News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Earthworms
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:50 AM »
Casting earthworms are creating a major problem at our course.

Up until 2 years ago, chemical control was the solution but the product most widely used has been removed from the market. Chemical options are now very expensive with poorer results.

Do any of the supers have any suggestions for either control or deterrent measures? Any organic type of solutions?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:36:25 AM by Grant Saunders »

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Earthworms
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:45:27 AM »
Grant,
  I know that this is a chemical, but try Arena at 12oz/acre. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but you will get 6-7 months effectiveness on earthworms. Water in for 6 mins. It also cleans up anything else you have going on. Sevin just does not have the long term effect for the price-7-10 days, maybe?
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Eric Morrison

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:49:12 AM »
Topdressing sand can work as a deterrent
It is what it is.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:47 AM »
Primo
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Michael Hayes

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
I remember this problem well.  I have used multiple tactics with some success....

Switch fairway mowers to all grooved rollers in winter and spring. We had great success in not smearing around castings and furthering turf density loss.

Summer and fall heavy topdressing.

Mustard and Cayenne powder sprays as an irritant.

The best was having a harvester come in and dump 55 gal. drums of water with a little xylene mixed in, the worms would surface and were shoveled back into the drums.  the harvester used the worms in his compost bussiness,  We did our approaches and tee area this way once every other season with some amazing results.

Bandonistas Unite!!!

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
Raise the cutting height and learn to live with them. Cut when the grass is dry!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
check into Earlybird fertilizer (3-0-0)

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
Grant,
  I know that this is a chemical, but try Arena at 12oz/acre. Yes, it's a little more expensive, but you will get 6-7 months effectiveness on earthworms. Water in for 6 mins. It also cleans up anything else you have going on. Sevin just does not have the long term effect for the price-7-10 days, maybe?
  Good recommendation however earthworms are not on the label. 

Jason Goss

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »
A nicely timed Thiophanate-Methyl (3336 or generic) application for disease pressure does wonders for the earthworm problem.  Only drawback is the label only allows for one fairway application per year.  Hmmm...... wonder why they would limit you to only one fairway app.  Earthworms are only a problem if your turf is overwatered anyway.  The only time the show up here is in the winter when it rains.  Cut back the water and use an angular topdressing sand if it is available and it should help.
Jason Goss
Golf Course Superintendent
Sonoma Golf Club
Sonoma, CA
www.sonomagolfclub.com

Steve Okula

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 12:48:51 AM »
To the American supers posting here, be aware that Grant is in New Zealand. Chemical product market names, and label rates and recommendations, vary considerably from country to country. You should indicate the chemical name of the active ingredient for someone to find it oversea&s.

Foliar applications of ammonium sulphate at 1.25lbs./1000sq.ft. (@100kg./ha.) might help the earthworms.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Grant Saunders

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

As Steve said, I am in New Zealand and he is right regarding the active ingredients for trying to locate the products over here.

We are currently entering winter so they are a massive problem right now. As far as ovewatering goes, my irrigation system makes this almost impossible due to reliability concerns.

The areas of concern are the fairways and tees. They arent a problem in the greens due to the sand profile and lower pH. Ammonium sulphate and ferrous sulphate are an option that I am exploring. Also, It has been recommended to try a product called Mesurol (active Methiocarb) which is a bird repellent and also slug and snail bait. Up until 2 years ago endosulfan based products were available but have since been removed from the market.

I am particularly interested in non chemical options and pH manipulation is something which I feel will work but may take some time. Budget restraints prevent sand topdressing of these areas (some of you supers would be shocked if you knew my budget to work with). Mowing while dry is preferable but not always practical.

Leo Barber

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »
Ive tried the Mesurol Grant with very unconvincing results to date.  I am told carbendazim is the best alternative but like you for a broad acre spray with a limited period of control its raises some red flags in the budget!!  Very unfortunate the removal of endosulfan and now with the bad press Chlorpyrifos is getting after that 60 minutes show midweek (albeit its use as a control for bedbugs!!) could this be the next chemical to leave the NZ market posing further headaches for us all?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 06:04:51 AM »

You have got to love these little guys, stop this mass destruction of the friendly worm and start working with them or are we going to keep polluting our planet starting with the common earthworm found on our Greens.

