News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

Re: Seve Stories
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:37 AM »
i am too young to have seen seve in his prime but one shot i recall seve playing near the end of his regular tour days (i was watching on tv) was at the final hole of a tournament, he needed birdie to tie (i think) he puts the drive right behind a tree, calls the rules official over and "discussed" for a good 10 minutes whether he could get a drop. he didn't get the drop,  took a three wood and carved it around the tree and into the back bunker. and as an example of how he never gave up he took the pin out because he thought he would hole it from the bunker!!

I remember that incident well. the Volvo Masters at Valderrrama, late '90's.  Seve's ball was hard up against the trunk of a cork oak. He tried long and hard to convince the rules official (John Paramour, I believe) that his ball was in a rabbit scrape and he should get relief. Of course it wasn't and he didn't.

Earlier, Seve missed an 18 inch putt on the 12th that might've given him the win.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 06:25:29 AM »
Steve.

Here is what happened.
It was earlier that the late 90s because I was there - and I was last there in 1995.
Seve was a shot behind Langer and he drove it through the fairway at the last hole and hard up against a cork tree.
Guy Hunt - who played with Nicklaus in the final round at Muirfield in 72 when Trevino chipped in at 17 - was the first official there and Seve was asking for a rabbit scrape drop.
Guy wouldn't agree with Seve's assessment of his lie but called Paramour for a second opinion.
He arrived and with some very quick thinking agreed with Seve that it was a mark made by an animal.
'It looks like a dog mark to me Seve'
'Yes,yes - its a dog agreed Seve.
'Well, Seve a dog is not a burrowing animal so you had better play it.'

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
Can anyone find video of the one club golf match he played at The Old Course with Lee Trevino?

I was at the 1991 Ryder Cup and about the 2nd or 3rd Hole of a foursomes match, JMO drives it right, the ball is on a sidehill lie two feet or more below Seve's feet and 150 + yards from the green.  Seve is stalking the shot and conversing with his caddie and JMO, it appears they maybe talking about where to miss it.   As Seve is making practice swings and trying to find a stable stance, some stereotypical redneck shouts "you won't get on the green from there".

Seve steps away appearing pissed off looks around searching for the heretic, the entire gallery looks at the directly at the guy, who ironically is about 18 feet up in a live oak tree.  Seve makes eye contact with him, smiles, and points at him and shakes his finger.  Then with the words of "you won't get on the green from there Seve" hanging in the air Seve announces "I will".  He goes directly back to his business; take an enormous cut at is about falls over gets back up to see the ball land on the green.

Seve then looks back up at heretic, points and says, "I did".  The entire gallery loved it.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Steve Goodwin

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
Great stories about a great player.  I'm glad to see that others remember that match against Lehman.   I was watching on TV, and my memory is of Lehman arriving at the green the usual way, then standing there, looking on in amazement, as Seve arrived from who knows where, but still, somehow, in the match. 
I got to talk to Seve a few times in 86 while working on a book.  He's the only top player who ever bothered make a personal call in response to a request for an interview.   He was great to talk to -- candid and forthcoming except when the subject veered toward Deane Beman.    They were feuding, and I remember Seve insisting that he wanted it to end.  He seemed ready to erupt when he said, "He is the one that bring the fire, not me."  Looking at him across a table, I wondered.  You did not want to cross this man.  Interviewing him was like being in small room with a lion.
The O'Grady chapter is a strange one.  Someone help me out -- didn't O'Grady take Seve out into the desert to set some kind of cleansing fire? 
I spent a couple of hours yesterday looking at posts yesterday, and looking back at some of the stuff I wrote about Seve,  Even posted excerpts on my website about his beginnings and how the will to win was always so evident.  It anyone feels like taking a look, just click the green button over there on the left.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
When my older brother and I were kids and played together and one of us made some kind of ridiculous recovery shot, we would often shout "Severiano Ballesteros" in a yodelling style.

