News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew_Roberts

Double plateau
« on: May 03, 2003, 10:35:58 PM »
What is a double plateau green?

Is it another way of saying a two tiered geen?

Can somebody please explain?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

ed_getka

Re: Double plateau
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 11:49:10 PM »
A double plateau green is actually three levels. The middle level is fairway or green entrance level. The other two levels are on either side. I have only seen them at Yale and NGLA, so there are most likely other variations that others here are much more qualified to discuss than me.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 09:19:08 PM »
http://members.tripod.com/silverleaf_design/architecture.htm

This is a good page to explain the different classic hole designs.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Hunt

Re: Double Plateau Vs Biarritz
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 08:45:19 PM »
In looking further into this, there seems to be a contradiction on these two definitions.

Take #2 at SLCC  which has been named on the card as Double Plateau since its inception-yet many scholars consider it a Biarritz green.

Anybody care to take a stab at clarification? Are they one and the same?

George_Bahto

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 09:15:10 AM »
Hunt: they are totally different in the context of Macdonald/Raynor

Technically I guess you could call #2 St Louis a double Plateau green because it really two paleaux - it's named that in your club history. However it is a Biarritz hole.

I was only there once and I don't remember a "typical" double pleateau green and just looking at my notes I don't see anything I wrote there about one either.

Your #17 green seems to have been altered but that hole is a bit short for what would have been a DP hole - they are usually on long par-4s.

sssssssssssoooooo .... perhaps none was ever built there or if one were built, the green was altered. Hard to believe there was not one built. It was a very favorite green of these 3 guys.

Perhaps it was because they built the 5 par-3s, the Crater hole being the extra.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 09:15:24 AM »
Hunt: they are totally different in the context of Macdonald/Raynor

Technically I guess you could call #2 St Louis a double Plateau green because it really two paleaux - it's named that in your club history. However it is a Biarritz hole.

I was only there once and I don't remember a "typical" double pleateau green and just looking at my notes I don't see anything I wrote there about one either.

Your #17 green seems to have been altered but that hole is a bit short for what would have been a DP hole - they are usually on long par-4s.

sssssssssssoooooo .... perhaps none was ever built there or if one were built, the green was altered. Hard to believe there was not one built. It was a very favorite green of these 3 guys.

Perhaps it was because they built the 5 par-3s, the Crater hole being the extra.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

George_Bahto

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 09:28:35 AM »
Hunt: sorry, perhaps I didn't answer your original question.  

A DP green is really a green with 3 distinct levels or plateaux.

In the center area is the lowest level and the other two levels usually have different elevations in relation to the "lower" level. The two "other" plateaux are each a different levels also - hence 3 different level.

The "higher" two levels were positioned in various areas on their greens - sometimes one on the front right and the other at the rear; could have been left front and right rear quarter .... sort of "whatever looked good at the time". Some of the position of the plateaux is dictated by the angle of the approaches to the green.

These should not be confused with another green configuration they used where there are two minor plateaux only a little higher than the loser one - these are almost always positioned at the rear of a green with one in the left rear corner and the other in the right rear corner, separated by a minor "swale or valley" (running from back to front) ..... separated by a minor swale between them.

Wethered & Simpson

Hunt

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 07:46:52 PM »
George,

Thank you for the clarification.

Interesting you bring up the point about #17 green as appears it is a much smaller/altered version of larger complex.

I have heard and read ruminations about the Lions Mouth, Double Plateau and other possibilities it was orginially.

I just spoke to our assistant pro today and he told me that our previous Super, Jack Litvay, always picked the brain of my great-grandfather that played until he was 90 and was a wealth of knowledge about the course.

I only wish I had had the foresight to chat with him before he passed away about what he knew prior to his passing 15 years ago...

Don't be a stranger if and when you pass through these parts.

Hunt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back