Love them, hate them, can’t we try and live with them. When Hamilton killed the earthworms at St Andrews that Old Tom did so much to cultivate over his 40 years or so, the course suffered from 1904 through to 1912. Have we forgotten all the ways to work with them or is it just easier to kill – seems the modern answer to everything, be you in Pakistan or on any humble Golf Greens in the world.

Melvyn

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:40:34 AM »
Melvyn, Earthworms are not a native species here in North America.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »
Dan

Then you can't be playing golf ;)

;D Melvyn ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:48:03 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Steve Okula

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
When golfers come off the course with their new, white, Dry Joys covered in mud, they are most unreceptive to lectures on the benefits of earthworms, I'm here to tell you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:09:38 PM by Steve Okula »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »

Feel sorry for you Steve, but that's the modern easy game for you.

Proving that many modern golfers are spoilt rotten and could not match the Men of Old (pre WW2). Its golf, its outside and its subject to many external factors.

Christ give me strength  and go and play indoors on synthetic grass and sand , in that way they may retain their cool

Golf is a challenge, looks like their challenge in not to break into a sweat. Then money has never guaranteed understand let alone common sense.

Let’s kill the planet for the ignorant rich well-dressed dicks

Surprised you can keep your cool Steve.

Melvyn

Grant Saunders

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 03:36:01 AM »
Leo

I have heard mixed reports about the mesurol when used on its own. I spoke to the super at Manawatu (Malcolm?) and he said he has had good result with mesurol followed up by carbendazim at 5l/ha. This is a bit more budget friendly than the 30l/ha that was being suggested by the NZSTI.

Hopefully we dont lose chlorpyrifos but Im sure its inevitable.

Melvyn

You know nothing about our situation. Please do not polute this productive thread with your ramblings.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »
Grant

I bow to this being your thread, however ramblings was not my intentions. It was a constructive comment with and actual statement of fact as to the condition of TOC when Hamilton (Keeper of the Green at St Andrew) did away with the worms.

I am not sure if you have followed some of the writings of Ian Andrews on this site and his old site Caddy Shack. Ian has posted some interesting points regards many aspects of GCA and being perhaps more environmentally friendly. Some interesting article regards the financial climate and from memory delved upon brown rather than green courses due to lack of rainfall or the conserving of water.

Of course the situation differs from country to country, but I gave you a detailed report on the results in Scotland. Pre Hamilton the Green Keepers worked with the humble earthworm, with special rakes they took great natural care of the Greens , thus working very close to Nature. Today it’s all about money and minimise effort and let the chemicals do the work, I was just reminding you that in the past other options prevailed and seem to have done rather well.

Injection of humour, yes guilty as charged but at least I have a sense of humour, as for the planet, yes, we are killing it and ourselves with our own stupidity. As for my last post that was extremely valid in that we keep taking short cuts then why not have a synthetic courses, as today we have to give the players not just a course but it has to be the right shade of Green.

It’s funny that the modern player wants good Green courses, kept so by various means including excessive water. We have trees near our Green and we know that trees love to drinks vast amounts of water, however every good Green Keeper knows that you cannot always maintain grass to the colour that players want without spending reasonable amounts of money, starting with the expense of what’s we put under the Greens.

As you know I am a supporter of ‘land fit for purpose’, now that money is harder to acquire, more care should be taken. I also question the extent of the pre-construction work re drains/irrigation believing that a golf course should be allowed to retain much of its original soil and shape. Noting from the original survey that the plot was selected as an ideal location for a golf course in the first place.

Tinker with additives and mixtures, but first we need to get the basics right, fail upon that and you perhaps start threads like this, asking questions that should have been resolved at the time of the course construction.

Grant, my input was constructive, with a little side humour, but perhaps the main problem today is that we do not listen let alone hear the comments of others. Nevertheless this is your topic and as I said I bow to that, so I will make no more comments on your thread.  

Melvyn
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:46:14 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Carl Johnson

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:07:04 AM »
Melvyn, Earthworms are not a native species here in North America.

