News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Return of the Classics ...
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »
Yesterday I was in Hershey for the PGA kick-off media announcement on the forthcoming National Club Pro event which will be played at the end of June and which will use both courses at the facility with one round on the McCarthy-designed West Course and three (3) rounds on the George Fazio-designed East Course.

Mike Small, the defender, said it best -- just good to return to a classic designed layout. The East is one of GF's best designs and the uphill approach shots will be quite vexing for many in the field.

Later this same year a reliable past venue for the PGA Tour will see a return to duty when Westchester CC hosts The Constellation Sr. Player's Championship. The Travis designed West-Course always did well when hosting the big boys for so many years. So many fun and interesting holes -- the rolling nature of the property just offers a comprehesive set of holes and the roster of past champions there clearly validates its standing -- incidentally, the late Seve B won twice there -- the final win in '88 was memorable from a four-man playoff involving The Shark, Ken Green and David Frost.

Both facilities have slipped from the radar screen but it's good to see that they still have a place at the table for top tier golf competition.

Ben Kodadek

Re: Return of the Classics ...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »
Matt,

I was really hoping that you were talking Footjoy.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
Mike Small, the second most interesting golfer from Illinois, must have forgotten winning last year while playing the Ross course at French Lick.  I believe those scores counted and played havoc with the field.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
You had me rolling with that line ! ;D

Just happy to see that classic venues are still being considered and used.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
I'm always happy to see Westchester get an event. Always been one of the more interesting courses on tour.

The Champ tour these days seems willing to go to places the regular tour doesn't anymore.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »
Ben,

I thought the same thing.  In any event HCC will be a good venue for this event.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »
I'm always happy to see Westchester get an event. Always been one of the more interesting courses on tour.

The Champ tour these days seems willing to go to places the regular tour doesn't anymore.

I missed going to Westchester CC the last couple of years for the "Classic". A great old Travis layout that the pros seemed to love that had one of the great ranges long before great ranges were in vogue. The homes and neighborhoods that border the club are very similar to Merion. I thought that the regular tour had some type of commitment to return at some point or get involved in a rotation.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Tim:

The Barclays will return to Westchester CC one more time at least.

It appears the membership really got tired of the intrusive nature of the event but I'm happy to see it once again be front and center -- albeit with a senior event.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back