News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: KJ's approach on 16 Sunday at The Players
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »
Kalen -

1/3rd? Really? That many? ;D

You caught me on a "off" weekend, the weekend we played!   ;)

I played Indian Canyon Sunday, hit 5 of 14 fairways...that's just above 1/3.  Sadly, even though I had 6 pars, I still only managed to shoot a 94.  :'(

Lou_Duran

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
That tree on the 16th at the TPC (and all the rest of them) would not be there if Pete Dye had not figured out how to lower the water table of the entire site by enough to preserve the trees between the holes.  Otherwise, the whole place would look like Doral.

Of course, most other architects wouldn't know the foggiest thing about how to do that, either.

Tom,

Under current environmental restrictions, could the water table been tampered with and the TPC built?

I'm sure that you meant to put several emoticons after your last sentence, otherwise that's a rather mean and unnecessart thing to say about your colleagues, don't you think?  I would bet the opposite, that they would, in part because great folks like Pete Dye have demonstrated how to do it.  And I wonder how PD came to his knowledge/ability himself.

As to the re:, the tree is perfect there, particularly for the STRATEGY types, and Choi is a shot-making genius.  But truth be told, all those guys are; they just play the percentages by going with their strengths.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
Lers not forget Schwartzel's on one at Augusta. That's two.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
Forgot to mention that Daves reaction is to be expected since NOBODY plays the ground game. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George_Bahto

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »
TPC Sawgrass is one of my all time favorite courses and I have had the pleasure of playing it 5 times over the years.

The tree on 16 could not be positioned much better than it is - it really makes the hole and confounds all level of players: the second shot for the pros and often the third shot of the rest of us humans. After a good drive I usually have to hit a knock down shot of sorts under the limbs. ..... and you have the water left and behind. Great golf hole.

KJ’s shot was super creative and one we don’t see the pros play very often.

16-TREE is my favorite tree in golf (did I really say that?) - coming in ahead of the dead-“snag” tree on the 3rd at Old Macdonald.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Brock Peyer

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »
Great shot, congrats to KJ.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back