News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

In ca.1916 the MacGregor Co., then known as Crawford McGregor & Canby, built a golf course for its employees. Actually, the employees built it with some limited funds provided by CMc&C.

Spalding's has it listed in 1917:

It looked pretty wild in this photo...

...with interesting topography, as seen here...

and here (sharper photo in the article):

An article about the course (Printer's Ink Monthly Vol. 3) and its construction. It mentions that 'experts' were consulted, but no mention of who:

Sometime in the 1930s (I think), Dayton Power and Light Co. ended up with the course and used it for their employees. I don't know when they gave it up, but it looks like this today:

A sidebar to the story is that the names MacGregor and McGregor were both used to identify the company and its products. It was eventually changed to Mac in the '40s, but there are several mentions of the co. not wanting to be seen as Irish. This blurb from the AntiqueGolfScotland  site pretty much sums it up:

Before starting to make golf clubs they had spent over 60 years producing shoe lasts as the Crawford, McGregor & Canby Co. (The partner spelled his name Mc but the brand was MacGregor - no, I don't know either, but it was suggested that they felt this was more Scottish, Mc having an Irish connotation. The distinction is nonsense but it is a quite widespread misapprehension even among Scots).

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ed Brzezowski

Great post, now I know a bit more about the name on some hickory shafts.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

noonan

This closed in the early 90's. It is where the DP&L corporate offices are. It is still named MacGregor Park.

You can still see a couple of the holes from Woodman Dr. and SR 35. Woodman borders on the east and 35 on the south.

Jim_Kennedy

Ed,
Here's a bit more:
http://www.miamivalleygolf.org/home-mvgolf/people/historical/macgregor-in-our-area-3374.html

Jerry,
Thanks. I was surprised to find that the site wasn't too overgrown, now I know why.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back