I'm on Melvin's side on this one.  There are native earthworms in North America, although worms not native to northern forests are causing some ecological difficulties there.  Here's some material gleaned quickly from the web:

From Wikipedia

A total of approximately 182 earthworm taxa in 12 families are reported from America north of Mexico, i.e., USA & Canada, of which 60 (ca. 33%) are exotic/introduced. Only two genera of Lumbricid earthworms are indigenous to North America while introduced genera have spread to areas where earthworms did not formerly exist, especially in the north where forest development relies on a large amount of undecayed leaf matter. When worms decompose that leaf layer, the ecology may shift making the habitat unsurvivable for certain species of trees, ferns and wildflowers. Another possible ecologic impact of greater earthworm numbers: larger earthworms (e.g. the night crawler, Lumbricus terrestris, and the Alabama jumper, Amynthas agrestis) can be eaten by adult salamanders, and when the salamanders do consume the earthworms they are more successful at reproduction. However, those earthworms are too large for juvenile salamanders to consume, which leads to a net loss in salamander population.

Currently there is no economically feasible method for controlling invasive earthworms in forests. Earthworms normally spread slowly, but can be quickly introduced by human activities such as construction earthmoving, or by fishermen releasing bait, or by plantings.

From US Department of Agriculture

WHAT DO EARTHWORMS DO?

Earthworms dramatically alter soil structure, water movement, nutrient dynamics, and plant growth. They are not essential to all healthy soil systems, but their presence is usually an indicator of a healthy system. Earthworms perform several beneficial functions.
Stimulate microbial activity. Although earthworms derive their nutrition from microorganisms, many more microorganisms are present in their feces or casts than in the organic matter that they consume. As organic matter passes through their intestines, it is fragmented and inoculated with microorganisms. Increased microbial activity facilitates the cycling of nutrients from organic matter and their conversion into forms readily taken up by plants.

Mix and aggregate soil. As they consume organic matter and mineral particles, earthworms excrete wastes in the form of casts, a type of soil aggregate. Charles Darwin calculated that earthworms can move large amounts of soil from the lower strata to the surface and also carry organic matter down into deeper soil layers. A large proportion of soil passes through the guts of earthworms, and they can turn over the top six inches (15 cm) of soil in ten to twenty years.

Increase infiltration. Earthworms enhance porosity as they move through the soil. Some species make permanent burrows deep into the soil. These burrows can persist long after the inhabitant has died, and can be a major conduit for soil drainage, particularly under heavy rainfall. At the same time, the burrows minimize surface water erosion. The horizontal burrowing of other species in the top several inches of soil increases overall porosity and drainage.

Improve water-holding capacity. By fragmenting organic matter, and increasing soil porosity and aggregation, earthworms can significantly increase the water-holding capacity of soils.

Provide channels for root growth. The channels made by deep-burrowing earthworms are lined with readily available nutrients and make it easier for roots to penetrate deep into the soil.

Bury and shred plant residue. Plant and crop residue are gradually buried by cast material deposited on the surface and as earthworms pull surface residue into their burrows.

Steve Okula

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
Melvyn,

Who was Hamilton, what was his full name, when was he "keeper of the green" at St. Andrews, and how did he do away with the earthworms?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
When golfers come off the course with their new, white, Dry Joys covered in mud, they are most unreceptive to lectures on the benefits of earthworms, I'm here to tell you.

I got a stain on a new pair of hiking socks thanks to some mud along the Appalachian Trail. Should I refer to the local trail club to complain?

Wah.

Nature's aerators. Keep them. Deal with it.

Steve Okula

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »

I got a stain on a new pair of hiking socks thanks to some mud along the Appalachian Trail. Should I refer to the local trail club to complain?

Wah.

Nature's aerators. Keep them. Deal with it.

You don't pay $15000 a year to hike the Appalachian trail.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
Steve

Hugh Hamilton took over from Old Tom as keeper of the Green but I believe was sacked circa 1912. I attach for your info a copy of an article on aeration that might be of interest.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:11:28 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:57 AM »

Grant

I hope I have added to the thought process re Worms on this topic and also re this site. Perhaps not in line with your intentions but still a little knowledge from history never hurts.

As we are starting to learn in Science and Engineering we seem to have forgotten much that the Ancients knew. Whatever, I trust that my posts have at least been informative, showing that some of us do know a little more than some at times suspect.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back