News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: THE TOP 100 OF SCOTLAND (Latest Golf World List)
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
Mark P:

13 at HCEG is as good a par 3 as I've played in Scotland.  Or anywhere else

At least for the next week...

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »
Actually I meant to type awesome and typed great so I concurr.

I will ammend forthwith.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »
I would like to take this opportunity to personally congratulate Donald Steel and the Links Trust for running The Eden Course clear off the list!  Well done.  What did that Colt and Mackenzie guy ever do anyway?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Simon Holt

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2011, 03:40:23 PM »
Michael,

Even with his work- it should still be on the list!

S
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
Bogey, Simon,

It is.  Number 67.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I read the list twice before posting.  I apologize to Mr. Steel and the Gentlemen of the Links Trust. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim McCann

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2011, 06:12:56 PM »
Adrian

I've got a couple of Beckenham Pocket Guide books to Golf Courses in Ireland and Spain & Portugal where the
authors - William fforde, Greg Turner and Peter Millhouse - use colour coding to summarize courses.

Gold signifies "a hole worth playing the whole course for," green is for a strong hole, yellow for average and red
for a weak hole.

I think it's a very effective, concise way to visually summarize a course quickly though, strangely, I've just opened
the Irish book at a random page and it shows County Sligo with sixteen holes coloured in green, the par three
4th hole coloured gold (I didn't think much of it) and the doglegged 17th (one of my favourites in all of Ireland)
coloured yellow as the panel view this one as the "one blemish" on the course!

Still, it's all about opinions and these two wee books are great for jogging the memory.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
Mark P:

13 at HCEG is as good a par 3 as I've played in Scotland.  Or anywhere else

At least for the next week...

;D ;D ;D
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »
Adrian I'm confused that the blind 5th at Prestwick is crap and the blind 17th in awesome. Obviously it is your opinion but I'd be interested to hear any rationale should you wish to share it.
Cave Nil Vino

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2011, 02:38:15 AM »
Mark & Bill - I did expect my chant on 5 and 15 to cause some pecks. Firstly 15 is a wild hole and very narrow, it is too narrow IMO and too tight to the rest of the holes, the green is damm near impossible....its been there for years of course and if I was King at Prestwick would I take it away, probably not, although I would look to create two new 500 yarders north of 10 and ommitt 14 and 15 in a championship routing inorder to bring the OPEN back....I can see how many would like this 15th hole and the opinion  range could be from 2/10 to 10/10 but as a golf hole its too wild for me. 5 is similar, I just dont get the greatness in the bang over the hill in 2011 thn when you get o'er the hill you got the airport as the backdrop. 17 though I do like, it has more indicators going on in the back drop and lot more to watch out for, its a shorter iron rather a longer club. Overall I am a big lover of Prestwick.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back