News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Patrick Kiser

Re: Save Sharp Park Video
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:44:54 AM »
David,

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:35 AM »
David,
Thanks for sharing the video.  As someone who lives in the Bay Area and works in the golf business, I have been keeping up with the Sharp Park and Lincoln Park sagas for quite some time.  I applaud Bo Links and the SF Public Golf Alliance for their work in supporting public golf in San Francisco.  The history and tradition of public golf in San Francisco goes far beyond Harding Park and the recent Presidents Cup.  It is courses like Sharp and Lincoln, as well as places like Gleneagles and Golden Gate Park, that keep the spirit of golf in The City alive.  Just because the city of San Francisco has managed their golf courses so poorly doesn't mean that these civic treasures have to be on the endangered list.  I hope that other people who love golf realize what is at stake for the future of golf in San Francisco. 

Sean_Tully

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:42:59 AM »
http://pacifica.patch.com/articles/video-golfers-host-fundraiser-to-save-sharp-park#video-5835216

Had a good time at Sharp Park and gave my first impromptu interview!

Missed you this time David but I did say hi to your wife.

Tully
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:44:37 AM by Sean_Tully »

John Keenan

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
David

Thanks for posting this. As a native son of San Francisco (taken from Bo line but also true in my case) I support the work that Bo Links  and team are doing to save Sharp Park. Sadly due to a business commitment I was unable to attend the event. Thanks to all who went and supported this great event. Please keep us updated on future events.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:58:07 PM »
I hope that other people who love golf realize what is at stake for the future of golf in San Francisco. 

I don't think many do.  This could be the start of many battles between golf and environmentalists and it's going to be a real battle in Federal court.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
Although I applaud a lot of what's being done to help the Sharp Park and Lincoln causes ... I have genuine concerns in having the right people involved for any "preservation" or "restoration".

I might stir the pot here, but ...

... If I'm not mistaken or unless something has changed, the "endorsed" RTJ II team that would be involved to potentially bring back Sharp has less than zero knowledge and experience on anything MacKenzie.  So how would such a team be in the best position to "preserve" or "restore" Sharp Park?

Hopefully I'm wrong on this, but the question certainly has crossed my mind.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
Patrick K. -

My personal feeling is at least 90% of the battle is saving Sharp Park as an affordable & satisfying public golf course. Whether it is a "faithful" recreation/restoration of a Mackenzie-ish golf course will be the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

My understanding is Jay Blasi from the RT Jones II office in Palo Alto has had some input into the possible options for restoring the course. He is a bright guy who was involved with both the design of the practice ground at Stanford (which includes a Mackenzie-style  green w/bunkering) and Chambers Bay.

DT

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »
I agree with what David said about saving Sharp Park being the real battle being waged.  Certainly a restoration would be a wonderful thing, but to think that it would even come close to the original MacKenzie design would be a pipe dream.  Improving the condition of the golf course would probably help as much as anything right now, and if it means the RTJ II group doing it then so be it.  I understand Patrick's point as well, but any improvement without taking away what is left of the design would be a step in the right direction.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
RTJII is doing it for free.  Furthermore, it was politically helpful that they are local.  As far as I know, Jones himself has not been on the property and probably never will.  Jay Blasi is doing all the work.

There are still many varations on what the routing may be?  This appears it will be settled in Federal Court. 

Joshua Paul

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 02:06:42 AM »
I commend this effort; this course needs to be saved! There are already so few public courses of any substance in SF and on the Peninsula. We need to keep what we can.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back