The man's reputation certainly endured. RIP.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
It's hard to beat his thrill at sinking the putt to win the Open Championship at St. Andrews, but I followed him in his singles match at the Ryder Cup at Oak Hill. I've never seen anything like that. It was an amazing demonstration. Anyone else with his game that day would have given up. Seve thought he could win even though he had nothing but a short game. He took Lehman to I believe the 15th hole. It was an amazing round of golf in a losing effort.

I remember a shot he hit at a different tournament where the ball was in deep rough, steep downhill lie with a small bush right in his way. He took the widest stance I've ever seen, kept his head still and somehow got the ball over the bush and finished about 6 feet from the hole.

Cheers,
Dan King
Nobody could have done that. Nobody could have done it from the places that he hit it. It's the best nine holes of golf I've ever seen, that front nine. He shot even par. I would have shot probably 9 over.
 --Tom Lehman (on playing Seve Ballesteros in singles at the 1995 Ryder Cup)

Agreed, Dan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9gXnqUCKOI

In so many ways it would appear that round was a metaphor for his life, and ultimately for his death, don't you think? Reminds us all to go down fighting to the last.

Thanks for the video and stories guys.  Unfortunately, I was only a very young kid during the '95 Ryder Cup, so I don't remember much of the tournament.  This video is phenomenal, and great to see after 15 years.  Part of the reason why I like this video is that I have hit it in the places Seve hit it and have had the shots Seve had here many times over the past few years.  He hits some unreal shots here.  The chip-in on 2 and the second shot on 5 are especially unbelievable.  If you have that pitch shot on 2, you are lucky to stop within 15 feet, but Seve's chip died into the hole.  Unreal.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Carl Nichols

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/golf/seve-ballesteros-was-a-master-of-creativity--and-mystique/2011/05/07/AFdiZjKG_story.html

Seve Ballesteros was a master of creativity — and mystique
By Thomas Boswell, Published: May 7
Once at the U.S. Open, I watched Seve Ballesteros practice bunker shots for 20 minutes, sometimes stepping on the ball to simulate a buried lie, or throwing it down hard to create a fried-egg lie. The result was a group of nearly perfect shots engulfing the hole, as tight a pattern of excellence as any pro could achieve from a steep-faced trap.

However, the method was just slightly different: Ballesteros only used a 3-iron in the trap, a club that, it was universally assumed, was utterly impossible to use for such a purpose. Perhaps no other player in the world could have gotten even one ball over the head-high lip of the trap and onto any part of the green.

Seve, cocking the club at a ridiculous angle at address, somehow turned the flattish blade with no “bounce” into a precision instrument. The whole show was designed to mock the limitations of talent and imagination of the dozens of other pros who pretended to be practicing, too, but barely hit a shot because they wanted to peek at Ballesteros.

Perhaps I should have noted his method, to the degree I could understand it, for posterity. But the performance was such an audacious, pretentious piece of gamesmanship — typical of Ballesteros, with no practical purpose but to annoy and intimidate the predominantly American players around him — that you didn’t think it was worthy of special note. Who knew, perhaps the next day he would do something comparable, but completely different — maybe practice hitting half-swing drivers off hardpan that would hit a tree in front of him and bounce back over his head onto the green.

The same amount of exploratory time, everyone knew, could have been used on the practice range, where Ballesteros always desperately needed to work on straightening out his titanically long but incredibly wild driver. But that was boring. And if he mastered that key element of his craft, it would only bring him equal to his foes. So, what was the point? He would practice shots he would never use simply to advertise his talent, please himself — and give me a memory that will last longer than all the shots I ever saw played by Curtis Strange, Nick Faldo and Hale Irwin combined.

The sportswriting convention holds that we observe great athletes for many years and in every available circumstance, until we have something to offer toward an understanding of them as people, as well as performers. Unless we are complete dullards, it shouldn’t be so hard. You can spend a week or month studying most journalism subjects and make a decent attempt at a profile.

