News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

I like Houses
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »
I like houses on golf courses.

Golf courses are a great place to get away from it all.  The feeling of seclusion you get in a remote setting is, much like hiking in the wilderness, invigorating and refreshing.  But golf is also a community game.  A game of friendships and relationships, and there is something great about playing golf in a community setting on a club or course that is in harmony with its surroundings, an integral part of society and with the feeling of having a walk in the park.

Often houses compromise the design of golf courses but unfortunately this has tended to lead to a prevailing view on golfclubatlas that houses=bad, ignoring the important role that houses have in the game of golf.

Here are a few of my favorite golf courses with houses.

The Old Course

Scottish Links courses are indelibly linked to the towns they are part of.  Golf in Scotland has a great reputation as being a game of the people and the way many of the courses start and finish in town only enhances this feeling.  The view of the town coming down the closing holes at The Old Course is beautiful and as special as any ocean or mountain scenery. 

Pebble Beach Golf Links

17 Mile Drive is possibly the world’s best housing estate.  The natural beauty of the place is only enhanced by the realisation that people actually live there.  What a vicarious thrill it is to imagine living there.  The sense of relaxation that one gets from the moment they pass through the gates of 17 Mile Drive is amazing.  The houses on the golf course present some interesting architecture and the people walkng their dogs on the course in the evening reinforces the feeling that this is a community space – but not a community that I will ever be able to afford, unfortunately. 

Merion

A great suburban golf course. The lack of fences around the place and the road that passes through the course makes this course feel like a suburban park.  As can be seen in the photo of the seventh green above, rarely is there any intention of separating the golf course from the surrounding houses.  Whilst it is an exclusive and historic club, you get the feeling that it is a place that the kids and families of the neighbourhood would get out onto for a few holes in the evening. 

PGA West

A mass housing course but rarely do you get a sense of the houses coming into play.  Whilst the architect keeps the houses out of play, there is no effort to separate them from the golf course, as can be seen by the location of the 12th tee in someone’s backyard.  Whilst playing as a single I ran into a few slow groups in front.  I was waiting on the tee, whilst some locals were having an evening drink nearby.  A wave, and a quick conversation later, and I was sharing a quick glass of wine whilst I waited to play. 

The other great thing about houses on golf courses.  People live in them.  And really enjoy living next to a golf course.  I can’t think of too many better places to live, myself. 

Why do comments about houses on golf courses have to be negative?  What are some of the best golf course houses and communities out there? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matthew Mollica

Re: I like Houses
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
Wonderful thread Dave. I look forward to the responses!

National (Old) has always balanced housing and the course really well IMHO Jeffrey. Many of the houses peek out from the surrounding native vegetation, and some also provide a sense of design symmetry, in that their aesthetics are of the same time as the course's opening.

Note the 'Cigar Box House' overlooking the 3rd hole, top right of the picture. Designed by Denton Corker Marshall, it's a remarkable home.

MM
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:54:29 PM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tim Bert

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
David, Nice post.  I don't think most people on this site are exactly talking about Pebble Beach when they complain about houses on courses.  I didn't even mind the ones lining some spots on Pasatiempo.  Next time you are in the states, please join me for a few rounds in Memphis or Nashville and I'll teach you to hate houses as well!

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
There are some great examples of this, IMO.

Royal Zoute is dotted with some very pretty homes set back from the course behind towering pines.

Riviera being surrounded by homes up on the canyon rim makes it feel like a gigantic stadium, which I really liked.

The few homes scattered around Fishers Island overlooking the course are fantastic, most notably the one to the right of the 16th. My dream home!

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:04:17 AM »
I like houses around the boundaries of courses.  I do not like courses that play directly through neighborhoods.

How was the honeymoon David?

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:26:44 AM »

How was the honeymoon David?
I only got 3 rounds of golf in once the wife turned up, but other than that it was fantastic!
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:07:31 AM »
Dear David,

I am not a big fan of the houses on #10 at ANGC.

Sincerely,
Rory
----------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 03:43:01 AM »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 06:48:12 AM »
I would offer up either Westchester CC West or South courses. Some very distinctive homes scattered about from a bygone era.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:00:44 AM »
Wonderful thread Dave. I look forward to the responses!

National (Old) has always balanced housing and the course really well IMHO Jeffrey.

MM

Jeffrey ???

David

You have given some interesting samples from overseas would be interested to hear your thoughts on those you like closer to home ?

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 07:16:19 AM »
I like holes that border front yards much more than back yards.  So that you have a road between you and the yard/home.  I'd much rather see a cirular driveway than a swingset.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
I like lamp...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
I have  admired the houses along Golf House Road adjacent to Merion East for years. One is for sale now:

http://www.luxuryhomes.com/lh/listing/55e98527-897c-450e-9af5-aed2817dad0a

Or, this is for rent:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/2343759146.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
Doesn't Los Angeles CC have a rather famous house along one its holes? 

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:43 PM »
I have  admired the houses along Golf House Road adjacent to Merion East for years. One is for sale now:

http://www.luxuryhomes.com/lh/listing/55e98527-897c-450e-9af5-aed2817dad0a

Or, this is for rent:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/2343759146.html

To buy or rent one of these and be a golfer you best have a friend that is a member or you could slowly go mad(as in crazy).

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
This topic was a discussion point each evening amongst a group of 30 club members i had on a tour

The comprison between the "main" course at a resort and the secondary course was dramatic
It appeared the time spent ensuring the housing on the name layout blended in was far greater than on the associated courses

At harbour town the houses are blended by the tree line on a lot of holes and for someone who has zero desire to live on a golf course i found the houses very liveable,
At heron poinnt the houses were quite intrusive

We all felt the same at kiawah

On the ocean course the houses were well course, whereas On osprey and Turtle there did not seem to be the thought given to the placement

The one thing most agreed on was they would like to live on a course but would like to have privacy,

I would not however mind living on a course if i had a beach house on teeth of the dog
The shacks with the private beach near the 16th tee very impressive

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
I like houses too...just not on golf courses...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
Doesn't Los Angeles CC have a rather famous house along one its holes? 

... the 13th and apparently you can't climb a tree anymore to observe the fine mounds ... I mean architecture  ::) .

David,

I think it can be tastefully done, but by and large I much prefer a course without any homes around it.  There's nothing "natural" about a house and I've never seen one "fit" in with a course.  The clubhouse is something I don't mind.

Spyglass does a good job of "camouflaging" many homes on the course there I think.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »

North Berwick West Links behind the 16th green. They add not  detract.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:41:08 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »

North Berwick West Links behind the 16th green. They add not  detract.

Some friends of mine live in one of the apartments in the left hand house. Nice place, but a killer if you are a golfer and forgot to put your name down for membership of NBGC when you moved in (the waiting list was five years when I last asked David, who is forced to play his golf at the Glen!)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

I like this at St Andrews Pilmour Links -  the end terrace house for a cool £1,250,000.00

And the web link

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-for-sale/details/id/SAED_222514/

Melvyn

Matt Day

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 12:39:49 AM »
There was a house near the 5th or 6th at Pinehurst number 2 I wouldnt mind living in, set back in the woods on Muster Branch Rd  :)

Matthew Rose

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 02:51:20 AM »
I enjoy it, if only because I've had the chance to live on a golf course a couple of times in my life.

It's a nice feeling driving through your neighborhood and suddenly there's a gap in the houses and you see a green sitting there and another tee across the street.

I can see why they aren't exactly good for architecture, though.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:30 AM »
It can add or detract.

Being a fan of modern architecture, I snapped this on my recent visit to Pasatiempo.

Tim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back