News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Pull The Trigger
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
The Current thread "Math Questions- Re-Better Ball Tactics" reminded me of another match play tactic that is used. When partners are both on in regulation with one having a relatively short putt and the other being away so as to control the order of play he may choose to have his partner "pull the trigger" in an attempt to a)put pressure on his opponents who may have one or both players on in regulation and if made now need birdie to halve and b) not have to show the line to an opponent who has a similiar putt. Of course the strategy looks foolish if the short putt is missed.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Pull The Trigger
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
Tim,

About the biggest strategy I have seen lately occurs in those Scramble tourneys, where the team buys mulligans and only uses them for putts.  If you need to use a scramble mully for anything but, you really have a problem, and can call home to say you aren't going to win the tournament.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
Tim,

About the biggest strategy I have seen lately occurs in those Scramble tourneys, where the team buys mulligans and only uses them for putts.  If you need to use a scramble mully for anything but, you really have a problem, and can call home to say you aren't going to win the tournament.

Jeff-Agreed. Why not give that extra Money to the charity? You will find a $100 bill in the parking lot on the way in before you win one of those tournaments.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »
Tim,

Depending on what the charity is, I have donated my prize back to the auction pool to increase their take.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
Tim,

Actually, Jeff, I have been playing some scrambles lately with a couple of guys who play more scramble golf than real golf, and they've proven to me that using mulligans on putts is a waste of money.

They use them on short iron shots, usually wedges.

Think about it.

99% of the teams I see use them on putts of at least 20 feet, which have no more than a 5% chance of going in. Using a Mullie only gives you one more attempt at low odds.

Unless you're all hopeless iron players, it's a better bet that you can improve on 20 feet with your fifth wedge shot, giving you four tries at higher odds.

Playing with them, I have seen the strategy pay off many times.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 06:43:55 AM »
The Current thread "Math Questions- Re-Better Ball Tactics" reminded me of another match play tactic that is used. When partners are both on in regulation with one having a relatively short putt and the other being away so as to control the order of play he may choose to have his partner "pull the trigger" in an attempt to a)put pressure on his opponents who may have one or both players on in regulation and if made now need birdie to halve and b) not have to show the line to an opponent who has a similiar putt. Of course the strategy looks foolish if the short putt is missed.

Tim

That runs contrary to the conventional thinking in this neck of the woods. Rather than have the guy closest hole out it would be best for the guy furthest away to go first, if he sinks it all well and good. If he misses the opponents still aren't sure whether the player closest to the hole will definitely hole the putt which puts them in two minds on whether to be aggressive or not with their putt. In that situation I've seen the short putt given by the opponents (assuming that there is a pretty likely chance it will be holed) so as to take any doubt out of their mind on whether they need to sink their putt or not.

Generally the only time the partner closest to the hole goes first is where they have played one more and there sinking of the putt would allow the other partner to have "a run at the hole".

Niall

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Tim,

Actually, Jeff, I have been playing some scrambles lately with a couple of guys who play more scramble golf than real golf, and they've proven to me that using mulligans on putts is a waste of money.

They use them on short iron shots, usually wedges.

Think about it.

99% of the teams I see use them on putts of at least 20 feet, which have no more than a 5% chance of going in. Using a Mullie only gives you one more attempt at low odds.

Unless you're all hopeless iron players, it's a better bet that you can improve on 20 feet with your fifth wedge shot, giving you four tries at higher odds.

Playing with them, I have seen the strategy pay off many times.

K

Years ago I holed a 120-yard wedge shot using a mulligan in a big charity scramble.  That ignited our team and we made everything.  Afterwards we cleaned out the pro shop!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
While good for fund raising, designing in, the aspect of cheating (The Mulligan) is not good for golf, has never, and will never be good for golf.

I'm reminded of hearing some Denver football pro, justifying his teams ridiculously low score..."Everyone cheats at golf". A greater pity could not be had.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back