News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Re: Which living golf course architect is most worth traveling for?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
I always take my time to get to the latest Fazio because I know it will still be there when I am ready.

Which one, Wild Dunes or PGA National?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 04:13:30 PM »
I always take my time to get to the latest Fazio because I know it will still be there when I am ready.

Which one, Wild Dunes or PGA National?

I've never played Shadow Creek, The Alotian or Wade Hampton.  They all interest me and will wait.  I would travel to any of the three as quick as any other living architects work if I were comped or friend of a member.

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
Well,

I'm travelling to play 3 Doaks, 2 DeVries, 2 C&Cs, 1 MacKenzie, 1 Urbina, 1 DMK, 0 Faz and 0 JN.  So there's your answer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:23:13 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Rogers

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »
Now that High Pointe is non-operational, the cheapest Doak in the world must be Riverfront in Suffolk, VA.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
I think we'll make that trip to play Rod Whitman's Cabot Links.  He's become Canada's top Designer in the golf dirt, and we enjoyed having fish and chips with he and Ben at St Andrews while they were researching..
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
Now that High Pointe is non-operational, the cheapest Doak in the world must be Riverfront in Suffolk, VA.

Sorry, but Groupon was just offering a coupon for Quail Crossing that was $20 per person including cart.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »

Sorry, but Groupon was just offering a coupon for Quail Crossing that was $20 per person including cart.
ok cheapest at the regular rack rate.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »
Let's see...

Doak
Harman
Nicklaus

Mix in a couple from those no longer with us

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Easy - I'm going with the architect who will grease my palm a little, who'll let me wet my beak, who'll make it worth my while, the one who'll thrown in a few perks, a six pack, a sleeve of Pro V1s, a cart girl; in short, I'm going with the one who will treat me in the manner I hope to one day grow accustomed to.  I mean, really - golf courses are a dime a dozen, there's thousands of them, and every single architect we've mentioned has many, many designs to his name...but there is only one Peter P!!  I figure they need me more than I need them.  

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Easy - I'm going with the architect who will grease my palm a little, who'll let me wet my beak, who'll make it worth my while, the one who'll thrown in a few perks, a six pack, a sleeve of Pro V1s, a cart girl; in short, I'm going with the one who will treat me in the manner I hope to one day grow accustomed to.  I mean, really - golf courses are a dime a dozen, there's thousands of them, and every single architect we've mentioned has many, many designs to his name...but there is only one Peter P!!  I figure they need me more than I need them.  

Spot on my good man!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Joe Bausch

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »

Is your beak already wet P2?

Joe

P.S.  We got game seven hockey action yo!!!!  Let's go Flyers.
--------------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »

Sorry to hear that as I recall you and I paid $17 a few years ago - walking though.

I still lament the fact that the Magaic Spoon cracked that day.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
As I haven't played that many modern courses I don't really know.  I prefer to target courses and/or areas rather than archies.  It doesn't mean much to me to say such and such name is associated with a course except in a general way.  Looking at pix of Ballyneal it wouldn't matter to me if that was a Doak or a Dickhead design - the course looks good and one I want to see it.   I don't travel for archies.  I travel for golf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mac Plumart

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 07:11:35 PM »
I don't travel for archies.  I travel for golf.

Bingo!!  A golf course is what it is, regardless of who designed it. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
Isn't Pete Dye still alive? His impact on desgn is incredible and has a portfolio that matches any. Would there be a Doak without Pete?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
JC,

On this website the answers are either Doak or C&C.  We all know when either of those are opening new courses, often times before it is even meant to be public.

Very few know if or when a Fazio, Nicklaus or anyone else course will be opening.

Wow, you have become one serious Fazio honk lately JC.  Seriously, at every opportunity you cite the Doak and C & C bias and defend Fazio.

We get it already...

Interestingly, I've not played a Fazio course to date.  Perhaps you know me better than I know myself.

You haven't played a Fazio?!?!?  No freakin' way!!!  Dude, have some serious fun with it and experience it.  I'd suggest starting with early Fazio work and progress it up to Shadow Creek and then play his post-Shadow work.  Keep us in the loop and let us know if you see any trends, differences, etc.

I have my thoughts and opinions on this and I'd love to compare notes.

scott_wood

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Rack rate three years ago at Quail Crossing was $39, which included a hat ,,club logo on front, 'Tom Doak Design' on it''s side

Best value round I've ever had.......

And the afternoon round down the round, MAY be the best fazio I've played.......

Pretty good day.....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:14:53 PM by scott_wood »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
Rack rate three years ago at Quail Crossing was $39, which included a hat ,logo on front, 'Tom Doak Design' on it''s side

Best value round I've ever had.......

And the afternoon round down the round, MAY be the best fazio I've played.......

Pretty good day.....

It is a nice 36 hole day, eh Scott?   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bart Bradley

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 09:14:45 PM »
I think it is a flawed question for architecture nuts....

Isn't the answer for a website like this:  "All of them".  If we are students of architecture, we must see the work of a diversity of architects to inform our opinions and to give perspective.  If we only travel to see the "best" courses, can we really come to understand the breadth and scope of the subject?   Don't all architects utiliize features that are worthy of study (even if we learn what to avoid)?  Even the bashers should be able to find something admirable in 18 original designs  ;D.

Just my opinion,

Bart

Mac Plumart

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »
Bart...

Absolutely correct.  Students of architecture need to see as much as they can.  Fans, not so much.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
Carl:

There is a Doak course here in Australia - St Andrew's Beach - A$50 - about USD53.50 and Barnbougle Dunes is A$98 - about USD 105
@theflatsticker

JC Urbina

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
Jim,

For me it would be Pete Dye.

I recently drove a long way to see the two courses at Trump Bedminster.
I also went to see what Gil was doing at LACC and what Kyle did at Welshire.

I wouldn't pass up a chance to see what Paul did in Cabo and Nuzzo did in Texas. It will just take some time to get there.
If I  am close to a Fazio course I usually stop in to take a look.
I have spent some time recently looking at Brian Curly's golf courses.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2011, 05:02:04 AM »
If one hasn't seen a Doak or C&C course then I would recommend they travel to experience one of them. I would also say the same to see the work of one Mike Clayton as well.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
For some of that will be going to Ballyhack on September 16 - 18, a stop in Radford, VA to Pete Dye's River Course at Virginia Tech will be a treat of an experience along the banks of the New River.  Warning: this a course built for NCAA Division 1 golf, a very mean course.

Jud_T

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 08:22:14 AM »
Well,

I'm travelling to play 3 Doaks, 2 DeVries, 2 C&Cs, 1 MacKenzie, 1 Urbina, 1 DMK, 0 Faz and 0 JN.  So there's your answer.

Oh and let's not forget a Langford/ Moreau y'all...What's the Fazio course near Quail Crossing?  Plan on heading down that way one of these days...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back