen-you need to get out more. ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 06:15:40 PM »
Add me to the list of those who don't get the IN-N-OUT phenomenon. I've tried it several times when living in cali and at best it was only a small step above McDs or BK.

Utah has a 5 guys and I was a "one and done"

For an actual good burger, Red Robin is the spot for me.

Red Robin-High grade dog food. They have to give you all you can eat fries just to sucker you into this place. The one time I went there even my 12 year old son(a number of years ago)said "Dad this place sucks". Come on Kalen-you need to get out more. ;D

I would agree their prices are a bit high for a burger, but there is no competition between RR and the other chains I've seen listed on this thread.

Most times I go to a RR, its packed!   

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
One reason why I like Arizona is the presence of In-N-Out in the PHX area.

Not only are the Double Doubles top drawer, but the ambiance can't be beat.

Five Guys quality varies from location to location.

Smashburger is an up and comer.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Fuddruckers either...

But I would go here in a heart beat over an In-N-Out

http://www.fuddruckers.com/

David Kelly

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »
Man you guys obsess about hamburgers. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
pat,

Jud - have you been to Kumas??
H.P.S.

Sean Leary

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
I am with Kalen. Here in WA its quite good.

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »
Pat,
I love the atmosphere at Kuma's, but the burgers are better at DMK

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
In-N-Out is a very good burger, but it's hardly the best in the world as many in CA would like you to think. Heck, I think Five Guys is just as good, not to mention 100's of other spots accross the midwest. Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, IL is as good of a char-burger you'll find anywhere, and I'd take that over In-N-Out anyday.

You're on drugs.  Five Guys is good.  In-N-Out is in a class by itself in terms of large chain fast-food burgers.  If they opened an In-N-Out across the street from the Five Guys on Clybourn, Five Guys would last about as long as the establishment next door that has now been five different bars in the last eight years.  

As for Paradise Pup, I'm sure it's great, but t's not really fair to compare the chains to mom-n-pop burger stands.  In-N-Out has the reputation it does because it has combined the consistency of McDonalds with the quality of mom-n-pop.  DMK Burger Bar may make a better burger than In-N-Out (though I'm not convinced), but they're not really in the same class of establishment.  

In & Out is by far the best burger and fries for any chain. Here in Sacramento they opened a Five Guys down the street from an In & Out and the FiveGuys is empty and going out of business while the In & Out is lined up outside the parking lot. I tried FiveGuys and besides being twice the price of In &Out the FiveGuys burger had no taste and the fries were the worst I have had anywhere. It was so bad I sent a complaint on the internet to FiveGuys and I got a call back from the manager offering to buy me another lunch and that was three months ago, I still haven't been back.

Even though I'm a Midwest guy...I'm siding with the left-coaster...In-N-Out blows away Five Guys.

PAT...had the great pleasure of experiencing a Paradise Pup cheddar burger, 3-layer fries and a milkshake back in February, and it totally rocked!  For a mom & pop spot it was dead on.

Here in The Clev we have a small spot called Brown Bag Burgers that looks like a fast food chain, but their burgers are all quality.  Love finding those types of spots.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
pat,

Jud - have you been to Kumas??

Another vote for Kumas...had the Led Zeppelin (and not just because they were my favorite band in high school)!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Joe Grasty

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
Ironically, my son, who is in his senior year in high school, decided to go to the opening of In-N-Out in Frisco on Wednesday.  He got there around 4PM and got home at 7PM with a double-double for deal ol' Dad.  My hero!

Jud_T

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:14 PM »
Paradise Pup is right by my old office. We used to go there regularly and it definitely rocks. Try the grilled chicken sandwich with BBQ and hot peppers next time.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
Perhaps the quality and taste of In-N-Out varies by location, but the last two times I was in California, I wasn't very impressed. (One time in Lawndale, can't remember where the other was.)  

I much prefer Five Guys, and not because it started here.  

Agree, with 2 caveats:

1) It's cliche, but 5 guys has gone downhill since it franchised.

2) As little as I have burgers, I almost always go to, e.g., Ray's Hell or BGR (or if I can spring it money and time wise, Central or Palena Cafe).  There's no competition between steakhouse-quality burgers such as at RH and chain burgers, even 5G/InO.  I realize this may change when my litter begins.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:01:20 PM by Justin Sadowsky »

PCCraig

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »
Pat,
I love the atmosphere at Kuma's, but the burgers are better at DMK

Jud,

I actually haven't been to DMK yet, but after quite a few endorsements I'll have to give it a try!!!
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
The one that opened in Frisco is about 5 minutes from my house.  Anxious to try it out in a few weeks, when I don't have to wait so long.  For fast food burgers, we have Whataburger here in Texas, and it is a damn fine fast food burger.

Sam,

What did you think of Old American.  I have played it 3 times (the last two weeks ago).  While it is still rough around the edges, I like it quite a bit.  Thoughts?

The course was very cool. It is rough around the edges but I am interested in seeing it mature. I am not 100% convinced though that their business plan is going to work. I did hit it into every centerline bunker though.

Alex Miller

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »
The fact that 5 guys and in-n-out are even being debated so evenly proves that in-n-out has the best burgers for your money.

Jud_T

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
I think there must be something about the franchising, and it proves In-N-Out right to be so cautious about how they grow.  I've only been to 2 Five guys, one was in the St. Louis airport, and frankly I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:28:56 AM by Jud Tigerman »

John Shimp

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2011, 08:39:06 AM »
Anybody been to the emerging Cook-out chain in NC?  Real good burgers and fries.  Great pricing that includes a 3.99 BBQ plate that can hang against the local places which is amazing.  40 shakes too.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
Has anybody checked out "Elevation Burger"?  It's supposedly a fairly new "upscale" version of Five Guys/In-n-Out.

PS - If you're in PHX, check out Ted's in Tempe.  It's  a Buffalo chain that specializes in hot dogs, but also has great burgers.  For my money, Ted's is the BEST fast food in the USA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back