News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: Who is the most underrated architect of all time?
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
Tom Bendelow
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:16 AM »
Mike strantz
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony Butler

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »
Regarding Russell I've never quite understood why the bunkering at Yarra Yarra is quite bold, elaborate and plentiful (not unlike Mackenzie's) but Parapararumu's is the opposite. There are very few bunkers in NZ, those few are very simple, almost boring. Does anyone know the reason?

I would guess this is a combination of three factors:

1)  Budget - Budget is always a factor in operating courses in New Zealand, which has such a small economy.

Would the amount of wind they get on this site be another factor? Considering what they've done to try to keep the sand in the bunkers at NSWGC over the last 10 years, the low budget version of this strategy (and everything was low budget right after WW II) would have been to leave as many bunkers out as possible.

Next!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
Regarding Russell I've never quite understood why the bunkering at Yarra Yarra is quite bold, elaborate and plentiful (not unlike Mackenzie's) but Parapararumu's is the opposite. There are very few bunkers in NZ, those few are very simple, almost boring. Does anyone know the reason?

1)  Budget - Budget is always a factor in operating courses in New Zealand, which has such a small economy.

Would the amount of wind they get on this site be another factor? Considering what they've done to try to keep the sand in the bunkers at NSWGC over the last 10 years, the low budget version of this strategy (and everything was low budget right after WW II) would have been to leave as many bunkers out as possible.

Anthony:

That's also true; you make a good point.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
While Pete Dye is a household name, does Alice Dye deserve more credit?

From her bio: "As an architect, Alice joined with her husband, Pete, in the design and construction of their first course, El Dorado, now called Royal Oak Country Club, in Indianapolis.  She continued as a co-designer for such famous courses as PGA West in La Quinta, CA;  The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island Resort in Kiawah, SC;  Harbour Town Golf Links and Long Cove Club on Hilton Head Island, SC;  Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, IN, and Teeth of the Dog in La Romana, Dominican Republic."

http://dyedesigns.com/golf/dye-family-2/alice-dye/

And, infamously, she provided the idea for Sawgrass #17 island green.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Anthony Butler

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

Anthony:

That's also true; you make a good point.

Tom-Have you ever been asked to revet or reshape either one of your bunkers or something on a restoration job due to sand loss from wind?
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back