News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Last time you four putted?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
Today! Had a birdie putt of about 25 feet on a relatively flat green. Blew it by the hole about 6 feet. The return putt lipped out to about 3 feet. Missed that one. Definitely the architect's fault :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
Peter Pittock and Mark Smolens have both touched on the important question and answer. That the blame resides with the golfer not the architecture or speed.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
To second Adam's comment....

The last time I four putted (or worse) was earlier this week.  Camden's third hole has a very severe top right corner, and that was the pin.  I hit a shot to ten or so feet, but the put had at least six feet of break.  Missed, had 10 feet back up the hill.  Hit it too hard, and had 3 feet back.  Missed, and since we were playing Stableford, never finished (it would have been at least 20 feet if not in the bunker).

The next day, with the same pin, I hit my approach to about 15 feet, in the correct area of the green.  I hit a good putt and made birdie. 

The fault is NOT with the architect, the Super, or anything else other than the golfer.

Jamey

mike_beene

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
I play an old course with a lot of front to back slope.Every few months I will four putt.It is almost always when I get above the hole and get cute,leaving a second putt downhill that then will role by six feet no matter how well struck,then miss the come backer.Happened last week and will happen again.Don't get above the hole on about half our greens or a four putt will happen.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
2009 -the 10th hole at Crystal Downs. Got above the hole and was dead. 3 putt was possible ,but then so was a 4 putt :(. A very severe green,possibly too severe given where the pin was that afternoon.                           
                                                                                        Jack

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
I like Jamey's response.  Past three putts it's the player's fault, plain and simple.

This may not be the last time, but it's worth mentioning.  Three or four years ago I was playing with a regular group.  Typical games were at stake.  I shot even par, I think, on the front nine and made a few birdies coming in.  On the eighteenth tee, my playing partner put his hand on my shoulder and said "If you make birdie here you'll shoot 29 on the back nine."  I added things up and sure enough he was correct.  I hit a good drive and my approach stopped inside twenty feet.

I four putted for double bogey.

The next day I got an email with the following link: http://towdaline.blogspot.com/2007/03/ride-her-til-she-bucks-ya.html.  My partner had documented the collapse, about which I heard all summer from the guys.

WW
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:03:44 PM by wwhitehead »

Dan Grossman

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 02:22:09 AM »
Last fall, I was playing Rustic Canyon with some folks and we were playing in a 20 - 25 mph wind. For those of you who have not played the course, the course climbs into a canyon with the back nine at higher elevation than the front. The wind was blowing down canyon, and we played into a stiff breeze on many of the holes, especially #13 a par 5. I managed to get to the front fringe in three, and then took 6 to get it in the hole from there. The green is horseshoe shaped, and essentially three tiered, with the back tier being elevated. The front tier is separated by a bunker, hence the horseshoe shape and three tiers. With the wind blowing, it took a perfect putt to have the ball stop near the hole.

My first putt (technically a chip) since I was on the fringe, trundeled 60 feet up the slope, almost stopped 3 feet left and 3 feet above the hole, and then proceeded to roll 40 feet downwind back down the slope. The next 3 attempts were no better, and I ended in the same spot (40 feet away, up the hill) putting for 8.  I was able to use the side slope to kill the speed a bit (and helped by a ball mark), I got the ball to stop 2 feet away. I ran up there and stuffed it in for 9.

Putting on the remaining holes was interesting and there were a couple of four putts, although none as bad as my experience on #13.

That's a long winded way of saying, sometimes it's just the conditions. My playing parters and I hit reasonable putts and the greens at rustic are great (maybe not #15).  That day, three putts were good and 4 putts weren't bad.

Alex Miller

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »
 :-[ Hole 5 at old mac during the KP. Four putt from 40 ft. Left the first putt 12ft above the hole (2ft vertically), couldn't stop the next one closer than 5-6 feet, and missed that one. I don't four putt often, but when I do, I prefer Bandon...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 08:00:34 AM »
WW. Are u saying that 3 putts can be the architectures fault? (Include maintenance meld). If so I still disagree. The golfer has still misplayed at least one shot. Misplayed I define as failure to observe the correct speed and line with improper execution. Because after all, a miss read and a mis hit can yield a good putt. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Lang

