News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Which living golf course architect is most worth traveling for?
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »
To me, this is the category that a "signature designer" should most like to win.  It is a combination of having built some really good courses in some cool places, and of keeping up a high standard so that there is not likely to be a disappointment at the end of the journey.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
If it means traveling to see the architect, I would vote Jan Stephenson, Lorena Ochoa, etc.  If it meant to see their courses, well that's a wider field!

While not living, I have spent some time traveling back roads of Kansas and OK to see what some have said are untouched Maxwell courses, and I went to Australia just to see the best of Mac.  Also went out of my way to see Strantz because they were so unique.

As to current signature architects, in some ways, I would think their volume of work would work against them.  To many, why travel too far to see any but the most unique Faz?  On average sites, he builds to his own will and while a fan, and I know he has done more cool stuff than most would give credit for, with so much product on the ground its kind of a seen one deal.....

I hate to say it, but I hear whispers of CC getting in the same trap  of similarity.  Tom Doak currently has the best rep for doing different things, although I think his portfolio is getting big enough as to where moving forward after his run of spectacular sites, he will have to battle hard to avoid the same trap, like everyone else.

Frankly, the work I am most likely to travel to see next is Lester George with Ballyhack.  But, thats just me.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »
I'm actually quite disappointed that none of the architects posting here have offered to wet Peter's beak. What's wrong with you guys?!?! There's only ONE Peter P. after all!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
Thank you, Charlie - but you see, they don't know good business, they don't understand that you gotta spend money to make money....a little here, a little there, a sign of respect, a gesture of appreciation, a cart girl once in a while.  I know a lot of people, I could help them down the road....but...well, they don't even invite me to their house for a cup of coffee, even though my wife is godmother to their children. Well, I understand - they have their friends, they have their raters, which jingle around in their pockets like so many nickles and dimes; they don't need me. That's alright. That's alright. You take care, Charlie 'The Student' Goerges, don't worry about anything.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 11:49:47 AM »
Traveling to see a finished product isn't high on my list (early in my career, Dad sent me all over to look at stuff and especially Pete Dye courses as he thought he was pushing the envelope farther than anyone else, "there's a lot of visual clutter" he said "but if you can pick though it, there is some true genious, you jsut have to be able to find it". Nicklaus for what he asked of the golfer and Fazio for "the landscape architects veiw of golf course design".

But I can say I would travel to visit some architects courses while they were under construction. To me, this is the most facinating part. And if you can see what was there and how it is being transformed and discuss with the architect the WHY, now that would be worth the expense. I guess it's because I'm more a student of architecture who happens to play golf rather than a golfer who also likes to study architecture.
Coasting is a downhill process

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
Tim,

I remember your Dad's opinions on Pete Dye clutter. I recall him commenting on some of the earth pile up and shaping well beyond greens, wondering why he did it because it was so far from play.  At one point, Bruce Borland told me he had uttered, "um, because it looks great?"

With your view, then I guess the answer would be the answer to the question, which living architect best blends all aspects of gca - visual, play, and out of the box thinking elements?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »

Frankly, the work I am most likely to travel to see next is Lester George with Ballyhack.  But, thats just me.

The Dixie Cup in late October will be played over four of Lester's courses -- Ballyhack, Kinloch, Kanawa and Providence.  A private destination course, a very high end private, a private par 3, and a public.  The event sold out very quickly; others share your enthusiasm about Lester's designs.  Wish I'd seen some sooner, looking forward to this a lot.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »
Doak because he built Cape Kidnappers and that looks worth traveling for. 

Tim Nugent

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
Tim,

I remember your Dad's opinions on Pete Dye clutter. I recall him commenting on some of the earth pile up and shaping well beyond greens, wondering why he did it because it was so far from play.  At one point, Bruce Borland told me he had uttered, "um, because it looks great?"

With your view, then I guess the answer would be the answer to the question, which living architect best blends all aspects of gca - visual, play, and out of the box thinking elements?

Jeff, ya, that would be Bruce.  But yep, I guess that's what he musta had in mind (only he never let on, you know how he liked to you to discover things on your own). I think you could post that question as it's own thread. I'd be curious what the golfers who like to study architecture take would be.
Coasting is a downhill process

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 12:26:30 PM »
Your dad would eventually get exasperated when I consistently failed to discover what he wanted me to......eventually my cluelessness would force him to tell me!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back