I spent more than a decade with golf as one of my major responsibilities when Seve was at or near the top of the sport. Yet he was a mystery to me then and he remains so in death. I covered most of the events for which he will be remembered, including his two victories at the Masters in ’80 and ’83, as well as his win at the British Open at St. Andrews and several Ryder Cups when his leadership and elan confounded duller, less charismatic or confident American players.

But I never “got” him. His background was termed “agrarian,” though his three older brothers were all pro golfers. My grandfather was a farmer and I spent plenty of time there. That “connection” was no help. Ballesteros may have been from the farm, but he sure didn’t seem as if he longed to go back to one. He turned to sport early and never cared for education. But he was so quick in repartee that no one doubted his intelligence.

No golfer was more handsome or had a more radiant, infectious smile when he chose to unleash it, yet he often seemed annoyed or isolated. Or on a solitary lone march to some place to which nobody else was privy. I saw him in America and Europe, in airports and locker rooms. He seldom seemed happy, except when he was ecstatic or triumphant. I suspect he was the only real art-for-art’s-sake artist that I ever witnessed in golf and, to this day, it irritates me that I have little idea what made him tick.

Dislike of American hegemony in golf hardly seems enough to define a man, so that can’t be it. Nevertheless, golf is now a world game, in which the United States is just another component, largely because Ballesteros obliterated the myth of U.S. superiority. He reminded everyone that we didn’t invent the game and hadn’t fully explored or perfected it and that our time alone at the top was an historical accident that would pass with his help.

Journalists root for the story — the story, that is, that they know how to tell well. Or at least know how to dig out. Seve gave a good effort at explaining himself in English — though his explanation of a four putt, “I miss, I miss, I miss, I make” — is also an accurate reflection of how he used the language barrier to craft a whimsical, slightly shy but also sly image of himself: You see the twinkle in my eye, but you don’t entirely know what it means. Ballesteros, at least to the U.S. golf press, saw no advantage in being deeply understood. So, he wasn’t.

Last month at the Masters, when Jack Nicklaus and other past champions were asked to comment on Ballesteros’s health — which had been failing since a cancerous brain tumor was found in 2008 — they were uniformly sympathetic and warm, and some said they’d sent him messages. But, as a group, including European players, they seemed not quite up to speed, as though Ballesteros, who had not won an important individual event in nearly 20 years, was something of a mystery to them, too.

Or perhaps mystery is the wrong word. Maybe “mystique” is more to the point. Ballesteros had it, knew it, enjoyed it and, probably, cultivated it.

A man who wants to be thoroughly understood and embraced does not spend 20 minutes in a sand trap hitting the toughest bunker shots with a 3-iron — and never explain how it is done — unless, at some prickly level, he prefers to be remembered as an artist of sport who remained to the end an almost magical, magnetic and unknowable star.

D_Malley

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »
Just speaking with a very reliable source, (Seve's tour caddy from 81-87)

in the 81 open at Merion, Seve was the only player in the field that week to hit the par 5, 4th hole in two shots.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
Just ran across this -- by Joe Posnanski in Sports Illustrated:

"They called him El Matador. His handsome face and flamboyant game demanded the nickname of an action hero. Ballesteros would drive balls into trees, into roughs, into galleries, under cars, into villains’ lairs. Then he would summon impossible shots that leaped over tall buildings, bounced over traps, rolled up to greens. He would follow with chip shots softer than the housing market, and if the ball dared not drop, he would stare angrily, as if personally betrayed. Birdies, he felt, were his birthright."

As they say at the Open: Spot on!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 05:35:39 PM »
If you believed all this stuff about the way Seve played you could be excused for thinking he played every hole out of the rough and the trees.
He was a beautiful driver - he hit way more shots than many of the rest who largely relied on one stock shot - and he played a lot of holes from the middle of the fairway to the middle of the green.

David Kelly

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
Nobody summed up Seve better than the great Alan Partridge:

http://www.video.monkeymag.co.uk/video/iLyROoafYMN4.html
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back