News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Campanelli

Re: Wanumetonomy G&CC | Photo Tour & Descriptions (Middletown, RI)
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
George, thanks for commenting.  I figured it would only be a matter of time before you found this thread.  I've heard you're a big fan of #12.
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Travis Dewire

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
GREAT!!!

Such a hard course, yet the scorecard reads easy. 17 is brutal to close out, 16 the only par 5 (have scored an eagle once!). I especially love the view coming down 11. The walk up to the green really engages the ocean view and it almost tricks the eye into feeling like you are on a bluff. 10 green is crazy, so is 4th. The double plateu at 15 is very difficult as well, 8 a challenge too. 5 must have been a challenge with the wind!

Love this course, glad you got to enjoy it!!!! What did you the think of the old graveyard behind the 11th tee box!! What a view!!!!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
This course provides about as much fun as one could want with Narragansett Bay as a backdrop and a great routing on only 125 acres. There is no mistaking the greens and surrounds for Raynor`s work. A particular favorite was the # 12 "Eden" hole with its tilted green with a spine running through the entire length making any putt that crosses it a supreme challenge. The par four 11th provides an elevated tee shot with the bay framing the hole and fairway bunkers that narrow the landing area. The green is guarded by two bunkers that will provide plenty of challenge to a green sloping back to front. Solid bunker play and the ability to hit the "dairy queen" wedge are a must to post a score and as Travis Dewire already stated forget the yardage on the card and buckle up. This is a course I would never tire of.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:52:53 PM by Tim Martin »

Tim Martin

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
Nick,

Thanks for the detailed photo tour; I appreciate the work it takes to show all the angles like you did. I certainly recognise the Raynor par 3's: the Short, the Eden and the Redan. The Double Plateau is the only other Raynor that is easy to recognise. I'm curious, why doesn't the Club print the Raynor names of the holes on the scorecard?

Pete-Nick Campanelli is in the same league as Joe Bausch as far as his ability to play quickly, shoot all the right angles and highlight the most important features on each hole. As with Joe you don`t really pick up on their method of covering everything until you see the finished product. Well done Nick.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Great day despite the wind.   Best decision was not to keep score.  Tremendous green surrounds and greens were in great shape for early in the year.  17 played as a tremendous short par 4 into the wind  :)

Company was great and especially want to thank Mat for his graciousness and hospitality.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 05:09:53 AM »
Nick

Cheers!  I really enjoyed the tour.  I usually skip intros to tours then go back after looking at pix.  My thoughts as I looked at the pix were that the greens look very Raynorish so I am learning - yahoo!  There look to be a lot of very good shots out there and when the ground gets firm the course must be all that one handle.  Who would have thought, two good looking courses I never heard of profiled on this site within days of each other. Thanks again!

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:18:31 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Travis Dewire

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »
What a day today at Wanu!!!

Course playing a littler easier today I think, lol. Greens still pretty firm, got to give the ball some room to release a bit. Quite windy as well. Snuck birds on 6 and 16, 10 putts on the back nine!

Love this course. Glad you guys got to go out and play it, and the photos do look great. The 11th tee gets me every time!!!

hick

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
Travis, Glad you had a great round as the weather was awesome . Will you be playing Newport CC today. May stop by and watch some action if time allows.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »
No, but my closest golf friend from growing up is teeing it up!!! What a treat for a local qualifier!!!

Going 2 Taconic right now!!!!

Mat are you a member at wanu? My closest friend and biz partner is, and we play there about twice a month, lets meet up for a round!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
Must be nice in the summer getting the breeze from the water. Those greens and bunkers looked wicked hard to use the local language!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »
Must be nice in the summer getting the breeze from the water. Those greens and bunkers looked wicked hard to use the local language!

Tim-Although Wanu is not on the scale of Yale or Fishers Island the greens and bunkering are pure Raynor and just fantastic. If you short side yourself you are going to have your work cut out for you. Everything about this place is a winner including their cheeseburger. Run don`t walk if you get the chance to play.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
This is again why I like this site.

Lots of cool photos about a cool course that I would have never otherwise heard of.

Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back