News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bosela

Bethpage Black Advice
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
I'm heading through NY State from Canada on a bit of a road trip for a charity outing in a couple weeks and was planning to stop at Bethpage at some point, with hopes of playing the Black course for the first time.

I have a couple of questions for the experts, since I know how difficult it usually is to book a game on the Black, especially for one that lives out of state (and in my case, out of country!).

1. As a single, is it best for me to just show up early in the morning one day and ask the starter/pro shop to put me out with the first available threesome?  Or, do I have to call ahead of time to book myself in with another group?

2. Since this might be my only crack at the place, do I try to play two rounds on the Black in one day or is it worth the effort to try to play one of the other courses on site?  If so, which of the other courses is considered the must-play?

If there are any other hints or tips you can provide about the facility, I'd very much appreciate it!

Many thanks!

PCCraig

Re: Bethpage Black Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
Matt:

I would just show up that morning and ask to be put out with the first available open slot. I don't believe they take reservations for singles... Your chances of getting out go up greatly if it's during a weekday.

If you get out early enough, you could put your name back on the list to get back out on the Black. If that doesn't work out I would play the Red, which is very good too. Those are the only two courses I've played on the property.
H.P.S.

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
Matt, I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think you will have too much trouble getting on the course.

Just make sure you get there pretty early so that you can get a number (~5AM). If you go on a weekday, you can probably show up later and still get on. The only problem you wil have is that if you don't get one of the first tee times available in the morning, your tee time could be pretty much any time during the day, so you could be in for some wait.

Prepare yourself mentally for a 5+ hour round.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
You've gotten good advice Matt.  As a single, it should not be hard to get out, especially if you show up very early and get in the line behind all those that slept in their cars.  Many of those 'sleepers' will not be a foursome.  Once they are all checked in, you can look at the tote board to find a slot.  I'll bet you can get out by 8 AM.

And if you have a 2nd round to play that day, I'd also recommend the Red course.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
I have had a little different experience.

I've tried twice to get out as a single. Both times I showed up mid week once @ 830 then next time @ 7. Both times I was told the only way to get on was to watch the tote board - inside for when a single opens up first person to the window would grab it. Both times after watching nothing opened up after 2 hours so I bailed.

Not sure if I'm the exception or just picked days that we're packed w. 4 somes.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
Matt, I think you have to sleep in your car to get the "full Bethpage Black experience."

astavrides

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:56 PM »
you can get a reservation card and then call in advance and make a tee time for a single.  You don't have to be a resident to get the card.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Matt,
Let us know if you get 36 holes at Bethpage in on one day. That may set a record. It is a long day out there.
Alternately, there are companies that sell tee times. Maybe a few of the Long Insland GCA'ers can fill out a group and meet you there? If scheduling permits, I would be interested.
Keith

Brad LeClair

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
I have played 36 (18 Red - 18 Black) one hot day in July and it was nearly the most physically demanding thing i have done in the last 10 years.  I would not advise aiming for 36.  Walking the Black is so difficult that you won't want to do ANYTHING after playing it let alone tee it up again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:58:53 PM by Brad LeClair »

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »
Matt, I think you have to sleep in your car to get the "full Bethpage Black experience."

And bring a case of beer...  ;D
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
I have had a little different experience.

I've tried twice to get out as a single. Both times I showed up mid week once @ 830 then next time @ 7. Both times I was told the only way to get on was to watch the tote board - inside for when a single opens up first person to the window would grab it. Both times after watching nothing opened up after 2 hours so I bailed.

Not sure if I'm the exception or just picked days that we're packed w. 4 somes.

I've been successful with this technique multiple
times, but I get there at around 5 am. I think that
is key!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »
Matt:

Bethpage Black is often A LONG ROUND -- getting off in the earliest time frames (presuming warm air that early) makes for a better day as you cut down the choppers in front of you. Nothing is worse than standing on any tee at Bethpage and feel like you have to start up again after sitting for 15 minutes waiting for people in front of you to get realistic about their chances in reaching any of the par-4 holes there.

Agree with the others -- walking the Black is a physical undertaking. I'd recommend calling ahead and arranging a caddie. Makes the day much more pleasant and allows you to focus on the task at-hand.

One other tidbit to consider -- many of the greens at the Black are considerably elevated -- always add 1 or even 2 clubs more.

The Red has been recommended but if you need another nearby choice -- check out TF's design Oyster Bay in Woodbury -- only 10 minutes from the Black and it's nicely done for a local muni created on a former estate and is nicely routed on such cramp quarters.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied - there's a lot of good advice here.

My plan is to play on a weekday so I imagine that will help somewhat but after going through the comments, perhaps it's best that I try to show up around 5am like many suggested and wait in line with everyone else. 

What time does the Bethpage staffer come around with tickets for each car?  Do I show up before that time to guarantee a slot?

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
You don't have to go that far. They hand out the ticket around 4 AM, but you don't have to be there that early. Get there around 5 AM and there will be the guy with the ticket handing it out (if they have not run out of it already - unlikely in weekday). Pick it up and line up. The doors to the clubhouse opens at 6AM or so and you can go in and take whatever spot that is open.

I have always gotten a slot doing this.

Brian Brown

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
The Black course is closed on Mondays so plan accordingly.  I play as a single often and call on the reservation system usually the night before to see whats available and reserve a time that way.  I second the Red course as a great round and worth the trip to Bethpage to play on its own.

Rob Peterson

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
When I played there I arrived at about 3:30am as a single.  Gave me a bit of the "overnight" experience while not having to be there all night.  A lot of cars started piling in at 4am when they started handing out tickets.  I got out at 7:25am and I think we were done close to Noon (sounds like that is rare).  That would give you some rest if you were to try and get out again.  Like others have said, I hope you are in shape if you want to do 36.  That walk up 15 is a killer!!!

I didn't have a lot of time to kill before I played, but it was kind of fun watching people tee off on 1 as there can be a small crowd (maybe group is more accurate) there.

Have fun!

astavrides

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
I play as a single often and call on the reservation system usually the night before to see whats available and reserve a time that way. 

I feel a little saner now, knowing that I'm not the person who doesn't like to get there and stand in line and wait and hope, having slept maybe 5 hours the night before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back