News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Last time you four putted?
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
I was perusing a couple of current threads about wild greens and design and thought back to the last time I four putted.

It was on the ninth green at Mountain Lake, the "Short Hole" there.  There is a very distinct "doughnut" in the middle of that green, really a half doughnut with the open end facing the tee.  My short iron approach wound up just on top of the tier at the left end; the hole was cut on top directly opposite about 20 feet away.  Figuring a line and pace to navigate those slippery slopes proved an exercise in spherical geometry beyond my ken.

Four determined efforts later, I holed a four footer for a double bogey.   Raynor knew how to create a challenge for the golfer who is reasonably close to the hole but out of position.

When did YOU last four putt?  Please describe the green, the circumstances, and how the architect's design intent may have played a role in this dismal outcome.

Sean Leary

Re: Last time you four putted?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
I miss, I miss, I miss, I make.

;)

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »
Last year, Pasatiempo #5, and I had to make a six-footer to do it.

Pin was back left, I hit what I thought was a pretty good shot right at it, but came up short and I wound up on the front of the green probably 60 feet away.

Shoved the lag put tright and short, still had about 10-12 feet up the hill.

Rammed that putt (which we can refer to as "lag putt #2") past the hole, leaving a twisty downhill two-footer.  Tapped it and watched it slide six feet past, right back down the hill.

But I confidently stepped up and nailed that sumbitch in the back of the hole.  Never a doubt.  How you like me now, MacKenzie?

I did five-putt a green at Shawnee Lookout GC in North Bend OH back in a high school match.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:04:12 AM by JLahrman »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
Pasatiempo #5, and I had to make a six-footer to do it.

That is such a dramatic back to front slope!

Carr Harris

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
Oh man I'm usually good for about one 4 putt a year.

The last one that really sticks out for me is when I four putted the 17th hole in the 3rd round of my club championship two years ago from like 30 ft below the hole. ::)
I knocked it like 6 ft by, tried to jam that one in down the hill, and had about a 5 ft putt for bogey which never even touched the hole. I looked up after making my double and my playing partner had his back turned to me, he apparantly couldn't bear to watch.

Thankfully I won the tournament the next day or that would be an angry story for me instead of a funny one.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »
This is not really answering the question directly, but I bet there would be many more four putts among all of us if we putted everything out to the bitter end.

I've seen plenty of people lag to maybe 3 feet, and then lip the second putt and have it roll off quite a ways away, but instead of grinding over a 5 footer for a 3-putt bogey, they'll just pick it up and walk away.

My answer to your question, though not statistically technically correct, is the 5th hole at Dormie.

The pin was middle/front and on the right edge. I was back left on the fringe. I putted it off the green and into the front right bunker. I think blasted to 15 feet, and 2 putted from there for a double.

The big issue was that I hit it too hard, and the green's overall slope meant the ball did not slow down. Damn them for putting a bunker there.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »
Simper,

That green is extremely difficult to manage.  I was front left putting towards a back right hole location and was fortunate to 3 putt!

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
Yesterday evening.  We have some severe slopes at my course.  I sent a 10 footer off the green because I forgot about one of them.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
lol!!

4 putts are enevitable!!!!!

Chris Roselle

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
This past weekend during the GAP Team Matches on #3 at Llanerch CC....

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Bill,
I can't remember the last time I 4putted,  but if I did I'd forget it.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Richard Choi

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
I can 4 putt on any green. I think I 4 putted on almost every round at KP!

Chris Flamion

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
1st round of the year. 1st hole....thats what I get for not playing on the putting green

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 12:34:16 PM »
Kingsley Club 13th green.  Always a possibility if you're out of position on that green.  Nothing better than watching guys drive it on that green and four-putt... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Patrick Hodgdon

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
Hard question. But I will tell you my last (first?) five putt which was on the 9th hole at Sagebrush August last. I was back left with the hole cut middle right , about 100 ft. away. The first putt was mishit and took the slope around the bumker and ended up near the left  front, no gained yardage. I scuffed the next putt and it nearly made the top of a slope and rolled behind me, lost yardage!. Then a simple 3 putt from 100+.

Has anyone else faced three 100 foot putts during the play of one hole?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:20:51 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike Tanner

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 01:26:37 PM »
Thank God for selective memory. I've done it (more than once), but don't remember the grisly details.

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »

The last one that really sticks out for me is when I four putted the 17th hole in the 3rd round of my club championship two years ago from like 30 ft below the hole. ::)
I knocked it like 6 ft by, tried to jam that one in down the hill, and had about a 5 ft putt for bogey which never even touched the hole. I looked up after making my double and my playing partner had his back turned to me, he apparantly couldn't bear to watch.

Thankfully I won the tournament the next day or that would be an angry story for me instead of a funny one.

I'm probably good for one per round if the greens are at all tricky (I'm not a very good putter).  But if you're only four-putting once a year, you are a VERY good putter.  My guess is the average PGA pro (who admittedly probably plays 75+ competitive rounds per year, easily) four-putts at that rate.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »

I'm probably good for one per round if the greens are at all tricky (I'm not a very good putter).  But if you're only four-putting once a year, you are a VERY good putter.  My guess is the average PGA pro (who admittedly probably plays 75+ competitive rounds per year, easily) four-putts at that rate.

I would've guessed much less, but apparently 49 players -- out of 195 or so -- have had a 4-putt (or worse) on the Tour this year.  http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?401.  I think they've played about 40% of the events so far, so while you might not get 195 4-putts for the year, it looks like there will be north of 100. . . .

Interestingly, some guys average fewer than a 3-putt once every three rounds.  http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?400

J Sadowsky

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
I would've guessed much less, but apparently 49 players -- out of 195 or so -- have had a 4-putt (or worse) on the Tour this year.  http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?401.  I think they've played about 40% of the events so far, so while you might not get 195 4-putts for the year, it looks like there will be north of 100. . . .

Interestingly, some guys average fewer than a 3-putt once every three rounds.  http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?400.  

Looks like there were 87 4 putters (out of 192) for a total of 147 times in 2010 (led by Ogilvy's 7) and 91 (also out of 192) 4 putters for a 149 times in 2009 (led by Kirk Triplett's 6).  In 2008 it was 108of197/167 and it was 104of196/178 in 2007.   So it looks like over the last 4 years the average was 0.87 per year and the median was (just BARELY) 1 over the last 4 years, though putting has "improved" (or the courses have gotten easier) the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:28:59 AM by Justin Sadowsky »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
Only time in many years...number 1 at National.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
Several times on the front 9 at Yale.  Playing just after the NCAA Eastern Championship (or something...) the greens were at a speed we never see in the UK (not even at the Open) and, frankly, I had no idea.  Got it worked out on the back 9, though.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
Last time I played, I'm sure. I just can't remember when that was.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Rick Sides

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »
The 12th at Merion. 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
5 putted yesterday at Cog #2  >:( Don't really want to try to describe it, other than to say the architect had nothing whatsoever to do with the effort. Complete illustration of LOFT.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back