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 10:49:03 AM »
 8) does it count if you putt off the green and have to chip back on?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »
I took the long drive out to Maidstone about 2 years ago. It was my first time playing the course, and I really wanted to play well. I got on the first tee, and managed a good first drive, followed by a second shot that was 15 feet above the hole. I walked to the green feeling pretty good about myself. My first putt "slid" past the hole and left me with about a 20 foot comebacker. (it turns out the greens were fast) I missed the next putt short, and had about 7 feet for my three putt, which I missed. Needless to say, I walked to the second tee feeling pretty bad about my game!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
I took the long drive out to Maidstone about 2 years ago. It was my first time playing the course, and I really wanted to play well. I got on the first tee, and managed a good first drive, followed by a second shot that was 15 feet above the hole. I walked to the green feeling pretty good about myself. My first putt "slid" past the hole and left me with about a 20 foot comebacker. (it turns out the greens were fast) I missed the next putt short, and had about 7 feet for my three putt, which I missed. Needless to say, I walked to the second tee feeling pretty bad about my game!
"
I played Crystal Downs on a very dry and windy day in October. Mike Miller came to see the two of us at the first tee. He said "sorry about the speed of the greens, its a combination of wind, lack of rain and limited growth - it will be tough." I had a short birdie putt on the 1st, but was above the hole (cut in the front), and promptly putt it off the green, chipped up long, putt the ball back off the green again and laughed. I four putted and two chipped!

He was right, but we had fun all day since we stopped keeping score after two holes.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adam Clayman

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
Seve- if you putt off the green that's one putt. If you chip and hole your next putt its a two putt green. Putting from off the green does not count as a putt.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
Adam:

A three putt can result from a bad break, like an old ball mark or a sand grain that bumps the ball offline.  Four, though, and the player has only himself to blame.

I tend to say the player is at fault no matter what, but he's definitely on the hook when he putts more than thrice.

And now, I've used the word thrice.

WW

Adam Clayman

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
ww. I'm sorry I must have mis-read your intent. Thanks for clarifying.   

Tim Martin

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »
I like Jamey's response.  Past three putts it's the player's fault, plain and simple.

This may not be the last time, but it's worth mentioning.  Three or four years ago I was playing with a regular group.  Typical games were at stake.  I shot even par, I think, on the front nine and made a few birdies coming in.  On the eighteenth tee, my playing partner put his hand on my shoulder and said "If you make birdie here you'll shoot 29 on the back nine."  I added things up and sure enough he was correct.  I hit a good drive and my approach stopped inside twenty feet.

I four putted for double bogey.

The next day I got an email with the following link: http://towdaline.blogspot.com/2007/03/ride-her-til-she-bucks-ya.html.  My partner had documented the collapse, about which I heard all summer from the guys.

WW

WW-Nice to have friends huh :D

John Kirk

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »
:-[ Hole 5 at old mac during the KP. Four putt from 40 ft. Left the first putt 12ft above the hole (2ft vertically), couldn't stop the next one closer than 5-6 feet, and missed that one. I don't four putt often, but when I do, I prefer Bandon...

40 quatloos for the newcomer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjeyWNolnXA

The last four putt I remember is the first hole at Stone Eagle during the first round of the club championship about three years ago.  There's a middle pin placement that is very treacherous.  Pin high or long on approach means long second putt.  A bit too frisky on uphill putt means knee knocker next.

mike_malone

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
 None of your business Mr. McBride.

BTW the third at Llanerch is no embarrassment to 4 putt.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:05:44 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Will MacEwen

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
I had a beauty on #5 at Bandon at the KP.  Two putts to win, I had about 40 feet slightly uphill.  Making 4 lost us the hole.  John Kirk must have felt a long day ahead.

I righted the ship for a few holes and then let John carry the back 9, and the four spot was thankfully forgiven and forgotten.

John Kirk

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 01:27:44 AM »
I had a beauty on #5 at Bandon at the KP.  Two putts to win, I had about 40 feet slightly uphill.  Making 4 lost us the hole.  John Kirk must have felt a long day ahead.

I righted the ship for a few holes and then let John carry the back 9, and the four spot was thankfully forgiven and forgotten.

Gee, I had forgotten about that.  Will was front right.  Pin was back left.  Wind was HoWLing.  I'd estimate the length of the first putt at 80 feet.  Will hit it about 40, though. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 04:02:11 AM »
I hope we might get a contribution to this thread from Andrew Mitchell after this weekend. Surely four stabs from 6ft has to have a pretty good story attached? ;D Especially from a man who is usually so deadly with that Scotty Cameron in hand!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:26:27 AM by Scott Warren »

Ian_L

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 04:20:14 AM »
I once witnessed someone 4-putt three holes in a row on the front nine at Mira Vista CC in competition.  Some sort of record?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2011, 07:57:30 AM »
I once witnessed someone 4-putt three holes in a row on the front nine at Mira Vista CC in competition.  Some sort of record?

Which flight?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »
Damn this post I'd been thinking I hadn't four putted in years when twice yesterday I had three foot putts to three putt. Both times all I could think about was this post as the ball......dropped in the hole!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back